Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tado TRVs

• 19-01-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone have any experience of the Tado TRVs? They look great I think. €200 for the starter kit is a bit saucy. I have a nest environment so its not ideal mix but no real other options.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I use lightwaverf ones, happy enough, but Honeywell have them and Energia and Netalmo have them on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Just purchased the tado radiator thermostat vertical starter kit. Will have it by end of the week. Will be using them in conjunction with the nest thermostat I have. So basically it'll be only semi smart at it won't be able to call for heat.

The main reason I got these was to be able to monitor the room temperature and regulate it. Of course with my existing trvs I've no idea how they are performing. Also they monitor relative humidity so hoping to link that to my dehumidifier in the future via IFTTT.

They will be used in the bedrooms and when I'm not in there they will be off and only the living areas of the house will be heated. No more running up and down the stairs. Lazy right?

I'll post an update as to how they perform again soon.

So Ive had these TRVs for almost a month now and I have to say i would strongly recommend them to anyone looking to control heating in individual rooms where their heating systems were not plumbed for zone control.
    The Tado radiator valves open and close automatically when temperatures are met and very quiet on operating. You can hear a short whirring for a second alright. 
    The app shows you the current temperature, target temperature, RH of the room and shows you if its calling for heat or not. As my heating is controlled by nest the call for heat is unanswered but when the heating is on it'll heat those rooms when the call for he
    at is open on the radiators.
    One down side i have found that the vales tend not to close when its reached the target temperature until it goes over that by 1 degree. Unlike nest which switches off earlier to let the latent heat do the rest of the job.Not a big complaint. Better than having the radiators either completely off or on in the past. I'll definitely pick up more in the future when the money is back in the black.
    As for installation, I didnt have to use any adaptors and the unit easily replaced the old manual TRV.
    Recommended. Now back to philips hue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

Do you need the starter kit in order to use the TRVs?

You need the bridge to control them which is in the Starter kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Moved into a new house a few months ago and just got a Tado TRV starter kit.

Will be interesting to see how this goes, especially in combination with a gas boiler that I still have not fully mastered (it is 1 zone with an outside temperature measurement but I still have not figured out if it also takes an indoor temperature measured to start/stop the system).

embraer170 wrote: »

Will be interesting to see how this goes, especially in combination with a gas boiler that I still have not fully mastered (it is 1 zone with an outside temperature measurement but I still have not figured out if it also takes an indoor temperature measured to start/stop the system).
    embraer170 wrote: »

It must surely take an indoor measurement? In saying that my boiler didnt until I upgraded to nest. Would like to know how you get on with your 2 tados. Might be an idea for you to upgrade to dado smart thermostatto complete the circle and have the entire system automated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Caillte wrote: »
    It must surely take an indoor measurement? In saying that my boiler didnt until I upgraded to nest. Would like to know how you get on with your 2 tados. Might be an idea for you to upgrade to dado smart thermostatto complete the circle and have the entire system automated.

The boiler has a display that shows everything it is measuring and there is no indoor temperature listed. It's odd because it is a modern boiler (2012). I guess the system just assumes that the house is a set number of degrees higher than the outside.

3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

I installed the Tado TRVs this evening. The setup went fine, I think used the right adapters, the TRVs calibrated themselves but they are the only radiators in the house that are stone cold (despite the target temperature being set a lot higher than the current temperatures).

Sounds like you have circulation issue if your radiators are cold. :/

Advertisement