Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,383 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyone else here do all deadlift warm-ups as double overhand? Or even do double overhand regularly.
    Kinda curious what's a good ratio of max double over to max deadlift. Been training it the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    Anyone else here do all deadlift warm-ups as double overhand? Or even do double overhand regularly.
    Kinda curious what's a good ratio of max double over to max deadlift. Been training it the last while.

I’d usually warm up and use double overhand to to around 140kg. I’ve pulled 180kg recently double overhand and my max mixed grip is 205

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pretty similar ratios, id double overhand to 120 when warming up then switch, would probably be pulling 160-170 as a one rep max right now.

So about 80-90%?
    I've a feeling it will be higher for 1rm vrs 5rm due to grip fatigue being a bigger issue in DOH than mixed grip

Give or take, personally. Agree with you on the reps bit.

Out of interest, why is it you are looking at double overhand? Personally for me its because i do little other grip training and i feel it helps from that point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I do all my sets double overhand these days. I've lost the feeling for mixed grip, I didn't like the pressure I felt in my front delt/bicep on the pronated hand. I think I read too many horror stories about bicep tears.

My grip never fails on deadlifts though, something else in the chain lets me down first.

Which leads me to my own question, my deadlift fails about 10cm inches from the floor or it locks out. Weak glutes?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

So about 80-90%?
    I've a feeling it will be higher for 1rm vrs 5rm due to grip fatigue being a bigger issue in DOH than mixed grip

What grip training do you do?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Brian? wrote: »
    fails about 10cm inches from the floor

Does it happen 60% of the time every time?

I do all my sets double overhand these days. I've lost the feeling for mixed grip, I didn't like the pressure I felt in my front delt/bicep on the pronated hand.
    Proper double overhand or hook grip?
    I'm kinda surprised that it's not failing you on a max effort.
    What grip training do you do?
    I've a fairly heavy gripper that I use a bit. Goes up to about a CoC #3.5. I also do plate pinches and bar hanging.
    In the past I've done farmers walks, towel pull-ups, and fat bar/axle holds.

@mellor, can you close the 3.5??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I haven't done farmers walks regularly in a few years. But at the time, they seemed to be the exercise to massively increase my grip strength. My grip hasn't gone away since I stopped doing them. I've no idea what % my DOH compared to mixed is, but 80-90% sounds about right. I usually use DOH up to 2nd last warmup set.

@Brian - what's your setup like? Failing close to the floor sounds to me like it would be due to a loss of position early on. Have you recorded yourself from the side lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Which leads me to my own question, my deadlift fails about 10cm inches from the floor or it locks out. Weak glutes?

It may be that it's a a weakness in glutes and/or hams.

It also might be that your setup could be better.

It's kinda hard to tell without seeing it though, tbh

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    @mellor, can you close the 3.5??
    Jaysus no. Not even close.
    There's 6 settings. I'm only on the third. Which is somewhere around between a #1.5 and a #2

It's a variation of this one.I doubt I'll ever outgrow it tbh.
    https://www.amazon.com/GD-90-Adjustable-Gripper-Pinch/dp/B015616UD8

It may be that it's a a weakness in glutes and/or hams.

It also might be that your setup could be better.

It's kinda hard to tell without seeing it though, tbh

Both could be true. My setup definitely needs readjustment, I think I've tweaked my starting position so much over the last year I don't know where I began anymore.

My lifting history is erratic for various reasons. My PR squat and deadlift were set in 2012. 2.5x BW deadlift and 2.2 x BW squat.

Elbow injury. 5 months without lifting heavy.

3 months rehab and I was back to about 90% of PRs.

Boom. First knee surgery. Lateral release, my knee was built badly. I'd be managing the knee for 16 years but it had enough.

Didn't lift heavy for about 3 years. Dedicated myself to cycling instead with some weights for rehab.

Then decided to get strong again. Loud crack while walking into my office one morning. Piece of bone died on my tibia in the knee joint, sheared off and took some cartilage with it. Knee athroscopy to clean it up. Surgeon tells me it was nothing to do with first surgery, random chance and he was shocked my knee looked so healthy inside after all it had been through. That was a year ago in June.

Rehabbed the knee, all good. Both legs equal in strength. I've been randomly lifting on and off since but nothing's felt right about it. Could be psychological trauma, flavoured with mobility issues.

That's a lot of waffle to explain why my deadlift setup isn't where I want it. My motor patterns now are so different to my peak.

they/them/theirs

I haven't done farmers walks regularly in a few years. But at the time, they seemed to be the exercise to massively increase my grip strength. My grip hasn't gone away since I stopped doing them. I've no idea what % my DOH compared to mixed is, but 80-90% sounds about right. I usually use DOH up to 2nd last warmup set.

@Brian - what's your setup like? Failing close to the floor sounds to me like it would be due to a loss of position early on. Have you recorded yourself from the side lately?

I think ill recorsd myself. You're probably right. Shoulder position in relation to the bar sound like it might be the culprit.

they/them/theirs

Proper double overhand or hook grip?
    I'm kinda surprised that it's not failing you on a max effort.

See my autobiography above. It could simply be that my grip strength wasn't lost at the same rate as my overall strength. When I was recovering from the knee ops, I kept at the pull ups but the legs weren't working.

When I was at peak, I used mix grip. But even then I could pull very close to max double over hand for 1-3 reps. Grip was only ever an issue over 3 reps.

I've a fairly heavy gripper that I use a bit. Goes up to about a CoC #3.5. I also do plate pinches and bar hanging.
    In the past I've done farmers walks, towel pull-ups, and fat bar/axle holds.

Thats plenty alright.

they/them/theirs

Thats plenty alright.
    Yeah it's something I make a bit of effort with. Main reason I switched to DOH was to hit grip a bit more, with hopefully easier recovery.

Closing in on 2xBW DOH DL, all time max is 2.5x mixed grip. If like 2.5x DOH. I've a few other grip goal I'd like to hit along the way.

So my bar and plates arrived today.

Has anyone dealt with first time use of bar and plates before? The bar itself seems to be oily, and some type of sheen or greasiness from the plates too.

Any tips on removing ie. with what and best method?

VW 1 wrote: »
    So my bar and plates arrived today.

Has anyone dealt with first time use of bar and plates before? The bar itself seems to be oily, and some type of sheen or greasiness from the plates too.

Any tips on removing ie. with what and best method?
    Thats to protect them. I'd leave it on tbh. Especially if storing in a shed or something. The grips will dry up quick enough with chalk. The oil will be good for the sleeves and bearings.

Thats to protect them. I'd leave it on tbh. Especially if storing in a shed or something. The grips will dry up quick enough with chalk. The oil will be good for the sleeves and bearings.

Thank you kindly.

• Advertisement

I think ill recorsd myself. You're probably right. Shoulder position in relation to the bar sound like it might be the culprit.

Alan thrall released 2 videos very recently that go over setup

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Alan thrall released 2 videos very recently that go over setup

Gis a link. I know what the setup should be, but I'm still interested

they/them/theirs

Gis a link. I know what the setup should be, but I'm still interested

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKbqz9KAhw&t=6s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjYp2CBanA&t=339s

There is a sale on the adidas website and i'm this close to picking up power perfect 3s for 50 quid... any good?

bluewolf wrote: »
    There is a sale on the adidas website and i'm this close to picking up power perfect 3s for 50 quid... any good?

Very good shoe. Had them before, well the PP2, and only moved away from them because I found the slightly lower heel (0.6" vs 0.75") seemed to work better for me.

Very good shoe. Had them before, well the PP2, and only moved away from them because I found the slightly lower heel (0.6" vs 0.75") seemed to work better for me.

i've had my pp2 shoes for yonks and love em
    thought a backup pair be handy

bluewolf wrote: »
    i've had my pp2 shoes for yonks and love em
    thought a backup pair be handy

Doubt the PP3s are any different. Same as Powerlift 3s are the Powerlift 2s in different colours.

I'm all for backup pairs...

Ok can't say no to 130 -> 48
    Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'm all for backup pairs. different colours..

Gotta match them gymshark seamless leggings gurl, wha?

• Advertisement

Gotta match them gymshark seamless leggings gurl, wha?

More Primark than gymshark

Advertisement