Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So I went for another ICE - please don't hate me.

• 19-01-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭

It was time to change up the main car recently, and as you EV folk on here may know, I have been considering an EV since the last time I changed in 2015.

After much consideration, I have decided to stick with ICE for another few years at least, and am back in a diesel again.

So why didn't I go electric this time?

Well, to be honest, I thought that in the last few years EVs would have really caught on and made real progress. Of course they are improving but for me its just not fast enough to consider making the switch now.

In summary, some of the things that stopped me:
    1) Range still not high enough. Although they would all suffice for my commute, it would be nice to have slightly better range.
    2) EVs just don't seem to have captured the publics imagination yet. My great fear the last time I changed was resale value, and I have this fear again, if not more so, as EV sales seem to be stagnating.
    3) Potential monthly cost to be able to use public chargers. I know this has been deferred for now.
    4) Hold on and see.....the future of EV is in no doubt imho. More manufacturers are coming on board with more models, but I still think its very early in the life cycle of EVs, and I still fear early adopters might be open to massive depreciation. We will all be driving some sort of EV in the future, but I think its still a long way away for now. Government haven't made a proper effort at getting us into EVs, and their half-arsed attitude to it would not encourage me to buy....not quite yet anyway.

I do have a 2nd car for the family at present, which does all the shorter runs. Changing to an EV when we come to change this, maybe in 18 months time, is a definite possibility as we have less value tied up in that, but for now changing the main car to EV was just a step too far, too soon.

Sorry guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

PHEV is what I would go for in my situation. Electric would cover my commute every day, petrol for longer spins. Think they do 20/30 mms something like that.

Electric is definitely the future, and soon. Now, my question. Why isn't there a PHEV out there yet that has the electric capability of a full EV but also have a petrol/diesel option.

There will be soon, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bmwguy wrote: »
    Why isn't there a PHEV out there yet that has the electric capability of a full EV but also have a petrol/diesel option.

There are. I.e. the BMW i3 is an EV that can come with an optional range extender (REX) which is a small petrol engine that will charge the battery. I thought you, as a BMW guy, would be aware of that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

unkel wrote: »
    There are. I.e. the BMW i3 is an EV that can come with an optional range extender (REX) which is a small petrol engine that will charge the battery. I thought you, as a BMW guy, would be aware of that :p

No expert, picked the username years ago because I registered on boards to enquire about one. Even though I did briefly work for a bmw dealership many years ago in finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

PHEV is what I would go for in my situation. Electric would cover my commute every day, petrol for longer spins. Think they do 20/30 mms something like that.

Electric is definitely the future, and soon. Now, my question. Why isn't there a PHEV out there yet that has the electric capability of a full EV but also have a petrol/diesel option.

As mentioned already there is the i3 REx but tbh there isn't any others as it just doesn't make sense. You're either carrying around the additional weight of a motor+massive battery pack or an engine+fuel. That's a lot of wastage and would end up being too much of a compromise.

A PHEV should imo have about 50km realistic range. So a small enough battery pack and motor not be such a huge burden but still large enough to do majority of trips. But even in saying that if it's capable of doing the majority of trips why not just go full EV.

It's just an awkward time with the tech. Full EVs are not quite there yet for everyone, although they are for majority even if they don't want to consider it. I think PHEVs will be around for a while and end up being a stepping stone for most even if they aren't really needed. They'll change peoples perception which is probably the biggest barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Curious as the why you went for a diesel, when you were looking at an EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Curious as the why you went for a diesel, when you were looking at an EV.

I commute 50-60 miles per day, straight road, diesel I think is best suited for the task. I could have went petrol probably too but the mpg would work out much better.

I could do it in an EV too if I had bought one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

NIMAN wrote: »
    I commute 50-60 miles per day, straight road, diesel I think is best suited for the task. I could have went petrol probably too but the mpg would work out much better.

I could do it in an EV too if I had bought one.

This bit in bold is the bit I dont understand. If it can do your daily commute on one charge you're on a winner

Public charging costs is largely irrelevant to you if you can commute on one charge.

You have a 2nd car for longer runs if public charging became an issue. A 2 car household is ideally suited to EV as that gives you ultimate flexibility.

Depreciation is an issue, but all you have to do there is buy 2nd hand and depreciation is largely irrelevant then when you take the fuel savings into account.
    Lots of other benefits to EV as well (smoother, app connectivity, reduced servicing etc)

If you wanted a new car then I can understand your decision as the depreciation is too high. Not because there is anything wrong with the car just that the market is too small.

What diesel did you buy? Did you buy new?

KCross wrote: »
    This bit in bold is the bit I dont understand. If it can do your daily commute on one charge you're on a winner

Public charging costs is largely irrelevant to you if you can commute on one charge.

You have a 2nd car for longer runs if public charging became an issue. A 2 car household is ideally suited to EV as that gives you ultimate flexibility.

Depreciation is an issue, but all you have to do there is buy 2nd hand and depreciation is largely irrelevant then when you take the fuel savings into account.
    Lots of other benefits to EV as well (smoother, app connectivity, reduced servicing etc)

If you wanted a new car then I can understand your decision as the depreciation is too high. Not because there is anything wrong with the car just that the market is too small.

What diesel did you buy? Did you buy new?

I know I could survive on an EV as our main car but there was simply too many other factors, like some I listed, that stopped me from going for it this time.

I am not as resistant to changing to an EV as most of the population, maybe am somewhere in the middle. After all, they reckon 80% of European population could live their lives and do their commute on an EV, but they don't. Many have pre-conceived images of EVs,and I don't have many of these, but the technology simply isn't there yet for me to fork out hard earned cash on a next to new EV which might plummet in value in the next year or two.

I need to see solid progress made, good Gov initiatives, a decent resale market etc before I consider buying.

I changed a 13 diesel for a 16 diesel, and a car that will be easily traded in or sold in 2 or 3 yrs time when I come to change again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

@NIMAN: Did you consider any hybrids? Diesel may cost less on fuel if mostly motorway driving, but maintenance costs will undoubtedly be higher in the long run.
    Why isn't there a PHEV out there yet that has the electric capability of a full EV but also have a petrol/diesel option.

You can't fit an electric motor(s), ICE, large petrol tank and a large battery all into one car - there has to be a compromise somewhere. You can either have a PHEV with short-range EV capability, or an EV with a "range extender" which will have a small ICE and fuel tank mainly only as a backup (which will achieve average/poor fuel economy if used).

The new Prius PHV has a much smaller boot and only 2 seats in the back (compared to standard 4th gen Prius), in order to fit an 8.8 kWh battery and related charging equipment.
    This post has been deleted.

At €20k you could get a used Prius Plug-in (about 15 km EV range) or Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (about 35-40 km range?) from the UK. Don't know about the other price points. There's not much choice with PHEVs really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The issue with any PHEV is the taxation here. The VRT and SEAI grants are half of those got when buying a full EV. As the result they are much more expensive than EV or regular cars.

Which is a real shame - because without the range anxiety the electric efficiency and cleanness (the EV range in a PHEV would be sufficient for majority of everyday commutes) would be much easier adapted by the masses.

good Gov initiatives

In fairness, they are not gonna get any better:

€5k subsidy
    €5k VRT discount
    €1k free charge point
    free electricity at any public charging point
    cheapest motor tax

What else do you want, a free car? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness, they are not gonna get any better:

€5k subsidy
    €5k VRT discount
    €1k free charge point
    free electricity at any public charging point
    cheapest motor tax

What else do you want, a free car? :p

+ Tax/excise free fuel ,when charging at home or maybe free at work.

Interesting point your raise, Bigus. Does anyone know has there been a ruling in providing free charge in the workplace? If there hasn't, I would treat it as tax free (and not a BIK). Same as coffee, subsidised canteen, phone charging, internet / printer use in breaks, etc.

Re question if I considered a hybrid?

To be honest I didn't. Kinda had heart set on a Golf, so went with that.

Not mad keen on most of the hybrids. Maybe the range of those available will also increase over the next few years when I next come to change.

As for repair costs on diesels, I appreciate they can be higher, but I have a 1yr old car which we will likely change in probably 3yrs time, and it still has 3 yrs VW warranty on it. So outside of wear and tear, hopefully it'll not cost me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If an appropriate EV isn't available in 2 years when I'm due to change, I may look at a plug in. Anybody know what the electric range on the Ioniq plug in is?

DrPhil, what would appropriate be for you in 2 years time?

What are your expectations?

Not mad keen on most of the hybrids. Maybe the range of those available will also increase over the next few years when I next come to change.

As for repair costs on diesels, I appreciate they can be higher, but I have a 1yr old car which we will likely change in probably 3yrs time, and it still has 3 yrs VW warranty on it. So outside of wear and tear, hopefully it'll not cost me too much.

Isn't the VW warranty two years? Curious as I'm awaiting a diesel VW myself.

DrPhil, what would appropriate be for you in 2 years time?

What are your expectations?

I want 200 miles on a full charge. Which means probably a minimum of 50kwh battery. My current 24 Leaf will do 80 miles at a push so a little over double the battery size, plus some efficiency improvements and 50kwh should be close to that 200 mile benchmark.

I cope fine at the minute. Work is only a 25 mile round trip. But if I go to work in Derry and then home, and want to go to Letterkenny after work, then visit my dad, then home, I'll have to charge in Letterkenny.

I want to reach Belfast or Dublin without a stop, and Cork with 2. When I did Donegal to Cork I had probably 8 or 9 each way! I do Cork once a year, but I wouldn't do it in the Leaf again, I'll hire a car. Too much hassle. All you need is a few charger waits or blockages added to the normal charging times and you could almost double your journey time. The infrastructure is probably more crowded and less reliable than when I made the trip a year and a half ago too.

EV drivers ask me why I have that magical 200 mile mark given that the Leaf is our only car and is meeting my needs. Well basically 200 miles is (for me) the point where EV driving ceases to become a compromise. Currently I have to charge in Derry or Letterkenny occasionally. On a Belfast run, once each way. On a Dublin trip, 3 times each way.

When people ask me about the range of my car I do have to admit that it is occasionally an inconvenience, but it's well worth it for the €2k a year I'm saving. When we hit 200 miles per charge, that problem is gone. The huge issues of the charging infrastructure are almost gone because I would rarely have to use it. Depreciation will not be as bad because the car (even with some years on it) would still have a market.

I'll never buy new. So I'm hoping that a realistic 200 mile car comes out by mid/late 2018. That should give me plenty of 1 year old options by the time I switch in mid 2019.

Isn't the VW warranty two years? Curious as I'm awaiting a diesel VW myself.

Part of the deal I got the full 3yrs warranty put on it, as if it was a new car again. I think its the 3yr Das Velt Auto or something its called.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I want 200 miles on a full charge. Which means probably a minimum of 50kwh battery. My current 24 Leaf will do 80 miles at a push so a little over double the battery size, plus some efficiency improvements and 50kwh should be close to that 200 mile benchmark.

I cope fine at the minute. Work is only a 25 mile round trip. But if I go to work in Derry and then home, and want to go to Letterkenny after work, then visit my dad, then home, I'll have to charge in Letterkenny.

I want to reach Belfast or Dublin without a stop, and Cork with 2. When I did Donegal to Cork I had probably 8 or 9 each way! I do Cork once a year, but I wouldn't do it in the Leaf again, I'll hire a car. Too much hassle. All you need is a few charger waits or blockages added to the normal charging times and you could almost double your journey time. The infrastructure is probably more crowded and less reliable than when I made the trip a year and a half ago too.

EV drivers ask me why I have that magical 200 mile mark given that the Leaf is our only car and is meeting my needs. Well basically 200 miles is (for me) the point where EV driving ceases to become a compromise. Currently I have to charge in Derry or Letterkenny occasionally. On a Belfast run, once each way. On a Dublin trip, 3 times each way.

When people ask me about the range of my car I do have to admit that it is occasionally an inconvenience, but it's well worth it for the €2k a year I'm saving. When we hit 200 miles per charge, that problem is gone. The huge issues of the charging infrastructure are almost gone because I would rarely have to use it. Depreciation will not be as bad because the car (even with some years on it) would still have a market.

I'll never buy new. So I'm hoping that a realistic 200 mile car comes out by mid/late 2018. That should give me plenty of 1 year old options by the time I switch in mid 2019.

DrPhil, you have summed up better than I did why I simply did not commit to buying an EV this time round.

Yes, it can do what I need of it for 90% of the time, but I ain't going to commit to one until its not so compromised.

The paragraph I highlighted about says it all for me. A trip the length of Ireland, a small country after all, shouldn't involve 8 or 9 stops. The fact that you feel you would need to hire a car once or twice a year is damning at present. Simply not good enough.

As you say, give me a guaranteed 200 mile battery and I'm your man, I'll be in the queue to buy an EV. I know I will buy one some day, its just that 'that day' wasn't quite 2017.

Part of the deal I got the full 3yrs warranty put on it, as if it was a new car again. I think its the 3yr Das Velt Auto or something its called.

Odd as Das Welt Auto is for their used cars.

The fact that you feel you would need to hire a car once or twice a year is damning at present. Simply not good enough.

Once a year. And it doesn't put me off, cost of car hire for a week comes out of the savings account I set up when I got the car. I put £150 a month into it, as that is the amount I used to spend in a month driving diesel, minus what I now spend in extra electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There is the Golf GTE and Audi A3 e-tron (both PHEVs), but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know they existed. Also, I'd imagine the used market here is pretty much non-existent and you would have to go to the UK to get one. VRT would be lower than equivalent diesels, but I don't know how they compare price-wise at that age.

Either way they would only cover some of your commute (EV range is about 40km in the GTE), but utilising EV driving during the slower parts of your journey could easily lead to better fuel economy than a diesel. I'm averaging 3.74 l/100km (76 MPG) with my Prius Plug-in from a lot of varied driving (about 30% EV), although my commute is a lot shorter (about 13 km/day).

Odd as Das Welt Auto is for their used cars.

I bought a used car.

There is the Golf GTE and Audi A3 e-tron (both PHEVs), but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know they existed. Also, I'd imagine the used market here is pretty much non-existent and you would have to go to the UK to get one. VRT would be lower than equivalent diesels, but I don't know how they compare price-wise at that age.

Either way they would only cover some of your commute (EV range is about 40km in the GTE), but utilising EV driving during the slower parts of your journey could easily lead to better fuel economy than a diesel. I'm averaging 3.74 l/100km (76 MPG) with my Prius Plug-in from a lot of varied driving (about 30% EV), although my commute is a lot shorter (about 13 km/day).

I knew about them ok, but the price of them is shocking.
    The VW Golf GTE for same year is approx €9k more than the TDi I bought.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup DrPhilG also perfectly described why EV's aren't there yet for me either.

200 miles at motorway speeds is also the magic number for me. Dublin to Cork without stopping.

I've read trip reports of it taking 5 hours to get to Cork with a 24Kwh Leaf! By comparison my sister does it every weekend in 2.5 hours, hell even Aircoach does it in 3 hours!

Doubling the trip time if you do such long trips regularly is just madness IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

bk wrote: »
    I've read trip reports of it taking 5 hours to get to Cork with a 24Kwh Leaf! By comparison my sister does it every weekend in 2.5 hours, hell even Aircoach does it in 3 hours!

Doubling the trip time if you do such long trips regularly is just madness IMO.

Thats just bs and why people are afraid to move to EV with all the scare stories.

I've done Cork-Dublin in a 24kWh Leaf. It requires two stops. So, it adds about 45mins to the journey. If you are the type of person who stops once anyway on that journey it is really only one extra stop.

Im not saying that's acceptable. We'd all like to drive it without having to stop but the misinformation around EV's is just painful.

Thats just bs and why people are afraid to move to EV with all the scare stories.

I've done Cork-Dublin in a 24kWh Leaf. It requires two stops. So, it adds about 45mins to the journey. If you are the type of person who stops once anyway on that journey it is really only one extra stop.

Im not saying that's acceptable. We'd all like to drive it without having to stop but the misinformation around EV's is just painful.

How many chargers are available where you stop. Have you ever had to wait your turn?

• Advertisement

But thats the issue. People won't accept having to stop. 1 stop would be too many for most drivers, who want to get into the car and not get out til they hit Cork.

Having to stop twice simply won't wash with 95% of the car buying public.

Advertisement