Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to drive uninsured car two hours to collect insured car. Ins Co won't swap cover

Options
  • 19-01-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

What would you do? My head is wrecked trying to sort it out.

Edit: Uninsured car is in remotest place in Ireland or I'd hire a car for the day, but there's nowhere to leave it back out there.

I also don't have anyone to ask to drive me out that far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Edit: Uninsured car is in remotest place in Ireland or I'd hire a car for the day, but there's nowhere to leave it back out there.

Not being smart but couldn't you just get a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

nophd08 wrote: »
    Not being smart but couldn't you just get a taxi?

It's a two hour drive, Daddy Warbucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do you have driving other cars extension?
    If you're over 25 and have your own insurance (ie, not a named driver) you probably have that cover. Check your cert.

you'll be able to drive the other car if you don't own it, regardless of whether it's insured or not. I presume you don't own the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

If it's so remote then can the current owner / dealer  not help you out? Could they meet you with the car - maybe you get public transport and have them meet you at wherever the nearest stop is? You could even pay them for the trouble...they would need to plan how they get home of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

In no way is this a reason to drive uninsured, come on, be creative, you'll find a way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I done it a few years ago, but its dodgy obviously.

but then there what, 20% of drivers on the road or whaqtever their statistic was a few weeks back driving uninsured?!

I picked car up from Dublin docks, was told everything would be ok to insure it in order to drive it to the vrt centre (in santry at the time)

picked up car, rang insurance back "oh we didn't know it was on Japanese plates, nothing we can do"
    err, I had clearly explained it was on jap plates.

it was like 3.30 and I think the old vrt place closed in like 40 minutes, so I drove the car through the port tunnel to the vrt office.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    I done it a few years ago, but its dodgy obviously.

but then there what, 20% of drivers on the road or whaqtever their statistic was a few weeks back driving uninsured?!

I picked car up from Dublin docks, was told everything would be ok to insure it in order to drive it to the vrt centre (in santry at the time)

picked up car, rang insurance back "oh we didn't know it was on Japanese plates, nothing we can do"
    err, I had clearly explained it was on jap plates.

it was like 3.30 and I think the old vrt place closed in like 40 minutes, so I drove the car through the port tunnel to the vrt office.

You murdering scumbag!!!

(or at least thats the kinda response you're likely to get for admitting any wrong doing on here)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have the "driving other cars" extension on your insurance, then you can drive the car but just can't park it in public. If the car belongs to you, or you don't have this extension then someone else with it, can drive the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

How are you going to get both cars back?
    What about hiring a car with a trailer and towing the second car home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Pay a recovery service to collect it and bring it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Simple... who owns 'uninsured car'
    If it was u, then only option is get perm cover on it, the perm sub to other car

You are hardly gonna drive 1st car to remote area and dump there when u collect 2nd car ....

Insurance company has to give u reason for turn down of cover, so what story did u tell them when u called.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

€84 for membership with AA

I'd drive it for €50 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Where is the car you've got to collect??

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Even though it's your policy that covers you when driving someone else's car, it must have insurance on it already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Yep. You can never drive car that doesn't have insurance associated with it (at least according to all the policies I've had)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

according to my policy for example. I am insured to drive someone else's car.

The car must be insured by the owner, I must have the owners permission to drive it, And the car can't be registered in my name.
    You will need to check your own policy for details.

Thanks for replies.

I don't have insurance to cover me to bring and leave old car to Remotest Place in Ireland, so I could collect Good car that has insurance. Bus would take daaaays.

The car I have here is crap, I can't understand why insurance co won't swap cover for two days. I only have 3rd party, so no skin off their nose if it dies in the middle of the bog.

Does anyone know of services that would drop Good Car home to me?

20 mins west from Belmullet town to Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Got to point out that if you travel west from Belmullet town you're not going to Sligo town; you're going to . . . well, to Canada, I suppose.

Still, I'm guessing the car you want is somewhere between Sligo and Belmullet.

Piece of cake. Train to Ballina, then a taxi east or west, as the case may be, to your destination. Or, if you're lucky, there's a bus from Ballina to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for replies.

I don't have insurance to cover me to bring and leave old car to Remotest Place in Ireland, so I could collect Good car that has insurance. Bus would take daaaays.

The car I have here is crap, I can't understand why insurance co won't swap cover for two days. I only have 3rd party, so no skin off their nose if it dies in the middle of the bog.

Does anyone know of services that would drop Good Car home to me?

You can contact a local recovery company to drop the car to you. Might not be much more expensive than you driving for several hours to get there and back.

Easiest solution would be for the person with the good car to drive to somewhere with good public transport options for you then transfer your insurance permanently to the new car, then drop them back and drive home yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Got to point out that if you travel west from Belmullet town you're not going to Sligo town; you're going to . . . well, to Canada, I suppose.

Still, I'm guessing the car you want is somewhere between Sligo and Belmullet.

Piece of cake. Train to Ballina, then a taxi east or west, as the case may be, to your destination. Or, if you're lucky, there's a bus from Ballina to your destination.

There is no direct train line from Sligo to balina at least not since the 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

judeboy101 wrote: »
    There is no direct train line from Sligo to balina at least not since the 60's
    OP doesn't say that he's starting from Sligo, does he? He says the car is in "the remotest place in Ireland", which if you're in Sligo is certainly not an apt descriptor for Belmullet. Belmullet's in the next county.

Still, if he is in Sligo, there's a bus to Ballina five times a day. Indeed, there's buses onwards from Ballina to Belmullet (and on to Blacksod). The timetables may not be convenient, but it's likely that buses can get him quite close to the car that he wants to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Bring your bike on the bus to Belmullet. Cycle from there. Put your new insurance disk in the windscreen and your bike in the boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Peregrinus wrote: »
    OP doesn't say that he's starting from Sligo, does he? He says the car is in "the remotest place in Ireland", which if you're in Sligo is certainly not an apt descriptor for Belmullet. Belmullet's in the next county.

Still, if he is in Sligo, there's a bus to Ballina five times a day. Indeed, there's buses onwards from Ballina to Belmullet (and on to Blacksod). The timetables may not be convenient, but it's likely that buses can get him quite close to the car that he wants to pick up.

He said Sligo to west of belmullet, one assumes that's Sligo in Ireland. So please explain how getting the train from Sligo to balina works? Maybe go to mullingar and transfer?

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm an old "she" with arthritis so I'd cry if I had to cycle!

I might see could I get someone to drop it to Ballina for me, handy enough bus from Sligo to Ballina then.

If the insurance co would just swap the bloody insurance over for 24 hours it'd save a lot of hassle.i
    Sorry, forgot, does anyone know of anyone that will transport cars for you? I've had a look but can't find anything, I'm not sure what the term is. Also, budget v tight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get a neighbour or friend to drop you to the nearest bus stop, get the bus to the closest point it can go. Walk or taxi the rest
    Or
    Cycle to bus stop, do the same as above, cycle to new car.
    Or
    Cycle the whole way
    Or
    Throw a friend or family member a few quid to drive you and owe them a favour

snoopy84 wrote: »
    Even though it's your policy that covers you when driving someone else's car, it must have insurance on it already

Not for the vast majority of policies.

This is a common misconception

Skatedude wrote: »
    according to my policy for example. I am insured to drive someone else's car.

The car must be insured by the owner, I must have the owners permission to drive it, And the car can't be registered in my name.
    You will need to check your own policy for details.
    You're unlucky to have arse holes as an insurance company. Most companies don't require the vehicle to be otherwise insured.

But regardless the OP has third party only insurance so probably doesn't have driving other cars on her policy so this doesn't apply

• Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Something doesn't add up. How are you getting the car you drive out there back home?
    Or are you abandoning it / selling it on while you are there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Akrasia wrote: »
    Not for the vast majority of policies.

This is a common misconception

Most policies it needs to be insured and/or roadworthy i.e. NCT and taxed. All of mine have always been that the car has insurance on it and is not owned by me. It maybe a common misconception but I have yet to meet anyone where it is not applicable.

Advertisement