Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

What has been announced in relation to the troll , the fed and the coach tonight is disturbing.

How can any volunteer organisation fine a volunteer for something they have done in their private capacity is beyond belief.

This is the start of the end of this fed as far as I’m concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

whippet wrote: »
    What has been announced in relation to the troll , the fed and the coach tonight is disturbing.

How can any volunteer organisation fine a volunteer for something they have done in their private capacity is beyond belief.

Just saw that. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I suspect they basically fined themselves...that they felt a gesture was needed to draw a line under it all because there were some people in the group on FB who felt that action needed to be taken.

I would be surprised if it was anything other than self-imposed fines and frankly that's nonsense...but I get why they might have felt why they had to do it. Or at least the person at the centre of it.

It could go one of two ways: people rally together to prove there wasn't actually anything to see here or it gets overrun by the perpetually offended who don't contribute outside of membership and comp fees but make lots of noise.

Hopefully the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes, but that's not a nazi symbol; it's a german military symbol. He also wore a german military hat from time to time.

I'm aware. But by the same logic the swastika isn't a nazi symbol either. It has a much older and broader history than the Iron Cross. I was in Bali earlier this year, swastikas were everywhere, unsurprisingly few nazi around.
    But it's real meaning is irrelevant at this stage.

275px-A_Hindu_Swastika_at_Goa_Lawah_Temple_Bali_Indonesia.jpg

The Iron Cross a being a german military symbol doesn't exclude it's from being as a nazi symbol. Is this a 1939 cross symbolise the nazis or the german military? Or both?
    ww2-german-iron-cross-2nd-class-600x600.JPG
    Anyway, rambling a bit. My point is that the true meaning of a symbol is irrelevant is people are going to interpret it a different way.

Also, Lemmy is a strong cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

On a recommendation, I listened to a recent Joe Rogan podcast with a professor of neuroscience from Berkeley, Matthew Walker, on sleep and it's importance with regards to performance etc.

Found it really good so giving it an official Alf recommendation.

I listened to this yesterday.
    Found it very interesting.
    Really worth a listen.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Also, Lemmy is a strong cat.

Would he beat Khabib?

Would he beat Khabib?

Khabib out grew cats a long time ago. Moved on to bears after that and is now going after the Lion - which ironically is a cat. It's the Circle of Life

I thought he was going after the gorilla? Unless he's fighting Zlatan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought he was going after the gorilla? Unless he's fighting Zlatan?

No he’s fighting some eejit from Dublin next. Don’t know what breed of animal he is though

Khabib out grew cats a long time ago. Moved on to bears after that and is now going after the Lion - which ironically is a cat. It's the Circle of Life

I don't think this is any cat, though...

Made Dole Scrounging Vegan Crossfitter tap out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What is the story with almost every exercise now "requiring" a mini band to make it better? Totally get people using them for squats, glute bridges, hip thrusts or whatever but in the last 3 weeks I have seen various girls doing bent over rows, lateral raises and standing overhead pressing with them on just above the knees... is it like a thing now to just wear them constantly for extra gains?

What is the story with almost every exercise now "requiring" a mini band to make it better? Totally get people using them for squats, glute bridges, hip thrusts or whatever but in the last 3 weeks I have seen various girls doing bent over rows, lateral raises and standing overhead pressing with them on just above the knees... is it like a thing now to just wear them constantly for extra gains?

Are they Gymshark bands?

I'd imagine they are there to cue correct leg drive.
    A few years ago it would have been saying "screw your feet into the ground" a la Kelly Staret

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What's a mini band :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Blacktie. wrote: »

mostly a singer and one guy on guitar

no drummer or base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

dashoonage wrote: »
    mostly a singer and one guy on guitar

no drummer or base.

So Ed Sheeran?

Makes sense why all the women are going around with him round there legs so.

Have seen lots of those. Didn't know it was a recent thing.

The biggest thing I've seen recently is banded deficit deadlifts with a single thick band under a plate. Cailer Woolam is responsible for the sudden popularity. I'm curious about them myself.

Have seen lots of those. Didn't know it was a recent thing.

The biggest thing I've seen recently is banded deficit deadlifts with a single thick band under a plate. Cailer Woolam is responsible for the sudden popularity. I'm curious about them myself.

That kinda makes sense for driving off the floor. If you don't, then when the resistance ramps up, you'll struggle to lock out. Haven't done them with a deficit but have done banded pulls for that reason.

That kinda makes sense for driving off the floor. If you don't, then when the resistance ramps up, you'll struggle to lock out. Haven't done them with a deficit but have done banded pulls for that reason.

I have no doubt that it's a useful accessory. My gym doesn't have a setup that would allow the bands in that way if doing sumo and, well, my conventional form is too crap to try anything like this without breaking myself.

I have no doubt that it's a useful accessory. My gym doesn't have a setup that would allow the bands in that way if doing sumo and, well, my conventional form is too crap to try anything like this without breaking myself.

It's punishment for pulling sumo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A few years ago it would have been saying "screw your feet into the ground" a la Kelly Staret

That totally makes sense though I am not sure all of the girls I have seen would be paying such close attention to form in that way - definitely could be the case for some. Might actually try it myself though would be afraid I might forget to take them off and trip on the stairs or something :o

Lateral raises though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blacktie. wrote: »

It's a small band.....

I am hilarious

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Lateral raises though?

Never seen it done with lateral raises. I'd guess they just wanted the feeling of doing star jumps in custard

Anyone here competing at either the ABS pro or SBD cup in a couple of weeks?

The line up for the Pro comp looks unreal ... I haven’t seen a line up for the SBD cup yet

Anyone here competing at either the ABS pro or SBD cup in a couple of weeks?

The line up for the Pro comp looks unreal ... I haven’t seen a line up for the SBD cup yet

Did it last year (obviously i was in the section before the guys and gals with the big numbers) and the atmosphere was class. Fire breather almost timed a big blow of fire with a deadlift fart of mine...could have been catastrophic :D

Will be along to watch though...looks to be even better than last year

I’ll be lifting with the numptys on the Sunday (no disrespect to the rest of the Sunday lifters!!!) ... on the Saturday there should be a heap of squats and pulls over 340kg and plenty of 200+ benches.

I reckon a 500+ wilks will be needed to win it

Nero pretty much stole the show last year but I think there's an even deeper field this year.

Nero pretty much stole the show last year but I think there's an even deeper field this year.

Nero is a class act .. still has the record for the all time best Irish total ... and number two on that list Eamonn Harford will be lifting along with Barry Piggot, Clarance Kennedy and Jake Brennan with the biggest squat in Ireland. Outrageous line up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Any idea if Raw still offer one day passes? If so, how much? Can’t see it on their mobile site but Portobello used to be a tenner I think.

Advertisement