Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance broker wants copy of tax disc

Options
  • 18-01-2017 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

The internet says that motor tax does not matter to insurance companies.

I have a car that has not been taxed since march. Valid reason and could not cancel insurance policy.

Received the following letter from broker yesterday:

"We have been notified by your insurer that your policy has been selected for review to ensure that all the policy information is up to date.

Please forward the following within the next fourteen days:

- A copy of the current tax disc

If we do not receive we will cancel. "

My questions are;

They obviously know, should they be allowed to know?

Why do they care?

What do people think?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can almost smell the word "scam".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm seeing it a lot more that people are being told they neeed to present valid tax to be insured.
    The only legal requirement is that you be insured to get tax but they are the ones underwriting the policy so their rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

People often post here about insuring an auld shltbox that is laid up and using their driving of other cars extension to drive a 'mates' car. This is a cross check to see if the insured vehicle is still on the road. Other methods are also used

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As you have a valid reason for no tax I'm sure the broker/insurer will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Under the Terms of Business of all trading insurance companies and underwriting of business

Customers may have requests for documents related to the proving of Road traffic act for the vehicle they are insuring,

- Licences for listed drivers
    -VLC to confirm owner
    -NCT to confirm car is currently road legal per RTA
    -Road tax- confirm type of road tax
    (To clarify ye not taxing as commercial/taxi/vintage or other instead of the private risk ye told at inception of policy

If a car is off the road, then the SORN letter from motor tax office is acceptable

These are legal part of the policy you bought and failure to provide the requested files ,within reasonable time, may result in cancellation or refusal of renewal offer. Every motor policy has this clause . Normally first 6 pages of your policy explain same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fpryan

Cheers for all the replies, makes sense.

I was more annoyed that the tax office provided the information that there was no valid tax disc more than anything.

Oh well.

Advertisement