Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

AFAIK, Skyr is strained.

Your house of cards is tumbling down now.

Falling down around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All the other ones out there, Liberte, Glenisk, Skyr, are 0% fat...

The full fat Fage version is amazing:
    large_b033a915-d820-4455-8365-6e274ca27bb0.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I ate 400g of liberte salted caramel in one sitting on Wednesday. I don't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

The Tesco 1kg tubs (the square ones) of Greek style yogurt are my favorite. 10% fat and very thicc.

Zero fat yogurt is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

DylanJM wrote: »
    The Tesco 1kg tubs (the square ones) of Greek style yogurt are my favorite. 10% fat and very thicc.

Zero fat yogurt is disgusting.

What's the protein content of the tesco ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Caliden wrote: »
    What's the protein content of the tesco ones?

If it's the one I'm thinking of - darkish blue, 'Greek' in Greek-style lettering - then it's < 5g/100g.

Tesco Finest do one that's about 10g/100g

I'd love to be able to eat them - greek yogurt with strawberry whey powder and some mixed fruit&nuts > *

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes but isn’t it all...Greek is strained, Greek style isn’t.
    Glenisk are being awkward fcukers
    Greek style can be strained or not.

It is not clear to me if greek yogurt and be strained or not, as it seems you could make any sort of yogurt in Greece and then it is greek yogurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strained_yogurt#United_Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    In the United Kingdom strained yogurt can only be marketed as "Greek" if made in Greece. Strained cows'-milk yogurt not made in Greece is typically sold as "Greek Style" or "Greek Recipe" for marketing reasons, typically at lower prices than yogurt made in Greece. Among "Greek Style" yogurts there is no distinction between those thickened by straining and those thickened through additives.[24]

In September 2012 Chobani UK Ltd. began to sell yogurt made in the United States as "Greek Yogurt". FAGE, a company that manufactures yogurt in Greece and sells it in the UK, filed a passing-off claim against Chobani in the UK High Court, claiming that UK consumers understood "Greek" to refer to the country of origin (similar to "Belgian Beer"); Chobani's position was that consumers understood "Greek" to refer to a preparation (similar to "French Toast"). Both companies relied on surveys to prove their point; FAGE also relied on the previous industry practice of UK yogurt makers to not label their yogurt as "Greek Yogurt". Ultimately Mr Justice Briggs found in favor of FAGE and granted an injunction preventing Chobani from using the name "Greek Yogurt".[25] In February 2014 this decision was upheld on appeal.[26][27] Chobani later announced that it was reentering the UK market using a "strained yogurt" label[28] but has not yet done so.[29] Greece may now seek to protect "Greek yogurt" across the entire EU under protected designation of origin rules.[30]

North America
    Strained yogurt (often marketed as "Greek yogurt") has become popular in the United States and Canada,[4] where it is often used as a lower-calorie substitute for sour cream or cr frae.[31] Celebrity chef Graham Kerr became an early adopter of strained yogurt as an ingredient, frequently featuring it (and demonstrating how to strain plain yogurt through a coffee filter) on his eponymous 1990 cooking show, as frequently as he had featured clarified butter on The Galloping Gourmet in the late 1960s. In 2015, food market research firm Packaged Facts reported that Greek yogurt has a 50 percent share of the yogurt market in the United States.[32]

"Greek yogurt" brands in North America include Chobani, Dannon Oikos, FAGE, Olympus, Stonyfield organic Oikos, Yoplait, Cabot Creamery and Voskos. FAGE began importing its Greek products in 1998 and opened a domestic production plant in Johnstown, New York, in 2008.[6] Chobani, based in New Berlin, New York, began marketing its Greek-style yogurt in 2007. The Voskos brand entered the US market in 2009 with imported Greek yogurt products at 10%, 2%, and 0% milkfat.[33] Stonyfield Farms, owned by Groupe Danone, introduced Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt in 2007; Danone began marketing a non-organic Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt in 2011 and also produced a now discontinued blended Greek-style yogurt under the Activia Selects brand;[7] Dannon Light & Fit Greek nonfat yogurt was introduced in 2012 and boasts being the lightest Greek yogurt with fruit,[34] and Activia Greek yogurt was re-introduced in 2013.[35] General Mills introduced a Greek-style yogurt under the Yoplait brand name in early 2010, which was discontinued and replaced by Yoplait Greek 100 in August 2012.[36] Activia Greek yogurt was re-introduced in 2013, and in July 2012 took over US distribution and sales of Canadian Libert Greek brands. In Canada, Yoplait was launched in January 2013, and is packaged with toppings.

If you are using a lot of it you should consider making your own. It's very easy.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to eat them - greek yogurt with strawberry whey powder and some mixed fruit&nuts > *

That's exactly what I'm having right now.

Just because I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Is there much difference between Adidas Powerlift 3.1 & Adipowers? (Apart from €100 or so)

I've never used weightlifting shoes before and was thinking of trying one of these.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    Is there much difference between Adidas Powerlift 3.1 & Adipowers? (Apart from €100 or so)

I've never used weightlifting shoes before and was thinking of trying one of these.

Adipowers are probably a lot more sturdy and the heels are 0.75".

Powerlifts are 0.6" heel height and apparently aren't as sturdy.

I have never used Adipowers but Power Perfects had same heel height and when I switched to lower heel of Powerlifts I found it better for me. No problem with sturdiness either.

If you want to try a pair out, go for Powerlifts and see how it goes. There are sales on Adidas website every few months and you'll get a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dimitri Klokov is doing a seminar in Flyefit drumcondra on 21st October

Dimitri Klokov is doing a seminar in Flyefit drumcondra on 21st October

aw i will be away.
    can someone else get punched in the face for me pls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Random question. Anyone have a good recipe for a peanut curry where 95% of the calories aren't from the tub of peanut butter called up for in the recipe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Random question. Anyone have a good recipe for a peanut curry where 95% of the calories aren't from the tub of peanut butter called up for in the recipe?

I'd ignore any curry recipe that includes peanut butter. A real Satay should have ground fresh peanuts in it. Still going to be calorific though, peanuts are extremely calorie dense.

I did a quick scan of BBC, usually great for recipes, but it's a black hole of peanut butter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Brian? wrote: »

I did a quick scan of BBC

Mandingo curry?

Brian? wrote: »
    I'd ignore any curry recipe that includes peanut butter. A real Satay should have ground fresh peanuts in it. Still going to be calorific though, peanuts are extremely calorie dense.

I did a quick scan of BBC, usually great for recipes, but it's a black hole of peanut butter.

Has anyone ever seen Brian? and Lloyd Grossman in the same room?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,383 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

3 months left in the year. Feel like it's time to change focus. Still sticking with 2-3 strength days in the gym.

Option 1: Deadlift focus. Maybe CoanPhillipi.
    Pro: The assistance is conditioning focus, which should have carry over to other training.
    Con: the program itself might cripple me for other training.

Option 2: Add Oly Lifts. This would be the big 6 plus snatches and cleans over 2 days.
    Pro: Mobility, full rom training, yada yada
    Con: I'm terribad at oly lifts

Option 3: Focus on conditioning
    Pro: it's summer, nice to get outside and train
    Con: Cardio

Thoughts from anyone who does anything similar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've used this recipe in the last while and I don't think the calories are that high.

Keano wrote: »
    I've used this recipe in the last while and I don't think the calories are that high.

I'll give it a shot.

• Advertisement

Actually saw a girl wearing one of those waist trainers today in the gym, had never seen somebody in real life with one, just on insta. She also had a stunning figure and waist already (or maybe it was all from using the waist trainer :rolleyes:). Looked beyond uncomfy tbh, fair play to her on that front!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Running 5/3/1 BBB. It's a really tough program and suffers from being constantly misunderstood by online people. I would definitely recommend though.

Actually saw a girl wearing one of those waist trainers today in the gym, had never seen somebody in real life with one, just on insta. She also had a stunning figure and waist already (or maybe it was all from using the waist trainer :rolleyes:). Looked beyond uncomfy tbh, fair play to her on that front!

Is this not just a corset?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Could it have been a back support? I have a back issue means I have to wear a back support, which oddly enough looks like a waist trainer. I refuse to wear it to the gym tho

Is this not just a corset?

You spelled 'nonsense' incorrectly.

klm1 wrote: »
    Could it have been a back support? I have a back issue means I have to wear a back support, which oddly enough looks like a waist trainer. I refuse to wear it to the gym tho

No was actually this exact one:
    https://www.waisttrain.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrcV-1gmFRJmuD5xsBO2PNu7PGdwp5Ha5Cwvn-bGqOxiRbwQ_tjpfKcaAlcdEALw_wcB

I actually never realised people wore them over their tops either, but it also doubles as a fashion thing I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

https://www.waisttrain.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrcV-1gmFRJmuD5xsBO2PNu7PGdwp5Ha5Cwvn-bGqOxiRbwQ_tjpfKcaAlcdEALw_wcB

I actually never realised people wore them over their tops either, but it also doubles as a fashion thing I think!

So a corset (maybe for people who have never heard the word "corset")?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Wow, that's news to me too! I figured that was something people would be keen to hide rather than openly declaring 'I wear a waist trainer!'

klm1 wrote: »
    Wow, that's news to me too! I figured that was something people would be keen to hide rather than openly declaring 'I wear a waist trainer!'

I actually see they do a "sweat fitness belt" thing as well
    https://www.waisttrain.uk/products/sweat-fitness-belt

Benefits:
    "Encourages perspiration" :eek::eek::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I actually see they do a "sweat fitness belt" thing as well
    https://www.waisttrain.uk/products/sweat-fitness-belt

Benefits:
    "Encourages perspiration" :eek::eek::confused::confused:

Suppressing hunger too !! So starve yourself while dehydrating during cardio ... top notch #fitfam stuff there

Advertisement