Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

#blessed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    #blessed

Hai Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just dropped a 20kg plate on my little toe :(

Steel toecaps from here on!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

bladespin wrote: »
    Just dropped a 20kg plate on my little toe :(

Steel toecaps from here on!

A 35kg dumbbell slipped off the rack and landed about a hair's distance from my big toe. All I could think of was how ****ed I'd be if that had landed properly.

Rack your stuff properly guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

BadBannana wrote: »
    A 35kg dumbbell slipped off the rack and landed about a hair's distance from my big toe. All I could think of was how ****ed I'd be if that had landed properly.

Rack your stuff properly guys

at 360kg squat got dumped when I was spotting recently - scary !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Out of curiosity, why are spotters used in squatting. Realistically, it’d be very hard to catch or control a bar with serious weight on it. Why not use safety bars?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why are spotters used in squatting. Realistically, it’d be very hard to catch or control a bar with serious weight on it. Why not use safety bars?

Spotters are there to help the lifter back up .. the bar should never be dumped .. in reality the should the lifter fail it is a weight he realistically ‘could’ squat .. so the spotter are only helping him back up to the rack.

In my case it was an equipped squat where the suit threw the lifter forward just as they were locking out and the bar flew backwards ... it was a case of the safety straps doing their job and just getting out of the way.

An experienced spotter will know the time to help and the time to get the fcuk out of the way

I have spotted failed squats up to 400kg and with out spotters it would have been really dangerous

Watching the ABS Pro and the spotters catching the missed attempts by Nero and Jake Brennan is a perfect example of how spotting is safer for the lifter than dumping the bar.

Dumping 300+ isn’t easy and if you get pinned without spotters and have to dump you are risking serious injury.

The only time I actually hurt myself spotting was when a 300kg multiply bench went wrong .. just as the bar was about to touch the chest it shot forward towards the belt .. we had two spotters each side but we had to catch it and lift it off the lifter quickly .. almost tore something in my arm .. scary and sore !

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

anyone here who is more into strength than aesthetics spend much time doing direct ab work? I am carrying too much flab for any properly visible abs, but still think i probably should be throwing in a few mins ab work a couple of times a week. any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    anyone here who is more into strength than aesthetics spend much time doing direct ab work? I am carrying too much flab for any properly visible abs, but still think i probably should be throwing in a few mins ab work a couple of times a week. any thoughts?

If your legs can squat 180kg but your core can only hold 140kg guess how much you're going to squat?

Not training a muscle group is my least favourite internet fitness idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I compete but would still do ab work as an accessory. It wouldn't be crunches or sit ups, but I'd do some anti rotational work and stuff like leg raises, ab rollouts or planks. It plays a key part in the lifts so always try to do some direct training for it so it's not the weak link (it is hit by squats and deadlifts, etc. also).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are you referring to specifically the rectus abdominis muscles only, or the transversus abdominis, obliques, erector spinae, quadratus lumborum muscles as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ah abs. I never do them. Starting to work them in now as ordered by my physio.

Do your abs people. Stupid boring muscle.

as soon as I know I have an AB i'll starting working it !! but until then I will subscribe to the theory I don't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Started doing them recently myself but that's because I have a separate injury preventing me from lift heavy at the moment.

After doing ab wheel rolls for the first time in ages, I genuinely thought there was something wrong with my stomach when I woke up the next morning and then remembered.

Every time you brace for a lift you’re working your abs whether you know it or not. But yes I try to get some extra ab work in too. Ab wheel is probably the greatest invention since the actual wheel

I have to do aleknas

Planks, Russian twists, rollouts and ab pulldowns.

Should probably throw in SSB squats after the ab DOMs I got from those before...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ab wheel is probably the greatest worst invention since the actual wheel

FYP :D

I do planks but am not consistent with them tbh :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Didn't want to start a new thread guys, hope ye don't mind. I've been out of the gym and tbh exercise scene for years. Was once a gym fanatic 5/6 days a week. I need to get back into something but I'm so nervous. A good 3.5 stone to loose.

There's really only one gym local. I suppose the first thing would be to go for an induction. I'm very much a loan wolf when it comes to exercise. Classes or personal training don't appeal to me. Worried they'll try push things on me.
    Sorry if I sound pathetic, didn't seem as daunting when I was younger.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread guys, hope ye don't mind. I've been out of the gym and tbh exercise scene for years. Was once a gym fanatic 5/6 days a week. I need to get back into something but I'm so nervous. A good 3.5 stone to loose.

There's really only one gym local. I suppose the first thing would be to go for an induction. I'm very much a loan wolf when it comes to exercise. Classes or personal training don't appeal to me. Worried they'll try push things on me.
    Sorry if I sound pathetic, didn't seem as daunting when I was younger.

What’s the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ordered my stuff today for my home/shed gym.

Olympic bar and 150kg of plates.
    Adjustable bench.
    Squat stand.

Total of 600 euro, very happy with my purchases, and my lack of having to leave the house to do some work.

33g protein and only 247kcal. Dosent taste bad either :)

You're so #fitfam now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

But protein from real food doesn't count.

As an aside I see those protein pots from dublin meat company all over insta at the moment - people raving about them, what a great idea, amazing macros etc. Eh... it's cooked chicken in a pack, like you could get it in any supermarket even with cajun or BBQ flavouring or whatever for years, but I guess that's just cooked chicken in a packet and not a "protein pot" :rolleyes:

But protein from real food doesn't count.

As an aside I see those protein pots from dublin meat company all over insta at the moment - people raving about them, what a great idea, amazing macros etc. Eh... it's cooked chicken in a pack, like you could get it in any supermarket even with cajun or BBQ flavouring or whatever for years, but I guess that's just cooked chicken in a packet and not a "protein pot" :rolleyes:

Yes and it dosent say muscle on your pack therefore no gainz

I go through phases of living off them. they are super handy. and the chili ones.

the pizzas are great too for me, gf and 577 kcals with like 70g protein or something

bluewolf wrote: »
    I go through phases of living off them. they are super handy. and the chili ones.

the pizzas are great too for me, gf and 577 kcals with like 70g protein or something

Muscle food pizzas? Who stocks them?

• Advertisement

Muscle food pizzas? Who stocks them?

supervalu.
    the chicken tikka ones are rubbish but the others are great.
    they fall apart easily so you need the knack of taking them off the baking tray after being cooked!

https://centra.ie/thumbnail/800x800/var/files/brandbank/5055904202635-8263-11b3c0-Muscle-Food-Chargrilled-Chicken---Pepper-Stonebaked-Pizza-350g.jpg

https://centra.ie/thumbnail/800x800/var/files/brandbank/5055904203113-8262-e4b251-Muscle-Food-Super-Spicy-Beef---Jalapeno-Stonebaked-Pizza-350g.jpg

Advertisement