Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms of rent renewal

Options
  • 19-01-2017 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Morning guys,

Just looking for some advice on my lease renewal please. I have lived in a rented house for six years. The landlord (via property manager) has requested to increase the rent, and I have agreed. Lovely house, great area and we are very settled here.

My question is around the terms of the renewal where the words have been changed from fixed to "rollover basis not a fix term - on the basis that either part may give 5 weeks notice to terminate the agreement".

I thought that as i have lived here for 6 years, i am entitled to 12 weeks notice? And what does "roll over basis" mean?

Thanks for any clarity, or a point in the right direction :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Thats outside the tenancy law - wouldn't sign it but even if you do nothing in any lease or rental agreement that is not adherent to the current tenancy law can be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Rollover is just another way to say it's not a fixed term. The tenancy is rolling over despite no additional fixed term being agreed.

Just ask them to change the contract term to say "may give notice in line with the current legislation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Thanks for the advice guys :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It would be better to pretend you are ignorant of the legislation. You can sign away. Nothing you sign can take away your rights under legislation. If the landlord tries to rely on it, just go to the RTB and have it quashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It would be better to pretend you are ignorant of the legislation. You can sign away. Nothing you sign can take away your rights under legislation. If the landlord tries to rely on it, just go to the RTB and have it quashed.

As the above poster has said.

Rollover I take to mean partIV. Don't worry lease can not take away your rights which would be 12 weeks after 6 years given the appropriate reason for terminating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I appreciate the responses guys. I rang the property manager, and they agreed to strip out the line about the five weeks and resend. Maybe not as big a deal as i thought, but i do appreciate all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I appreciate the responses guys. I rang the property manager, and they agreed to strip out the line about the five weeks and resend. Maybe not as big a deal as i thought, but i do appreciate all the advice

You shouldn't have to tell them how to do their job though. They appear so amateurish

Advertisement