Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

whippet wrote: »
    To add to that post about sleeves and wraps .. while both are squats and wraps give a bit of a kick out of the hole the challenge in wraps is actually getting depth and doing so in control. While it’s not equipped lifting you will hear a lot of wrapped lifters talk about not being able to get deep enough. - which shouldn’t be an excuse

Personally i prefer sleeves as there is less hassle at squat time .. the warm up room and holding area is chaotic when people are being wrapped .. the stress of getting them rolled again before the next lift and all this takes out of you.

I have squatted over 200 bare knee before but at my age I like the warmth and comfort sleeves give !!

Squatted with wraps for the first time today. Felt very uncomfortable putting on and moving in them but squatted 10kg more than my PB. Not sure how the depth was but it felt like my usual depth.

Can't imagine ATG in the wraps but maybe when I wear em in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

brianblaze wrote: »
    Squatted with wraps for the first time today. Felt very uncomfortable putting on and moving in them but squatted 10kg more than my PB. Not sure how the depth was but it felt like my usual depth.

Did you wrap yourself or did someone do it for you? Unless your experienced it’s very hard to wrap yourself tight and the benefits will be minimal. Mind you the tighter the wrap the harder it is to get down. When wrapped properly it will more than uncomfortable... it can be agony and as soon as the squat is done you are ripping them off like a burning rag !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some battle between Brett Gibbs and Russel Orhii in the 83s at IPF worlds.

Both set world records in squat and bench and then the other beat it after.

But then Gibbs won by about 22.5kg on deadlift

whippet wrote: »
    brianblaze wrote: »

Did you wrap yourself or did someone do it for you? Unless your experienced it’s very hard to wrap yourself tight and the benefits will be minimal. Mind you the tighter the wrap the harder it is to get down. When wrapped properly it will more than uncomfortable... it can be agony and as soon as the squat is done you are ripping them off like a burning rag !!!

Wrapped myself after a few tutorial videos but yeah the second I reracked I pulled them off. Circulation was fairly impeded it felt like but felt good when actually squatting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Some battle between Brett Gibbs and Russel Orhii in the 83s at IPF worlds.

Both set world records in squat and bench and then the other beat it after.

But then Gibbs won by about 22.5kg on deadlift

It was actually Gibbs and Hubbard in the bench with Hubbard winning by 0.5kg. They each broke the record twice.

Gibbs won surprisingly easily overall.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It was actually Gibbs and Hubbard in the bench with Hubbard winning by 0.5kg. They each broke the record twice.

Gibbs won surprisingly easily overall.

You're correct. Why can't they freeze the names column like Excel? Protect people like me from my own stupidity.

Owen Hubbard likes to get his face right into the bench for the bench

What a job title!

1zlu74o.jpg

What a mental end to the 93s!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Poor Arthur :( It's a bad day when he can't grind close to a 300

Well, this was class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well, this was class.

Looked like there was more there too

The big lads don’t get any allowance for dodgy depth ... as for the lad getting the 4th attempt after the spotter did his job !!

Ray Williams has been squatting high for months and having smoke blown up his ass about 500kg this week ... knocked back to reality fairly quickly tonight

Where do I watch this and what times is it on?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Where do I watch this and what times is it on?

Tis the end of the comp tonight. Benching now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I know there are some face pulls fans here, so here's a good piece on them that was in Tony Gentilcore's newsletter today

http://tonygentilcore.com/2018/06/face-pulls-right-often/

I know there are some face pulls fans here, so here's a good piece on them that was in Tony Gentilcore's newsletter today

http://tonygentilcore.com/2018/06/face-pulls-right-often/

Too much low bavk movement also comes to pass when people set the weight too high and make it a face pull/hump combo and the muscles you want to work end up working less.

Dot

Dot

Speaking in code again, Inspector Morse?

After listening to Eric Helms speak on Omar isufs youtube, it’s seems my double strength pre workout coffee isn’t NEARLY enough caffeine to be taking

• Registered Users Posts: 39,387 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

After listening to Eric Helms speak on Omar isufs youtube, it’s seems my double strength pre workout coffee isn’t NEARLY enough caffeine to be taking

Give me numbers? How many caffeines do I need?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Give me numbers? How many caffeines do I need?

He was taking about getting in 4-6mg per kg body weight. Obviously people have different tolerances to caffeine n all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

How much in a regular cup of coffee? Drop about 6 on a normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,387 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was taking about getting in 4-6mg per kg body weight. Obviously people have different tolerances to caffeine n all that.
    4-6 is a pretty big range, should allow for various tolerances.

300-450mg for me. Hitting at from acafe will get expensive.
    bladespin wrote: »
    How much in a regular cup of coffee? Drop about 6 on a normal day.

A espresso and espresso based coffees (americano, latte etc) have about 75mg.
    Instant coffee is about the same depending on how much you use (numbers re prob on label).
    Brewed coffee is usually stronger per cup (higher coffee to milk ratio). Maybe 100-200mg depending on roast, mug size etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Heard a trainer ask a client today if she 'ground her teeth' :confused: He was attempting to do a Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock impression by stating all these things about her gait and demeanour.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Heard a trainer ask a client today if she 'ground her teeth' :confused: He was attempting to do a Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock impression by stating all these things about her gait and demeanour.

i'm not sure what you are referring to but on a similar note .. i've cracked a tooth while lifting heavy before and I got one of those NewAge gum shields that only sit on the back teeth and I don't know if it is the placebo effect but I do find that my balance is better when using it that when not using it

Was hyped up for a PB squat attempt today, put on the wraps, approached the bar, went down, on the way up realised I'd forgot to put on the belt as I braced against nothing! Managed to get it up but not before a serious wobble and some probable lower back strain! Whoops

The 72f and 84f top 7 totals are basically around 400kg now. That's some standards

The 7th place 93kg is currently 617.5kg, 12.5kg above my May Total. Expect it to change massively over the next few comps but will be interested to see where it stands come October. If it's in reach, might be worth having a crack with my last deadlift :D.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    The 7th place 93kg is currently 617.5kg, 12.5kg above my May Total. Expect it to change massively over the next few comps but will be interested to see where it stands come October. If it's in reach, might be worth having a crack with my last deadlift :D.

Wow!! Now that's exciting
    How long have u been lifting for

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Wow!! Now that's exciting
    How long have u been lifting for

Specifically powerlifting? Roughly end of October :pac:

I had been training for other sports and then just tipping away myself up to that so wasn't weak and had decent lifts, but since October my lifts have gone:
    • Squat - 180 - 230
    • Bench - 100 - 115
    • Deadlift - 210 - 260

Did an in house comp in December and hit 190 - 105 - 227.5 and then hit the latest numbers in May.

Coached myself for the December comp but then started getting coaching from beginning of January and progress has been unreal.

Bench has always been a weak point, but received massive help from a couple of guys here after May and it's dramatically improved, benched 100 for 5x5 the other night with a bit to a spare and technique is way better so hope to keep the progress going. Squat and deadlift also have started to go really well again now so who knows, if there's a chance on the day I'll at least go for it, nothing to lose.

Advertisement