Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

Mine doesn't reopen until tomorrow :(:(

Delighted the snow has finally gone - it had been very treacherous - think I broke my finger by catching it under a kettlebell as I had to train at home :mad:

Yeah it was good craic for a day or two then the novelty wore off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Savage lift at that weight. Do they always allow straps?

It's a bit like an elite expo. Dan Green pulled 408kg (900 lbs) beltless with straps. Cailer Woolam pulled 930lbs but couldn't lock out

bluewolf wrote: »
    good news everyone
    my gym has reopened today
    i just have to survive the trip

Mine opened yesterday. Only one in the area so there was an influx of people on day passes. A lot of them didn't seem to know how to not be a spa. I felt sorry for anyone squatting because they were walking past racks, brushing off the bars as someone prepared to squat.

Omg actual legal grounds for murder

Also its packed in here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

My gym was open throughout the snow, Connaught Hotel Galway. One night it closed at 10pm, rather than being open 24h. It helps that I live 50m away as the crow flies :)

• Advertisement

rocky wrote: »
    My gym was open throughout the snow, Connaught Hotel Galway. One night it closed at 10pm, rather than being open 24h. It helps that I live 50m away as the crow flies :)

Duggans ploughed on as well.

Is the gym in the Connaught any good? I usually use Warehouse when I'm down but was always curious about Connaught gym. Looked a bit machiney and cardio based from what I saw online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Emma done and dusted, 0 training days missed :) a good wedge of cardio stuck in there too doing farmers walks each day from the shops in the snow, big plus was catching up on lots of sleep too; still trying to figure out how many cals are burnt rolling a snowman (lots imo), still nice to get back to a normal routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a bit like an elite expo. Dan Green pulled 408kg (900 lbs) beltless with straps. Cailer Woolam pulled 930lbs but couldn't lock out

I remember Eddie Hall pulling something mad at the Aussie Arnold.
    Was considering going down to it this year. Still am I guess

Mellor wrote: »
    I remember Eddie Hall pulling something mad at the Aussie Arnold.
    Was considering going down to it this year. Still am I guess

462kg I think. About 3 years ago?

I think that's where he actually started to get a bit more recognition. I remember watching thinking all he wants to do is go mental and he has to get on his knees to get the straps off :)

462kg I think. About 3 years ago?

I think that's where he actually started to get a bit more recognition. I remember watching thinking all he wants to do is go mental and he has to get on his knees to get the straps off :)

I would have guessed 2 years ago, but checked and it was 2015 alright. 462kg with straps, left Arnold hanging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I can't get my head around how people can be that strong, thor was at it as well

-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I read Eddie Hall's autobiography recently. He went into great detail about his 500kg deadlift right from how he had his handlers prepared right down to having a doctor monitoring him consistently for 3 hours after the event (doctor didn't understand how his heart didn't explode). It takes a special type of person to channel the amount of strength needed to complete lifts like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Mine opened yesterday. Only one in the area so there was an influx of people on day passes. A lot of them didn't seem to know how to not be a spa. I felt sorry for anyone squatting because they were walking past racks, brushing off the bars as someone prepared to squat.

Was that Southside in Sandyford?

I gave the gym a miss since last Tuesday. Just too dangerous to even bother.

I just ate instead which I think has increased my bench pr :D:D

Caliden wrote: »
    Was that Southside in Sandyford?

I gave the gym a miss since last Tuesday. Just too dangerous to even bother.

Raw in Portobello.

Somehow the bench was free when I got in! Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone have any yoga/pilates recommendations for West Dublin?

Also what's the difference between yoga and pilates :confused:?

i found pilates more core work than yoga
    yoga was maybe more flexibility and varied. still just as tough though.
    i also found yoga was very different depending on the teachers and probably the discipline - some were very about the spiritual and some were more like exercise only

i found pilates more core work than yoga
    yoga was maybe more flexibility and varied. still just as tough though.
    i also found yoga was very different depending on the teachers and probably the discipline - some were very about the spiritual and some were more like exercise only

Only ever really did yoga but the right teacher made a big difference. I used feel great after it...so limber

High bar squats can bite my shiny metal ass

That's how I feel about low bar.
    Been doing them for a few weeks now and just not feeling it. I just don't feel like I generate any tension at parallel unless I go awkwardly wide. I definitely noticed my squat changing as I improved on my flexibility.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I can't get my head around how people can be that strong, thor was at it as well

https://twitter.com/RogueFitness/status/970058484766117889

Savage pull.
    Anybody know what the basis is for calling it a WR given Eddie's 500 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Mellor wrote: »
    Savage pull.
    Anybody know what the basis is for calling it a WR given Eddie's 500 last year.

its a WR on a 10ft Rogue Elephant bar without a suit and with straps

whippet wrote: »

Went back and re-read it and clicked it was an "elephant bar record".
    Seems a bit cheap to be over specific.
    Looking forward to him taking a shot at 501kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Well that's specific.

BRB I'm gonna go do a WR with one right strap and one left wrap on. Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It is cheap, yes. But in fairness, many strength sports records are cheap. Tested/untested. Raw/raw with wraps/raw with sleeves/single ply/multi ply. Deadlift with deadlift bar/stiff bar/with straps. Bench with heels down/up.

But this one is particularly cheap because it was a Rogue sponsored event with a Rogue bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Low bar or high bar, if you don't feel that way about either you probably need to do more.

On a semi related note, how common is it for lifters to have a callous on their neck? My brother has one by my gym is freezing so I'm always squatting with a hooded on

ah i've had plenty of 'will these effing squats ever effing end' days with lb as well, i just still prefer it to hb!!
    sounds like it's a bit too high if you're getting neck irritation from it
    or at least that would be high on me

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Low bar or high bar, if you don't feel that way about either you probably need to do more.

On a semi related note, how common is it for lifters to have a callous on their neck? My brother has one by my gym is freezing so I'm always squatting with a hooded on

Yeah. I get a bit of a callous from the bar between my shoulders. Lbbs. Don’t really notice it touching during lifts but obviously it does.

I read Eddie Hall's autobiography recently. He went into great detail about his 500kg deadlift right from how he had his handlers prepared right down to having a doctor monitoring him consistently for 3 hours after the event (doctor didn't understand how his heart didn't explode). It takes a special type of person to channel the amount of strength needed to complete lifts like that.

Was watching an interview with him after it and he really didn't fancy the thought of ever going after that weight again. The (physical) pressure, blood-soaked beard....

On a slightly separate note, I find he comes across quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

There is some funny antics in Facebook land about the legitimacy of one of our many powerlifting feds !!! Bit nasty at times but bizzare !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

There is some funny antics in Facebook land about the legitimacy of one of our many powerlifting feds !!! Bit nasty at times but bizzare !

Oh ??

Advertisement