Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to drive uninsured car two hours to collect insured car. Ins Co won't swap cover

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

First one on your list makes no mention of it in current policy documentation
    https://www.allianz.ie/allianz-insurance-documents/

– Driving other Cars
    We will insure You in respect of legal liability, as provided under Section 1 (Third Party
    Insurance) whilst You are driving another Private Car, provided such Private Car:
    1. Does not belong to You or Your employer.
    2. Is not hired or leased to either of the parties described above under a Hire Purchase or
    Leasing Agreement.
    3. Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade business of which You are a director, member or employee.
    Cover under this Endorsement is limited to use within Ireland and the United Kingdom only.

Again the first one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hang on a second is the first point not a game ender.

"The vehicle is not owned by you or your employer or hired to you or them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;"

Sorry CramCycles "fake news" took things off on a tangent into "driving other cars" in general rather than your specific scenario.

The obvious solution in most cases (again, you've ruled this out I know) is to get a sane and sensible family member or friend to use their third party extension to move the uninsured car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've never been clear on why an insurance company would care whether the other car has a policy connected to it. The legal requirement is 3rd party cover and that's all that's provided by the "driving other cars extension" - that's connected to the driver, not the car. The only issue that I can see is if the other car didn't have an insurance disc.

(none of this is particularly helpful to the OP - is there no-one who could give you a lift there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Akrasia wrote: »
    Unless you're an idiot and park the car in a dangerous place causing an accident, a parked car isn't going to cause any insurance risk to other drivers
    A car cannot be parked in a public place without an active insurance policy.
    Hang on a second is the first point not a game ender.
    Yes. Now that the OP has clarified that she effectively owns both vehicles, then she cannot drive the old car on the new car's insurance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just thinking, wouldn't it be great if we could insure the driver, rather than the car. One can dream I suppose :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

seamus wrote: »
    A car cannot be parked in a public place without an active insurance policy.

Yes. Now that the OP has clarified that she effectively owns both vehicles, then she cannot drive the old car on the new car's insurance policy.

Thought it was just tax needed?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just thinking, wouldn't it be great if we could insure the driver, rather than the car. One can dream I suppose :pac:

It would certainly save a lot of headache but like most things the few would ruin it for the many :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Akrasia wrote: »
    You're unlucky to have arse holes as an insurance company. Most companies don't require the vehicle to be otherwise insured.

But regardless the OP has third party only insurance so probably doesn't have driving other cars on her policy so this doesn't apply

I have fully comp, but apparently because old banger car is still in my name they can't transfer my ins over for the 48 hours.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Thought it was just tax needed?
    No, insurance too. The legislation says, "use" in a public place, but people have been done for having the vehicle parked in public and uninsured.

Something doesn't add up. How are you getting the car you drive out there back home?
    Or are you abandoning it / selling it on while you are there?

I have insurance on the car in Belmullet. I leave the old banger on the farm, off the road - usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I have insurance on the car in Belmullet. I leave the old banger on the farm, off the road - usually.

you could get a bus from Sligo to Ballina and then on to Belmullet from there.

I'm sure the seller would meet you in Belmullet with the car if its already a done deal.

If you are buying from Kennedy's the the Blacksod bus stops in Binghamstown....

xabi wrote: »
    Why wont insurance do a temp swap? Tell them its a loaner from garage while your car gets fixed.

I didn't know this so just asked for it to be temporarily swapped to my other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Car needs to be insured to drive it with the "other cars" extension on any policy.
    Get a bus/train up there?
    Get a lift from a mate?

Blackjack wrote: »
    you could get a bus from Sligo to Ballina and then on to Belmullet from there.

I'm sure the seller would meet you in Belmullet with the car if its already a done deal.

If you are buying from Kennedy's the the Blacksod bus stops in Binghamstown....

It's in the garage out past Blacksod.

Car needs to be insured to drive it with the "other cars" extension on any policy.
    Get a bus/train up there?
    Get a lift from a mate?

I literally hadn't thought of any of those ideas. Thank you.

Sorry. I'm cranky. I have two cars. Spend €100 a month on insurance + tax + maintenance and I had to spend €15 on a taxi to hospital yesterday.

I need a lotto win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sorry. I'm cranky. I have two cars. Spend €100 a month on insurance + tax + maintenance and I had to spend €15 on a taxi to hospital yesterday.

I need a lotto win.

Sell one of them

CramCycle wrote: »
    Allianz
    AXA
    AIG

Have all required it, both verbally and on the document for me. I also think Quinn had it but I don't think I was covered to drive other cars with them, that was along time ago.

FBD in my fathers case

Cannot remember any other insurers.

I've been with Axa until recently enough and they don't require it. Liberty have never required it either especially when they were quinn. 123.ie don't require it and as far as I know Allianz don't require it either.

In all seriousness, it might be worth putting up a request on the Mayo and/or Sligo forums;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=952

Someone might be making the trip who can give you a lift to Belmullet.

Citation needed.
    or
    6c507ed1f9914b5828071157f8a2918895dcd5a15e04cc99e7d9f8ddccba0894.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've been insured with 3 or 4 different insurance companies as well as seeing policies from others. Never have I see the stipulation that it must be insured. That would mean most insurance companies operating in Ireland I have not seen this rule.

You are most likely misinterpreting what is said, as I've seen people claim this about their policy and when I read their cert it doesn't say it at all. The line that is usually misinterpreted is one stating that driving other cars only applies if you are not covered by another policy on the car i.e. if you are a named driver that over rules the driving other cars. People read this as meaning the other car must be insured for some reason.
    Quite possible on some of them that I misread or remember incorrectly it but some of them specifically stated that the car must be owned and insured in another persons name.
    First one on your list makes no mention of it in current policy documentation
    https://www.allianz.ie/allianz-insurance-documents/

– Driving other Cars
    We will insure You in respect of legal liability, as provided under Section 1 (Third Party
    Insurance) whilst You are driving another Private Car, provided such Private Car:
    1. Does not belong to You or Your employer.
    2. Is not hired or leased to either of the parties described above under a Hire Purchase or
    Leasing Agreement.
    3. Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade business of which You are a director, member or employee.
    Cover under this Endorsement is limited to use within Ireland and the United Kingdom only.
    Mine was via the AA but the insurance was with Allianz if that makes a difference. It is what was stated on my certificate of motor insurance, the policy reads like yours though. I can't say more than that. I used to have the ability to do it as a named driver on my partners insurance. Then it disappeared one year and when I queried it they said that is not an option. I scanned and mailed them and also asked them to refer back to previous phonecalls where they confirmed it.
    Sorry CramCycles "fake news" took things off on a tangent into "driving other cars" in general rather than your specific scenario.
    Happy to concede that it is not the norm, just that it is what has been on mine, like I said maybe not every time.

First reply in from Liberty.

You may notice there is no reference that the other car cannot be registered to you but it is only for temporary usage (insert meaning/longevity here).

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email dated 20th January 2017

If you are a full licence holder and do not work in the motor trade our policies include a third party extension which allows the policyholder to drive another privately owned car third party only as long as it is taxed and road worthy on a temporary basis.

If there are any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Kind Regards
    Sonia Gilroy
    Administration Department
    Private Lines
    Liberty Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

First reply in from Liberty.

You may notice there is no reference that the other car cannot be registered to you but it is only for temporary usage (insert meaning/longevity here).

But it is mentioned in the policy documents. Which is what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Funmum05

Yeah I think I was Aviva that was mentioned the last time this came up too. There's a whole bunch of reasons that Aviva won't insure me, not least because my car was damaged by a third party through no faul of my own and I had to claim off that persons policy.

Yup, Aviva won't insure anyone who has been the innocent victim of a bad driver, even if it was the bad drivers insurance that paid out.

As you didn't claim off your insurance its known as a No Blame Claim and does not need to be declared. This happened me last year and I declared the accident as I read my policy incorrect. When renewing my policy the question they ask is Have you or anyone else on your policy made a claim on the policy regardless of blame. I read this to mean I had to declare it. They marked it then on my policy as a Third party claim which meant that a third party claimed off my insurance which was not the case. I claimed off theirs. Rang my crowd and they explained to me that it should've been noted as a No Blame and that i did not have to declare it.

Funmum05 wrote: »
    As you didn't claim off your insurance its known as a No Blame Claim and does not need to be declared. This happened me last year and I declared the accident as I read my policy incorrect. When renewing my policy the question they ask is Have you or anyone else on your policy made a claim on the policy regardless of blame. I read this to mean I had to declare it. They marked it then on my policy as a Third party claim which meant that a third party claimed off my insurance which was not the case. I claimed off theirs. Rang my crowd and they explained to me that it should've been noted as a No Blame and that i did not have to declare it.

Our Assumptions
    Get your Aviva car insurance quote now
    In offering you an online car insurance quote, we assume the following:

You (your named drivers or any person who may drive your car) driving history
    Have had no claims made against you in the last three years, have no outstanding claims, nor been involved in any accident or loss

There's only two ways to interpret this assumption - they are incompetent @ssholes who can't explain themselves at all. Or they are @ssholes who won't insure people with "no blame" in any accident or loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

It's a two hour drive, Daddy Warbucks!

You should try to get a quote from a hackney firm.
    A few years back i got a hackney which did a hour and a half trip one way for 60 euro . Price was prearranged

Advertisement