Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring Child's Internet / tablet usage

Options
  • 19-01-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this has been discussed previously or is in the wrong forum however I am looking for some advice regarding possible apps that I can use to monitor by child's usage. I don't want to snoop as such but I do want to know how long she's spending on it (she's 11 by the way!) Is there an app that I can put on my iPhone and her iPad that would tell me this? Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depending on how techy you are and if the iPad is going to be connected to your network in your home you can use Opendns.com
    Opendns.com allows you to view the websites being visited, you can block certain services or sites or types of content.

It's relatively easy setup - https://www.opendns.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I'd be snooping all the way- she's 11! With Eir you can limit the time on each device which would give you control over how much she's online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Could you not just give it to her for your preferred amount of time then take it off her? It is the best way to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I would absolutely be snooping as well!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Snoop....she's 11. It's akin to letting her loose in the city centre somewhere and not keeping an eye on her.

There's loads of devices and loads of ways. I'm not fully up to date on all programmes, but you could simply switch off your wifi after a set period, set a time every evening that she can use it (I'd still use tracker programmes and apps in those situations, btw). I believe you can set up your email to tie in with what she's using and her email, so you see what she gets and can monitor it, (reminder:she's 11) . I'm sure there's apps to set a time on the device that will switch it off after a designated amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My son got an Amazon fire from his grandparents :rolleyes:

However, there is a Kids version of it, it is basically the normal Fire just with a lot more ways to set up the security. You can individually lock down certain parts of it like the camera, browsers and make everything password-locked. Works great for my 6y/o. (Again why did he get a feckin' tablet, spoiled little thing)

Advertisement