Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour emergency electricians

Options
  • 19-01-2017 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a had an issue with a defunct alarm system going off here and i dont have a code.

ive tried calling most of the first page on google for emergency electricians and left voicemails, where the numbers allow but nothing has been returned in over an hour.

is there a good reliable call out service for domestic stuff in dublin city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi guys,

I have a had an issue with a defunct alarm system going off here and i dont have a code.

ive tried calling most of the first page on google for emergency electricians and left voicemails, where the numbers allow but nothing has been returned in over an hour.

is there a good reliable call out service for domestic stuff in dublin city?

In general electricians do not deal with alarm systems as it requires a separate security licence which most won't have so you would be better off trying to contact a company that deals with alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,010 ✭✭✭✭listermint

aido79 wrote: »
    In general electricians do not deal with alarm systems as it requires a separate security licence which most won't have so you would be better off trying to contact a company that deals with alarms.

This

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »

I think that any Registered Electrical Contractor would be permitted to decommission / remove any alarm system. It is the installation and maintenance of an intruder alarm system that requires a PSA license.

Removing an intruder alarm is simple, very roughly a qualified person would:

1) Isolate the mains voltage supply to the panel.
    2) Disconnect the internal battery within the panel.
    3) Disconnect the internal
    battery within the bell box (or wait until it runs down).
    4) Remove all cabling

As above any alarm installer would also be able to do this. However they would not be permitted to work on the distribution board (unlike the REC).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

2011 wrote: »
    I think that any Registered Electrical Contractor would be permitted to decommission / remove any alarm system. It is the installation and maintenance of an intruder alarm system that requires a PSA license.

Removing an intruder alarm is simple, very roughly a qualified person would:

1) Isolate the mains voltage supply to the panel.
    2) Disconnect the internal battery within the panel.
    3) Disconnect the internal
    battery within the bell box (or wait until it runs down).
    4) Remove all cabling

As above any alarm installer would also be able to do this. However they would not be permitted to work on the distribution board (unlike the REC).

It all depends on what the OP wants to do with it. If they want to get rid of it they can get an electrician or an alarm installer. If they want the alarm repaired they will need to get an alarm installer.
    Nothing to do with alarm systems in a domestic situation is particularly difficult and I've never really agreed with the need for PSA registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Removing all cabling is a total unnecessary and non pratical option if alarm was wired at first fixing stage of house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Removing all cabling is a total unnecessary and non pratical option if alarm was wired at first fixing stage of house.

I guess that depends on many factors, such as the condition of the cabling, if it is considered an eyesore, if it seems likely that it will be used again, if the cable in question is a mains voltage cable for a panel that is no longer installed, if the cabling is fit for purpose etc....

Speaking as someone that has rewired many installations I would normally have removed any cabling that is no longer required, so far as is practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

guys thanks for the good feedback the goal is to disable and prevent the alarm unit from triggering.

the unit appears to be from 2003 and will need to be replaced in due course when we are having work done to the place shortly i just need to make sure that i dont wake the entire street.

we're locked up and bolted on all doors every night so i'm happy that ona temporary basis we can go without the alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

we're locked up and bolted on all doors every night so i'm happy that ona temporary basis we can go without the alarm

Why don't you post in the home security forum, if you haven't already. You'd get a good response there I think

Advertisement