Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I have to say i love 20 rep squats. Whether its picking a manageable weight and weight and doing 3 x 20 or doing what you would usually do a set of 12 with but for 1 set of 20 reps i think its amazing. Absolutely spent after them but nice to mix it up and include them every so often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

You guys might be interested in this:

https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-logs/strongman-stuff-121520-squat-program/

Bit cringy on the Murphy heritage stuff but the program looks disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I have to say i love 20 rep squats. Whether its picking a manageable weight and weight and doing 3 x 20 or doing what you would usually do a set of 12 with but for 1 set of 20 reps i think its amazing. Absolutely spent after them but nice to mix it up and include them every so often

Ah ye but you’re different cause you’d do reps for Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Roughly what percentage of one rep max are you looking at for a set of 20? 50-60%?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Roughly what percentage of one rep max are you looking at for a set of 20? 50-60%?

Old school recommendation was a hard set of 10 then go for 20.

The guy in my above link recommend 65%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

BadBannana wrote: »
    Old school recommendation was a hard set of 10 then go for 20.

The guy in my above link recommend 65%

I always thought it was done with your 10 rep max. Take breaks under the bar until you can’t hit 20.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Brian? wrote: »
    I always thought it was done with your 10 rep max. Take breaks under the bar until you can’t hit 20.

:eek:

Don't think so. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    :eek:

Don't think so. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

That’s exactly what it is.

I may be wrong about the 10 rep max part. But it’s not a weight you should be able to do 20 straight reps with.

they/them/theirs

Yep. It’s with a weight you’d struggle to complete 12 reps with. Then you squeeze out 8 more.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-20-rep-squat-routine-old-school-strength-training

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Yep. It’s with a weight you’d struggle to complete 12 reps with. Then you squeeze out 8 more.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-20-rep-squat-routine-old-school-strength-training

Yeah...there's training hard and training stupid.

A set of 20 with a weight you genuinely find tough for a set of 12 is just a ticket on a mystery tour that may end up in Snap City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

I squatted 180kg x20 once. Was unpleasant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

COH wrote: »
    I squatted 180kg x20 once. Was unpleasant

I’m looking forward to the day I can squat 180kg....once

Just based on a t-nation forum post i put body weight on the bar last night and squatted as many reps as i could in 5 mins without setting the bar down. Did 96 kg's (SSB squat) 36 times in 5 mins then sat on the floor for about 15 minutes trying not to get sick. I would not recommend this

Just based on a t-nation forum post i put body weight on the bar last night and squatted as many reps as i could in 5 mins without setting the bar down. Did 96 kg's (SSB squat) 36 times in 5 mins then sat on the floor for about 15 minutes trying not to get sick. I would not recommend this

That was a thing a few years ago. I think I gave it a try though not with SSB.

That was a thing a few years ago. I think I gave it a try though not with SSB.

I thought SSB would make it a bit more comfortable. Have crap shoulder mobility so thought having the bar on my back for 5 minutes would get pretty uncomfortable with standard squats

I thought SSB would make it a bit more comfortable. Have crap shoulder mobility so thought having the bar on my back for 5 minutes would get pretty uncomfortable with standard squats

You thought right...even with alright shoulder mobility it feels pretty crap with the bar on your back for 5 minutes

O yeah I did this years ago! Think I got 60. Pretty sure Iposted it here somewhere. Now I'm heavier and stronger wonder how it would go. Maybe this can be a new way I can throw my back out again :pac:

I suppose i should stop mentally whingeing I've to do sets of 6 on bw tonight so...

Blacktie. wrote: »
    O yeah I did this years ago! Think I got 60. Pretty sure Iposted it here somewhere. Now I'm heavier and stronger wonder how it would go. Maybe this can be a new way I can throw my back out again :pac:

60 is very impressive. I was completely gassed in the last minute or so, think i managed 4 reps in the last 60 seconds.

60 is very impressive. I was completely gassed in the last minute or so, think i managed 4 reps in the last 60 seconds.

Yeah was pretty happy with that. I think I got the first 30 in 90 seconds and then the last few where pretty spaced out!

• Advertisement

Dan John's "Mass Made Simple" is all about getting to a 50 rep set at a weight landmark near your bodyweight. So if you're 63kg 60kg, 87kg, 80kg etc etc etc

Dan John's "Mass Made Simple" is all about getting to a 50 rep set at a weight landmark near your bodyweight. So if you're 63kg 60kg, 87kg, 80kg etc etc etc

I mean when I got my 60 I def. wouldn't have been considered a big guy... I wasn't scrawny but you prob wouldn't even be able to tell I lifted unless you specifically looked.

hmmm, gonna try this again in a couple of weeks with a different strategy, even with better pacing i think 50 reps will be beyond me but gonna set this as a stupid unnecessary goal for the near future

hmmm, gonna try this again in a couple of weeks with a different strategy, even with better pacing i think 50 reps will be beyond me but gonna set this as a stupid unnecessary goal for the near future

The best goals!

Where do you guys get food if you're out in town for lunch? It's quite hard to find anything below 8 euro that's not going to result in a triple bypass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Subway, chopped, any deli, maccas

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Where do you guys get food if you're out in town for lunch? It's quite hard to find anything below 8 euro that's not going to result in a triple bypass

Burrito bowl! calories can be relatively high if adding cheese or guac but pretty much has everything you need in it and good and filling

I'm thinking about setting up a rack and possibly a platform in the back garden, sick of the drive to the gym and with a kid at home and a partner that does shift work, 3 or 4 nights of the week are ruled out for me as far as the gym is concerned (it closes at 10) and I am sick of having no consistency to my training.

As far as I can see, I really have two options - I have a lit area of concrete in the garden where I could dig out some existing concrete and put in two metal/steel bars set into concrete and connected at the top by a metal pull up bar.

Second option is to use part of a grass area which isn't lit and can't be lit via electricity (would be some type of mounted battery operated light). But it would allow for a set up in the below link with using wooden uprights and putting in a better and proper platform. Would obviously need to be treated and maintained more often.

http://www.garagegymreviews.com/diy-outdoor-weightlifting-platform-rack/

Has anyone got any experience on these type of set ups, or has anyone got any opinions on one over the other?

Cheers..

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about setting up a rack and possibly a platform in the back garden, sick of the drive to the gym and with a kid at home and a partner that does shift work, 3 or 4 nights of the week are ruled out for me as far as the gym is concerned (it closes at 10) and I am sick of having no consistency to my training.

As far as I can see, I really have two options - I have a lit area of concrete in the garden where I could dig out some existing concrete and put in two metal/steel bars set into concrete and connected at the top by a metal pull up bar.

Second option is to use part of a grass area which isn't lit and can't be lit via electricity (would be some type of mounted battery operated light). But it would allow for a set up in the below link with using wooden uprights and putting in a better and proper platform. Would obviously need to be treated and maintained more often.

http://www.garagegymreviews.com/diy-outdoor-weightlifting-platform-rack/

Has anyone got any experience on these type of set ups, or has anyone got any opinions on one over the other?

Cheers..

Half racks are free standing and I've personally seen 250kg get racked on cheapo Amazon ones with no issue. Why do digging?

• Advertisement

Mostly due to the fact that it would be a permanent structure and not something potentially at risk of being stolen.

Looking at the cost to effort ratio of one vs the other, amazon free standing racks could work just as well, and are cheap enough that they could be easily replaced.. Just a matter of weather proofing as I dont really have a garage/shed big enough to store.

Food for thought!

Advertisement