Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Where are you watching this?? Which channel??

Being streamed on YouTube.

Kern US Open:

https://youtu.be/FXHh01usdM4

• Registered Users Posts: 39,387 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Akakide%20Kakhiashvilis%20papucsban.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Today's revelations.

I'm really enjoying box squats.

I found a protein bar I like in the work canteen. Fulfil chocolate and coconut. Tashty

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

On a recommendation, I listened to a recent Joe Rogan podcast with a professor of neuroscience from Berkeley, Matthew Walker, on sleep and it's importance with regards to performance etc.

Found it really good so giving it an official Alf recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

On a recommendation, I listened to a recent Joe Rogan podcast with a professor of neuroscience from Berkeley, Matthew Walker, on sleep and it's importance with regards to performance etc.

Found it really good so giving it an official Alf recommendation.

Link please?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Link please?

I have it on the Stitcher app so I don't have a link. Look up The Joe Rogan Experience episode #1109.

Edit: it's on the choobs here:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwaWilO_Pig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I have it on the Stitcher app so I don't have a link. Look up The Joe Rogan Experience episode #1109.

Any chance of a TL:DL? Rogan does my head in

jive wrote: »
    Any chance of a TL:DL? Rogan does my head in

It's 2 hours long. Lots of interesting bits so Not really Cliifsable. Not his biggest fan either

Edit: one bit at the start was how sleeping in a strange bed affects sleep...studies showing how the left brain much more alert than it should be. Which ties in with a bit later on the reduction in athletic performance with poorer sleep ahead of competition.

Kinda resonates with my own, small-time experience of comps...I've felt my best performances (separate to best numbers but where I got closest to where I was at) when competing in Dublin where I slept in my own bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

The most important thing I took away was that basically no one can survive on 6 hours of sleep. To quote the doctor himself, "The amount of people who can function normally on 6 hours a night, expressed as a percentage, is zero"

An Evening with Eddie Hall at the Sugar Club. July 28th.

Complementary 16oz steak on arrival*

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-evening-with-eddie-hall-dublin-tickets-44750869054

* may not be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I know!!!!eleven!!1!!

Poor dtp
    Lol

bluewolf wrote: »
    Poor dtp
    Lol

Dot dot dot

Anyone else sit outside the gym for like 10 mins psyching themselves up to go in 🙈🙈🙈

Anyone else sit outside the gym for like 10 mins psyching themselves up to go in 🙈🙈🙈

No because if I flute about outside, someone would walk into the rack I would have had if I'd just walked in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote:

Sounds like me before a heavy Deadlift set.

That's fair enough, i don't think I've ever waited for a rack more than a min or two!

Those ipf Masters Worlds results are amazing fair play to our team 😍

That's fair enough, i don't think I've ever waited for a rack more than a min or two!

I've gone in on days off thinking it would be pretty empty...and it was - only 4 other people.

All 4 racks in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Those ipf Masters Worlds results are amazing fair play to our team ðŸ˜

It is great to bring home some medals !! Looking at my masters class .. I’d have taken 4th but would have been about 50kg away from bronze !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

So, some junior lad deadlifted 5x bodyweight...

He had a spinal deformity which resulted in him having a tiny torso and relativey massive limbs making him the ultimate sumo deadlifter.

What is it with the best deadlifters having spinal issues?

Lamar Gant pulled 300kg at 60kg and he had scoliosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

That dude was built for Deadlifting in a weird way... Long arms, shorter ROM, but wow... What a lift, fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

He's also pretty damn decent at squat and bench, even with the disadvantages of his limb length. Squat over triple bodyweight (170kg) and benched over double (117.5, missed 122.5kg). He won his class by over 100kg.

All the highlights so far have nearly been the deadlifts for me: the above, the dancing guy, the mental getting sick and passing out mid lift guy.

The exception to the above was Jaisyn Mike's benching. A 281kg open world record that definitely looked like there was more in the tank. The 260kg second attempt was just crazy.

Oh, and obviously the Irish giving a really good account of themselves so far and setting PBs galore and/or bringing home some medals

Have been watching over the last few days and it has given me a bit of an urge to lift with the IPF next year and get the head down and see if I could get to an international comp in 2020

whippet wrote: »
    Have been watching over the last few days and it has given me a bit of an urge to lift with the IPF next year and get the head down and see if I could get to an international comp in 2020

You mainly squat in wraps, right? How is your unwrapped squat in comparison?

You mainly squat in wraps, right? How is your unwrapped squat in comparison?

It’s getting there .. 270 in wraps .. but I’d hope by the end of the summer to take 250 or so in sleeves .. I haven’t tested my max in sleeves but last week worked up to a triple at 210 and would hope to do that for five in the next 4 - 5 weeks.

To add to that post about sleeves and wraps .. while both are squats and wraps give a bit of a kick out of the hole the challenge in wraps is actually getting depth and doing so in control. While it’s not equipped lifting you will hear a lot of wrapped lifters talk about not being able to get deep enough. - which shouldn’t be an excuse

Personally i prefer sleeves as there is less hassle at squat time .. the warm up room and holding area is chaotic when people are being wrapped .. the stress of getting them rolled again before the next lift and all this takes out of you.

I have squatted over 200 bare knee before but at my age I like the warmth and comfort sleeves give !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Has anyone any experience of Fit4Less gyms, or more specifically, the new one in Finglas?

They provide a free one day pass to use for a trial just wondering what kind of set up they have down there before i check it out.

Advertisement