Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hopefully some of you can answer.
    Does anyone know what music in southside gym, sandyford is like?
    Is it loud?
    Do they play much modern hip hop?
    Do they play much EDM?
    I can’t handle the stuff in my current gym any longer.
    And no I’m not getting ear phones.
    Thanks for any info.

Im sure there’s gonna be times a song or 2 will come on that u hate? Do you walk out?
    I hate the tripe that my gym plays through it’s speakers. So I use earphones and I’m guaranteed to hear the music I like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hopefully some of you can answer.
    Does anyone know what music in southside gym, sandyford is like?
    Is it loud?
    Do they play much modern hip hop?
    Do they play much EDM?
    I can’t handle the stuff in my current gym any longer.
    And no I’m not getting ear phones.
    Thanks for any info.

Good luck finding a gym that doesn’t play crap dance music and hip hop. I actually enjoy electronic music and hip hop and hate the music in nearly every gym.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I only notice the music in the gym if a decent song comes on. Otherwise I just tune it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

BadBannana wrote: »
    You'd literally pay the cost of a new membership over getting earphones?
    My membership is up soon anyway. However, I don’t like wearing earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Brian? wrote: »
    Good luck finding a gym that doesn’t play crap dance music and hip hop.

I thought that would be the case. Going to just have to put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I prefer hearing bad music to the sounds my joints make during heavy squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

There was an attempt of a 400kg deadlift at the IPO nationals yesterday ... first time it’s ever been attempted at an Irish comp ... it was Eamonn Hartford in the SHW class ... only got to his knees but his second attempt at 370 absolutly flew up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Was reading up a bit on drop sets and have a query.

Does it make any difference if you get the volume in during the warm up sets or drop sets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

TRS30 wrote: »

Does it make any difference if you get the volume in during the warm up sets or drop sets?

Does your muscle know the difference?

No but it's going to limit how heavy you can go for working sets if you're trying to do a lot of volume on the way up as opposed to on drop sets.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »

You need the muscle to know as little as possible...easier to elicit muscle confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

No but it's going to limit how heavy you can go for working sets if you're trying to do a lot of volume on the way up as opposed to on drop sets.

Makes sense. Will adjust to move reps from warm up to drop sets.
    Blacktie. wrote: »

You need the muscle to know as little as possible...easier to elicit muscle confusion.
    Sarcasm??

Sarcasm??

On the second part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 roreilly123

Anyone here have any idea the times that Flyefit portobello would be at its quietest. When its busiest you cant do anything. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Anyone here have any idea the times that Flyefit portobello would be at its quietest. When its busiest you cant do anything. Cheers

Look them up on Google and you should see a chart of when they're busiest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

BadBannana wrote: »
    Look them up on Google and you should see a chart of when they're busiest

Though I think that's based on mobile data, so the gym itself might be quiet enough but the selfie areas/mirrors could be jammed! :p:D

So .. Zabir has just squatted 430 and benched 255 raw in limerick this morning !! Both moved like openers !!!

whippet wrote: »
    So .. Zabir has just squatted 430 and benched 255 raw in limerick this morning !! Both moved like openers !!!

Was 430 the second squat? I just saw the 400 opener and 430 and presumed it was the second squat. Loads left in the tank.

Was 430 the second squat? I just saw the 400 opener and 430 and presumed it was the second squat. Loads left in the tank.

I think it was as third .. my live stream wasnt great .. in the US at the moment

And a 390 deadlift for a 1075kg total and 600-odd wilks !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Apparently didn't get it on his 2nd attempt (depth maybe) and had to retake for his 3rd but looked so easy in the video!!

testtech05 wrote: »
    Apparently didn't get it on his 2nd attempt (depth maybe) and had to retake for his 3rd but looked so easy in the video!!

Ah. That makes sense. Looked too easy for a third even though I did wonder if he might be in exhibition mode and lifting well within himself

Does anyone know how the king of the deadlift went ?

I see bodyfirst have just launched a new meal prep service: prepp'd

Clever move from a supplement store, they probably have the strongest brand out there of all the shops in Ireland and links with FlyeFit etc.

https://bodyfirstpreppd.ie/meal-plans/

I see bodyfirst have just launched a new meal prep service: prepp'd

Clever move from a supplement store, they probably have the strongest brand out there of all the shops in Ireland and links with FlyeFit etc.

https://bodyfirstpreppd.ie/meal-plans/

I never understand pricing of these things.
    the paleo meal deliveries charged women more for the same stuff. these ones charge men more, probably because it's more calories i guess.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I never understand pricing of these things.
    the paleo meal deliveries charged women more for the same stuff. these ones charge men more, probably because it's more calories i guess.

Yeah it's based on calories/portion size and all the meal choices are the same for both, so the 2000 cal meals for women (healthy eating) are the same price as the 2000 cal (fat loss) meals for men which makes sense.

However the 2500 cal meals for men (healthy eating) are very slightly cheaper than the 2500 cal meals for women (muscle building).... so I know which I would choose, sure gender is fluid these days wha'? :D

I did think the prices included delivery but that's an extra €7 :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I’m sure Mellor and anyone else around here living in Sydney may be aware of a fitness expo on this weekend. I had heard about this a few months ago but tbh had no intention or desire to go, mainly for two reasons which sum up all of what I hate about the fitness industry.
    1) I get the impression this expo is going to be packed to the rafters with juice head social media “celebrities” and the clowns who fawn over them. I don’t follow any of them (I’m not even on instagram or Snapchat) so I wouldn’t even know who they are anyway.
    2) it’s essentially going to be a platform for supplement companies to flog their wares and put on demonstrations about why you NEED the supplement they’re selling. The use of actual science will be optional with a heavy reliance on broscience and myth.

As it turned out, a few friends want to go to see a few things and tickets are cheap so I’ll tag along. I’ll go with an open mind but if I encounter speakers denouncing scientific facts (eg CICO) and bigging up things like anabolic windows, meal timing, carbs being bad etc etc I’ll call it a day.

Anyone been to these kinds of things? Are my expectations in line with what usually goes on at these sorts of things?

https://fitness-show.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bring an empty backpack and get as much free sh1teee as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 39,389 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cake Man wrote: »
    I’m sure Mellor and anyone else around here living in Sydney may be aware of a fitness expo on this weekend. I had heard about this a few months ago but tbh had no intention or desire to go, mainly for two reasons which sum up all of what I hate about the fitness industry.
    1) I get the impression this expo is going to be packed to the rafters with juice head social media “celebrities” and the clowns who fawn over them. I don’t follow any of them (I’m not even on instagram or Snapchat) so I wouldn’t even know who they are anyway.
    2) it’s essentially going to be a platform for supplement companies to flog their wares and put on demonstrations about why you NEED the supplement they’re selling. The use of actual science will be optional with a heavy reliance on broscience and myth.

As it turned out, a few friends want to go to see a few things and tickets are cheap so I’ll tag along. I’ll go with an open mind but if I encounter speakers denouncing scientific facts (eg CICO) and bigging up things like anabolic windows, meal timing, carbs being bad etc etc I’ll call it a day.

Anyone been to these kinds of things? Are my expectations in line with what usually goes on at these sorts of things?

https://fitness-show.com.au

Seen an ad for it myself the other day. I don't think it will be just a just a juice show. Although that will obviously feature.
    There will will everything from clothing, yoga, supplements, body building, crossfit, and powerlifting.

It's probably more aimed at equipment and industry that shilling shops and anabolic windows.
    http://www.exhibitors.fitness-show.com.au/exhibitor-list/exhibitors-sydney/#search=d%3D%26lo%3D0%26rpp%3D64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So I went to that fitness show yesterday, was alright. Picked up a heap of free protein powder samples that’ll last me at least two weeks. Also got a free EHP Labs tshirt and numerous other samples of protein containing foods throughout the day.
    Got a pic with who I was told a famous bodybuilder Jay Cutler. The fella is a unit. You’d know they were all juiced up to the gills though. Plenty of nice equipment around, would be ideal if you were starting out building your own home gym for example.
    Got a deep stretching session which was handy as I had a heavy leg day on Saturday. Plenty of other rubbish stuff there like “fat burner” shakes, ginseng, detox teas, vibro plates and the like. Some of the shows, demos and actual competitions were enjoyable.
    All in all wasn’t bad, would go back again if it came.

Advertisement