Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you go with the permanent squat stand, how much do you use it and how do you get anything else done? If you end up just relying on the rack-out-the-back and not getting a whole lot else done and ultimately lose motivation to use the rack.

And if storage is an issue, do you have somewhere handy for a bar and plates that won't make it a massive chore to use the rack.

Is there lighting to train there for training in the winter? Any plans for cover if it's raining for a few days?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah appreciate it Alf.

No huge difference over motivation for permanent v walk out rack - my training all focusses around barbell compounds and could adjust accessory work to the same.

There is lighting for winter/dark.

I can store a bar and weights no problem, the two sheds i have are about 6 foot tall, so not conducive to squatting in, but good for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

VW 1 wrote: »
    the two sheds i have are about 6 foot tall

If you're thinking of storing a bar in the shed, just be wary that standard power bars are 7ft

If you're thinking of storing a bar in the shed, just be wary that standard power bars are 7ft

Yup, plenty of ground storage, over 20ft long, just not tall enough to stand a rack in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

FWIW- I bought a rack and bench about 2 years ago and do all my workouts at home. Similar to yourself I have a shed to store them in however not big enough to squat, bench or deadlift in. I got a rack which I can squat and bench on and also do dips. I put the bar on corner of shed and wall for chin/pull ups.

Gives me the flexibility to work out when suits which is a massive plus with two young kids. Can pop out the back, be set up in a couple of minutes and bang out 20 mins of squats in the same time it would take me to get to the gym, let alone do a workout. The major cons (for me) are lack of variety of equipment and not having a covered area so I get wet if its raining!

• Advertisement

Sounds like an identical situation to mine TRS. I'm not looking to do anything more complex than bang out my compounds 3-4 times a week, I have a work gym with a range of dumbells and kettlebells if I feel I can't get enough range with a bar for accessories. The 20 min drive each way to the gym and the 10pm closing time is pretty prohibitive and there are no viable flyefit options that suit me.

Going to pull the trigger on the rack via amazon and get a bench/bar/weights probably through donedeal or adverts.

Thanks for the input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I got my rack and bench through adverts off a place in Finglas (opposite Joe Duffys). Very happy with them so far. I also went with non-Olympic weights, are cheaper and 6ft bar is more than enough for me.
    Best of luck.

Brown rice protein update: put some in porridge. it's still disgusting. spat it out.

i think the whole thing can go in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Brown rice protein update: put some in porridge. it's still disgusting. spat it out.

Reminds me of the time I bought pineapple flavoured protein. It was on offer for a reason.

Just had a flashback to mint choc protein that i ended up binning. It was awful.

1st mouthful: "This is ok. I don't see the problem here"
    2nd mouthful: "Hmm, that wasn't as nice. Probably just an anomaly"
    3rd mouthful: "Nope. This is actually awful"
    4th...for confirmation: "I think the sick in my mouth right now tastes better"

Bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Sexy flavoured proteins are the worst. You enjoy the first 2 and then have to endure another 4.9kg of banana toffee bull****

jive wrote: »
    Sexy flavoured proteins are the worst. You enjoy the first 2 and then have to endure another 4.9kg of banana toffee bull****

:D:D

In my defence, it was a mate who asked me of i wanted the mint choc since he would rather burn off his taste buds than try more. I was pretty sure I'd be ok since I survived some of the shyte i cooked for myself in college.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time I bought pineapple flavoured protein. It was on offer for a reason.

Ah the Lilt of the protein world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Add it to brown rice....

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about setting up a rack and possibly a platform in the back garden, sick of the drive to the gym and with a kid at home and a partner that does shift work, 3 or 4 nights of the week are ruled out for me as far as the gym is concerned (it closes at 10) and I am sick of having no consistency to my training.

As far as I can see, I really have two options - I have a lit area of concrete in the garden where I could dig out some existing concrete and put in two metal/steel bars set into concrete and connected at the top by a metal pull up bar.

Second option is to use part of a grass area which isn't lit and can't be lit via electricity (would be some type of mounted battery operated light). But it would allow for a set up in the below link with using wooden uprights and putting in a better and proper platform. Would obviously need to be treated and maintained more often.

http://www.garagegymreviews.com/diy-outdoor-weightlifting-platform-rack/

Has anyone got any experience on these type of set ups, or has anyone got any opinions on one over the other?

Cheers..
    I Made this rack
    http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html
    And the bench:
    http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/05/strongest-bench-youll-never-buy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is there any difference between Greek yoghurt and Greek Style yoghurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Rather than being strained 3 times, Greek style usually has other ingredients added to give it thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Greek yoghurt is thicker, has a higher protein content and lower sugar as a rule.

Greek yoghurt is a region protected term, but strained yoghurt is the same thing. Glenisk do nice ones.

Greek yoghurt is hairier than Greek style yoghurt

• Advertisement

greek style has less protein and more sugar , is my understanding

greek style has less protein and more sugar , is my understanding

Can be marginal. Fage has 10.3g protein and 3g sugar per 100g.

Glenisk strained Greek styke yoghurt has 10g protein and 4g sugar per 100g.

That said, you'd eat more than 100g at a time

Ah that's cool so

That's all i ever used my protein powder for...vanilla whey stirred through Fage/Liberte/Glenisk Greek Style for a shnack.

Omanomanom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Greek yoghurt is thicker, has a higher protein content and lower sugar as a rule.

Greek yoghurt is a region protected term, but strained yoghurt is the same thing. Glenisk do nice ones

This!

Greek yogurt can only be made in Greece. Like Blaas in Waterford.

Greek style yogurt using the traditional, authentic, strained method can have the same texture/macros/properties, it's sjust not made in Greece (e.g. Glenisk green tub).

A lot of greek style yogurts however just stick the name on the tub to denote "thicker than a normal yogurt, like" at will however.... but not all thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Vanilla skyr for the win

Greek style isn’t strained and has additives to give the texture. So which is better?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Greek style isn’t strained

Except for the strained Greek style ones.

Except for the strained Greek style ones.

Yes but isn’t it all...Greek is strained, Greek style isn’t.
    Glenisk are being awkward fcukers

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes but isn’t it all...Greek is strained, Greek style isn’t.
    Glenisk are being awkward fcukers

AFAIK, Skyr is strained.

Your house of cards is tumbling down now.

Advertisement