Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

That's so crazy 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Its all well and good being strong beforehand or having done a bit of training, but serious kudos on those improvements, obviously a lot of time and effort being put in to see those jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

VW 1 wrote: »
    Its all well and good being strong beforehand or having done a bit of training, but serious kudos on those improvements, obviously a lot of time and effort being put in to see those jumps.

Thanks :). Yeah, there's a lot of hard work involved, but on top of that the coaching I'm getting is really good and also the environment helps massively. It's possibly a factor that's underrated, but in my old gym everyone would keep to themselves pretty much and I would have been one of the stronger lifters there (outside of bench) whereas now there's a good few of us around the same level pushing each other on to get the level of the next guys up, everyone is very encouraging and helpful. It really does make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

End of season sale on adidas.ie so some.good deals on Leistung 2, Power Perfect 3 and Powerlift 3. Not sure what the sizes left are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How much fat per kg should you be eating for fat loss.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    How much fat per kg should you be eating for fat loss.

It depends. Protein should be fixed, more or less, then get the balance of your calories in a way that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just saw Cadbury are launching a new Boost (Moro) Protein bar. Why mess with perfection!

http://kevssnackreviews.blogspot.com/2018/07/cadbury-dairy-milk-30-percent-less-sugar-boost-plus-protein.html

Protein starbar would be even better mind

Adding the word 'protein' to anything allows you to add a díckhead tax/premium to the price

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Watch "The Redeemed and the Dominant" over the weekend (Crossfit Documentary).
    If produced by Crossfit, massive amounts of kool-aid involved, and they are clearly trying to push a particular agenda (no prizes for guessing). But I found it really interesting viewing as an objective outsider.

I don't know if some of the HW types believe the BS they come out with. But I honestly think that some of the yes men types genuinely do. Castro appears to be at least aware it's a cakewalk to beat the system, but sticking to plausible deniability for obvious reasons.

The angle the athletes take are lol-bad. Just pretending to be ignorant of how steroids could possibly help.

Mellor wrote: »
    Watch "The Redeemed and the Dominant" over the weekend (Crossfit Documentary).
    If produced by Crossfit, massive amounts of kool-aid involved, and they are clearly trying to push a particular agenda (no prizes for guessing). But I found it really interesting viewing as an objective outsider.

I don't know if some of the HW types believe the BS they come out with. But I honestly think that some of the yes men types genuinely do. Castro appears to be at least aware it's a cakewalk to beat the system, but sticking to plausible deniability for obvious reasons.

The angle the athletes take are lol-bad. Just pretending to be ignorant of how steroids could possibly help.

The HQ guys tried so hard to sound convincing but it was cringe.

Trying to appear up front about it was so clunky it made it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The HQ guys tried so hard to sound convincing but it was cringe.

Trying to appear up front about it was so clunky it made it worse.[/QUOTE]

(yeah I meant HQ not HW)

Castro at least acknowledged that cycling off steroids for competition was possible. The rest pretended that option didn't make any sense. :pac::pac:

The athletes were lol bad.
    Fraser wrote:
    "If you want to take PEDs instead of putting in the hard work. Screw you buddy"
    Eh, no buddy. You take PEDs AND put in the hard work, harder work in fact.
    Vellner wrote:
    "Me? I've the least impressive body here. LOL. Do you think that look like somebody on steroids*."

Do you think you look like somebody who is not on steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anybody see that female lifter jen Thomson on the latest Omar isuf YouTube. I didn’t look her up but she looks around 60-65kg and blasted out over 105kg x 5 Bench Press like it was a warm up. Very humbling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Anybody see that female lifter jen Thomson on the latest Omar isuf YouTube. I didn’t look her up but she looks around 60-65kg and blasted out over 105kg x 5 Bench Press like it was a warm up. Very humbling

You mean IPF u63 world champion Jen Thompson?:) She's insane, benched a World Record 142.5kg at Worlds last month (also squat 147.5 and deadlift 202.5kg). 2nd place in bench finished 35kg behind her

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Deano7788 wrote: »
    You mean IPF u63 world champion Jen Thompson?:) She's insane, benched a World Record 142.5kg at Worlds last month (also squat 147.5 and deadlift 202.5kg). 2nd place in bench finished 35kg behind her

She is something else ... I listened to her interview with Arthur Lynch a while back and she was asked what the secret to her big bench was .... simply 20 years of training !!

I watch that Cross Fit show last night and it was a hard watch ... serious athletes and some impressive performances. But once the topic of PEDs came up the show became unbearable to watch. It is clear as an organisation they don't want any association between PEDs and their sport as the money that Rogue and Reebok pump in to it would disappear overnight. But to try and claim that it isn't a problem is insane.

If you listen to the last podcast by the lads on No Lift Powerlifting which is about drug testing and the science behind it .. you will understand how all strength & endurance based sports have a huge problem with PEDs. There is no way crosscut is immune.

I have seen first hand the availability and ease at which top level and mediocre athletes are doping - the notion that peer pressure in crossfire wouldn't allow it to happen is just burying your head in the sand.

Deano7788 wrote: »

That’s good to know. So if I really buckle down and concentrate on my bench, then adding in my other lifts I think I might do quite well in the women’s under 63kg category

whippet wrote: »
    If you listen to the last podcast by the lads on No Lift Powerlifting which is about drug testing and the science behind it .. you will understand how all strength & endurance based sports have a huge problem with PEDs. There is no way crosscut is immune.

Game of Shadows was an eye opener. Victor Conte was having PEDs that had the same physiological impact as banned substances but when don't raise a flag in the ranges for the banned substances in the mass spectrometer.

The testing regime will always be playing catch-up.

I started to listen to that podcast and fell asleep so I have to go back and listen because what I heard was interesting.

That’s good to know. So if I really buckle down and concentrate on my bench, then adding in my other lifts I think I might do quite well in the women’s under 63kg category

...in 19 years.

It's good to get a feel for how many years of training people have behind them when they are lifting all these mad numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Her bench and squat are almost the same...the way it should be.

Real life quarter squats
    Maybe he is doing some kind of rehab
    Or maybe not

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Real life quarter squats
    Maybe he is doing some kind of rehab
    Or maybe not

What?

Liquid lunch?

There was a guy in another rack doing actual quarter squats and piling more weight on the bar

bluewolf wrote: »
    There was a guy in another rack doing actual quarter squats and piling more weight on the bar

Oh. That guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lots of sprinters do quarter squats

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Lots of sprinters do quarter squats

There's probably a lot more quarter squatters that aren't sprinters than are.

None of the ones I've seen will be running 100m in under 15s any time soon.

He can do what he likes sure I've just never seen it irl

There’s a guy in my gym. I don’t know his name but In my head he’s called half squat

There’s a guy in my gym. I don’t know his name but In my head he’s called half squat

hAlf squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Thre was a fella from a gym I used to go, and in my head he's called Grunto. He used to vocalise every. single. rep. Calling it grunting is too kind, it was more like the sound some tennis players make very time they hit the ball. Guy ruined many a quiet morning in the weight room.

Dumbell curls: Uhnnn! ...Uhnnn! ...Uhnnn! ...Uhnnn! ...Uhnnn! ...Uhnnn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Hey guys - didn't want to start a new thread but have a question re: dry needling.

I've been seeing a PT for 6 weeks now, and I'm doing weights pretty much for the first time in my life so I'm very much a beginner. A problem I've always known I've had, and that he picked up on pretty much straight away, is that my left (weaker) shoulder is very tight and doesn't have as much mobility as my right (stronger) shoulder. It's hard to describe. I never really took care of my posture for years - slouching while walking/relaxing, and not sitting correctly in a deskjob. So it's like my shoulders natural position is hunched forward, moreso my left shoulder (though this may be because my right shoulder is stronger and I'm able to overcome the problem easier when exercising). I probably haven't done a great job of describing it.

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of stretches and rotation exercises, but my left shoulder still impacts my workouts and I find it very hard to maintain form on some exercises, even on light weights when I'm trying to solely focus on form to begin with.

I'm obviously going to keep at the stretches and exercises, but would it be worth looking into dry needling? Anyone have any experience of it, and would it be recommended for what I've described above?

Advertisement