Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

A fallout from the GPC National Championships that we on in Limerick over the weekend .. some accusations of cheating .. bullying and muck being slung. I believe have few people have stepped down from the committee of the GPC in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

whippet wrote: »
    A fallout from the GPC National Championships that we on in Limerick over the weekend .. some accusations of cheating .. bullying and muck being slung. I believe have few people have stepped down from the committee of the GPC in the aftermath.

Quick search on FB had a post or two available, not familiar at all with GPC...

Actually, does anyone have any idea on the numbers involved in each organisation?

Quick search on FB had a post or two available, not familiar at all with GPC...

Actually, does anyone have any idea on the numbers involved in each organisation?

GPC is relatively small in Ireland but very big in the UK .. it is concentrated really around one gym in limerick and it’s national championships are held in this tiny gym. Looking at the flight lists for the weekend they had about 36 lifters in total.

The IPO / AIPO comp in a few weeks have about 120 lifters over the weekend and that was well over subscribed so plenty more wanted to but couldn’t lift. The IPO run Pro Invitational the week after has about 60 top end lifters.

The IrishPF seem to be able to fill every comp they run ... I don’t know much about the IDPFA and the IDPFF (the I can’t believe it’s not the IDPFA organisation)

In reality the GPC are not that relevant in Ireland and are the only fed who don’t have a ‘tested’ section.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

whippet wrote: »
    In reality the GPC are not that relevant in Ireland and are the only fed who don’t have a ‘tested’ section.

So accusations of not hitting depth eh? Or not testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

IPO has the AIPO which is tested; IrishPF and the IDFPA are tested; the GPC isnt tested.

• Advertisement

Accusations of national and international records being set with very high squats etc... but even accusations of the wrong bar being used in the squats .. GPC uses a 25kg squat bar and some are saying that a 20kg bar was being used instead .... plus a load of handbag talk about bad blood etc.

GPC is ‘untested’ so no issue there.

The IPO introduced the AIPO section last year and that is tested ... as a minimum all the best lifters are tested and they have them separated in to diffeeent flights / days ... so it’s like two comps run side by side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

whats the story with lads on instagram pretending to have accidentally glued their hands together,
    or the one where it looks like they caught a mouse and are keeping it safe?

whats the story with lads on instagram pretending to have accidentally glued their hands together,
    or the one where it looks like they caught a mouse and are keeping it safe?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

They were eating tide pods a few weeks ago. I just don't understand the youth of today... I'm so old

Blacktie. wrote: »
    They were eating tide pods a few weeks ago. I just don't understand the youth of today... I'm so old

I must be past the age where I even know about these things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

G

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    G

Shock?

Unit?

Spot?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Shock?

Unit?

Spot?

What?

Force :)

Motion to ban high reps say aye

bluewolf wrote: »
    Motion to ban high reps say aye

I hate myself so nay.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Dunno if any of you guys have tried Nsun's 531 variant but it's kicking my arse, 17 working sets between squats and deadlifts today!

Power Perfects half price (for the blue/grey ones)

https://m.adidas.ie/power-perfect-3-shoes/DA9878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Power Perfects half price (for the blue/grey ones)

https://m.adidas.ie/power-perfect-3-shoes/DA9878.html

Oh Alf... I really wish you hadn't posted that, they are an exceptionally pretty colourway (/uses sharpie to black out credit card number)

Oh Alf... I really wish you hadn't posted that, they are an exceptionally pretty colourway (/uses sharpie to black out credit card number)

I was just glad they weren't Powerlifts.

What's the difference between pp2 and pp3? Getting a load of powerlifts results on google

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    What's the difference between pp2 and pp3? Getting a load of powerlifts results on google

Probably just colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Quick question - my gym (in the UK) is under attack from a new gym opening across the road in 3 months, with the new place offering cheaper membership, more (and newer) equipment and better facilities in general. Everyone is talking about it and myself and the group I train with have all signed up as it's only a tenner a month. Anyway, one of the lads in our group, Bob, runs our unofficial spinning classes 2 - 3 days a week. He's an interesting fella, but is all about keeping fit and his spinning classes are absolutely brilliant.

Today the gym manager pulled him aside to let him know that they're aware of him pushing the other gym, talking it up and generally promoting it. He's not an employee of the new gym (nor of the current one) and his motives for considering a move to the new gym seem the same as everyone else (cheaper, new equipment, etc.) but they targeted him and gave him two choices; a) stop promoting the new gym, or b) get a ban from the current gym. He's a very stubborn fella, so told them to f-off and is now officially banned!

My question is, can my gym do this? Do they have the right to ban a paying member for talking up another gym among people he knows? He's been going there for 5 - 6 years so knows a lot of people but we're all talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

SuprSi wrote: »
    Quick question - my gym (in the UK) is under attack from a new gym opening across the road in 3 months, with the new place offering cheaper membership, more (and newer) equipment and better facilities in general. Everyone is talking about it and myself and the group I train with have all signed up as it's only a tenner a month. Anyway, one of the lads in our group, Bob, runs our unofficial spinning classes 2 - 3 days a week. He's an interesting fella, but is all about keeping fit and his spinning classes are absolutely brilliant.

Today the gym manager pulled him aside to let him know that they're aware of him pushing the other gym, talking it up and generally promoting it. He's not an employee of the new gym (nor of the current one) and his motives for considering a move to the new gym seem the same as everyone else (cheaper, new equipment, etc.) but they targeted him and gave him two choices; a) stop promoting the new gym, or b) get a ban from the current gym. He's a very stubborn fella, so told them to f-off and is now officially banned!

My question is, can my gym do this? Do they have the right to ban a paying member for talking up another gym among people he knows? He's been going there for 5 - 6 years so knows a lot of people but we're all talking about it.

My guess would be absolutely not unless there's some clause in the T's&C's of his contract which provides for something like this. Otherwise he'd have a good claim for breach of contract tbh.

If he's just a member, he should be reasonably happy if he gets the balance of his membership returned so he can go join the new gym.

They're not in the right or anything but it sounds like they're a bunch of kunts so a return of membership (pro rata) and go join the new gym he likes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

If he's just a member, he should be reasonably happy if he gets the balance of his membership returned so he can go join the new gym.

They're not in the right or anything but it sounds like they're a bunch of kunts so a return of membership (pro rata) and go join the new gym he likes

Why are they a bunch of kunts? I mean sure they could have handled it with a bit more tact but I can completely understand why they would not be happy with having someone promote another gym on their premises. If I owned an gym and a long time member started promoting another gym (and then told me to fck off when pulled up on it) while still using my facility I would be pretty fcking livid to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

depends on all the facts, but if he's actually encouraging others to move, then I'd be inclined to think they are entirely justified.

They are entitled to protect their business. There may be something in the membership rules about compensating if the member causes damage to the gym/equipment.

If there is, he's in breach of this (business of the gym = gym). If not, they probably should consider refunding his balance membership.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Why are they a bunch of kunts? I mean sure they could have handled it with a bit more tact but I can completely understand why they would not be happy with having someone promote another gym on their premises. If I owned an gym and a long time member started promoting another gym (and then told me to fck off when pulled up on it) while still using my facility I would be pretty fcking livid to say the least.

I was about to respond and re-read the post and had misread something so was probably wrong above.

But they don't have any grounds to ban him. Could just have offered him his membership back on a pro rata basis and said he could join the other gym since he thinks it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Hopefully some of you can answer.
    Does anyone know what music in southside gym, sandyford is like?
    Is it loud?
    Do they play much modern hip hop?
    Do they play much EDM?
    I can’t handle the stuff in my current gym any longer.
    And no I’m not getting ear phones.
    Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks all, he was given an option to stop promoting the other gym and retain his membership but declined, I guess the question was what right the gym has to bar him for conversation amongst his mates, albeit conversation potentially detrimental to the gym, but they have to protect their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Hopefully some of you can answer.
    Does anyone know what music in southside gym, sandyford is like?
    Is it loud?
    Do they play much modern hip hop?
    Do they play much EDM?
    I can’t handle the stuff in my current gym any longer.
    And no I’m not getting ear phones.
    Thanks for any info.

You'd literally pay the cost of a new membership over getting earphones?

Advertisement