Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching ESL Abroad - Home Country Recognition?

Options
  • 19-01-2017 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been teaching ESL in South East Asia for 4 years now (an Irish BA degree, TEFL cert, and I've almost completed an M.Ed in an Asian university too),I'm wondering what are my options to get recognized teaching qualifications from my home country, Ireland?)

There are courses on offer via blending distance learning by reputable British unis but that doesn't grant QTS status. What are the requirements for Ireland?

The problem is it's hard to move up the pay scale here without having official home country status and I'm not sure I'm in the position to return home for a bums on seats course for 1-2 years either (my family is here in Asia).

Any advice folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

What country are you in?

I'm in Hong Kong at a public primary school, and will be bumping into a salary ceiling myself in a couple years. However, there's a few options for part-time PGDEs out here (I've got an interview on Friday, actually). This would get me over that ceiling, and doesn't require qualified status in Ireland. Not an option where you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

I'm in Thailand at the moment, but I am thinking of China, or maybe the Gulf States as a next move.

I'm hoping to do a distance MA in TESOL with uni of Southampton next too, but not sure what doors that will open?

J5

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

What country are you in?

I'm in Hong Kong at a public primary school, and will be bumping into a salary ceiling myself in a couple years. However, there's a few options for part-time PGDEs out here (I've got an interview on Friday, actually). This would get me over that ceiling, and doesn't require qualified status in Ireland. Not an option where you are?

Are you teaching ESL, or are you teaching a subject via English?

Teaching ESL; the title of my course would be PGDE Primary (English)

Think an MA in TESOL would be beneficial if you were looking to get university work; not sure how much it would help for primary or secondary schools, though.

This is what I'm employed under; http://www.edb.gov.hk/NET/

Could be worth a look. Hong Kong also has decent pay compared to most SEA countries; higher cost of living of course, but still the potential for very high savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 samwich27

Hello :) I've just been accepted into the PNET pool with a CELT and a few years experience, including a year in a primary school in Korea. Just wondering how realistic my job chances are. Am I up against loads of PGCE holders? And do schools interview by Skype or are you expected to be there in person? I'm currently in Dublin, earning peanuts in the TEFL industry here! What happens once you get into the 'pool' seems a bit vague.

There are plenty of PGCE holders (and holders of other teaching qualifications) who'll be in the pool, BUT......it's really down to the school whether you get hired or not. If they like you and you interview well, whether you technically have QTS may not be as much of a consideration.

I've heard of schools who MAY interview by Skype, but to be honest I'd say it's rare. You may get lucky, but your best bet is to be in HK for hiring time (i.e. May time).

Advertisement