Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anybody have any experience with pullovers? I never heard of them until the super squat workout above. After a bit of reading, it sounds like it was an old school staple of bodybuilding but isn't popular any more due to fears of injury.

Are the fears of injury justified?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Anybody have any experience with pullovers? I never heard of them until the super squat workout above. After a bit of reading, it sounds like it was an old school staple of bodybuilding but isn't popular any more due to fears of injury.

I used to do them. I stopped because there are better excercises. If you have shoulder issues, they’re best avoided. Like behind the neck presses.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Brian? wrote: »

I used to do them. I stopped because there are better excercises. If you have shoulder issues, they’re best avoided. Like behind the neck presses.
    Is there a specific exercise you would recommend instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Do the pullovers, and see how you like them.
    I enjoy them but only when they are reasonably heavy, say 30kg-ish.
    Get fierce doms in triceps from them oddly enough

Do the pullovers, and see how you like them.
    I enjoy them but only when they are reasonably heavy, say 30kg-ish.
    Get fierce doms in triceps from them oddly enough

Triceps doms? I don’t think you’re doing them with straight arms so. You’re basically doing a skull crusher.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is there a specific exercise you would recommend instead?

I’d do pull ups super setter with DB incline presses.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Brian? wrote: »
    Triceps doms? I don’t think you’re doing them with straight arms so. You’re basically doing a skull crusher.

The long head of the tricep plays a role in shoulder extension so it isn't inconceivable the pull overs (even with the straight arms) could make them sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Elbows are slightly bent on them, you can't totally straight arm pullovers. But there is no extension like in skullcrushers.
    Yeah pal, good call on the long head.
    That's it, bringing pullovers back!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I throw these in sporadically, have never felt much activation in my lats doing them but i get a great stretch on my pecs from them. As long as you are able to control the weight and have relatively healthy shoulders (my shoulder mobility is brutal and i have never had issues) then i dont think there is any more risk of injury than any other exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Has anyone successfully managed to do a front lever?

If so, how long did it take to get there out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Sangre wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully managed to do a front lever?

If so, how long did it take to get there out of interest?

How tall are you?

With the right progressions, and being on the shorter/lighter side, about 6 months. I used to be into calisthenics and the guys on the forums who were shorter had a way better time than the tall feckers like me. I could never get it down with about a year of bodyweight work at 6'0 and maybe 70kg.

BadBannana wrote: »
    How tall are you?

With the right progressions, and being on the shorter/lighter side, about 6 months. I used to be into calisthenics and the guys on the forums who were shorter had a way better time than the tall feckers like me. I could never get it down with about a year of bodyweight work at 6'0 and maybe 70kg.

Thanks. I'm 174cm so not tall but I'm 80kg so not super light for my height either.

I am working with a PT on this so not completely on my own learning the ropes but just curious how others got on. Biggest problem I fine is fatigue. Given that its quite hard to scale the exercise while progressing, the system gets friend pretty quickly and strength just drops off a clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks. I'm 174cm so not tall but I'm 80kg so not super light for my height either.

I am working with a PT on this so not completely on my own learning the ropes but just curious how others got on. Biggest problem I fine is fatigue. Given that its quite hard to scale the exercise while progressing, the system gets friend pretty quickly and strength just drops off a clip.
    What progression are you using?
    Levers are a move that I feel scale very well.
    Tucked lever, half tucked, one legged, straddle lever, front lever, etc.
    Time being another progression.

Mellor wrote: »
    What progression are you using?
    Levers are a move that I feel scale very well.
    Tucked lever, half tucked, one legged, straddle lever, front lever, etc.
    Time being another progression.

Scale is probably the wrong word. More that it is very easy to go to failure.

I'm doing various tuck variations and ice cream maker. I also do tuck work by leaning back on two boxes up on my elbows - not sure how to describe.

I know what you mean. Tuck and ice-cream makers are grand. The tricky part for me was to consistently "tuck less". Ended up going with one legged even though time dropped to a few seconds

I'm currently working on doing a tuck with back parallel to floor and upper legs perpendicular to the floor. Its quite tough but forces you into a better position. Actually find it more difficult than one legged as its hard to cheat.

I mess around with back lever as well but don't focus on it.

I'm currently working on doing a tuck with back parallel to floor and upper legs perpendicular to the floor. Its quite tough but forces you into a better position. Actually find it more difficult than one legged as its hard to cheat.

I mess around with back lever as well but don't focus on it.

I think the general consensus is to get front first as back is more stressful on joints.

I need to go back to them and build back up. Soon. Maybe

Clarence Kennedy is apparently going to be making his powerlifting debut in August

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Clarence Kennedy is apparently going to be making his powerlifting debut in August

Any indication of the fed?

ABS Open. So it's non-sanctioned but IPF rules.

Definitely going to that.

• Advertisement

ABS Open. So it's non-sanctioned but IPF rules.

Definitely going to that.

It's not a tested comp either...and the IPF doesn't inspect watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Source?

IPF discussion group on Facebook anyway. ABS pro event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

As an aside, I believe the man this thread was named after was married yesterday, congrats to him and his (now) wife.

VW 1 wrote: »
    As an aside, I believe the man this thread was named after was married yesterday, congrats to him and his (now) wife.

Technically the man this thread was named after died in 2016.
    But, the former-poster who named his log after than other man did get married at the weekend judging by his photos online.

Congrats to the Hanleys

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Technically the man this thread was named after died in 2016.
    But, the former-poster who named his log after than other man did get married at the weekend judging by his photos online.

Congrats to the Hanleys

Is that a typo? Did Hanley name his s**t or his dog after another man?!:eek:

No typo. Nor a sh*t.
    His training log. A portmanteau of of James (Jim) and Kimbo Slice

If the dog was male, it should definitely have been called Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

No typo. Nor a sh*t.
    His training log. A portmanteau of of James (Jim) and Kimbo Slice

Probably the only time the word portmanteau will ever be used on the fitness forum :D I tip my hat, Sir!

• Advertisement

Probably the only time the word portmanteau will ever be used on the fitness forum :D I tip my hat, Sir!

Hat. Itself a portmanteau of head and coat.

Advertisement