Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Formula Poll

Options
  • 19-01-2017 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Just looking for peoples Opinion's on what is the best Baby Formula?

*FORGOT THE POLL*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is no best baby formula - it's what sits well with your baby.

Breastmilk is obviously the best option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I agree different ones seem to suit different babies best. On each of my kids I've had to try a few different types/brands before settling on what suited them best. Trial and error!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I picked cow and gate in the hospital for top ups cos it sounds more appealing than the others. Very scientific approach. They are just on boob milk now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

fits wrote: »
    it sounds more appealing than the others. Very scientific approach. .

Just found your comment interesting and wondering what exactly you meant by more appealing? And scientific? I never used formula so I don't have any experience with it or how different brands could be different. I just thought that they all had to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'd pick aptamil if you intend to travel. It seems the most readily available outside Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

As in a child would pick the name 'cow and gate' before the others which sound less appealing. the scientific comment was sarcasm. I only gave formula top ups for a few days, it wasn't part of the plan so I didn't do any research into them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

SMA - Substitute Milk Adaptation doesn't sound particularly appealing so I understand your rationale fits! Their twee "Supporting Mums Always" is a good attempt at covering up the less catchy real words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Can you switch between brands? I heard you couldn't but I do t know why, presumably if they contain different amounts of vitamins etc baby won't get the right balance? What if you're like me and baby has a few ounces once or twice a week- can I try all brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Can you switch between brands? I heard you couldn't but I do t know why, presumably if they contain different amounts of vitamins etc baby won't get the right balance? What if you're like me and baby has a few ounces once or twice a week- can I try all brands?
    Why do you want to try them all? Different formulas have different consistencies and suit different babies. Switching around can upset little tummies which is why it's not recommended.

fits wrote: »
    As in a child would pick the name 'cow and gate' before the others which sound less appealing. the scientific comment was sarcasm. I only gave formula top ups for a few days, it wasn't part of the plan so I didn't do any research into them at all.

😂😂 I didn't see the sarcasm at all, god im losing it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Why do you want to try them all? Different formulas have different consistencies and suit different babies. Switching around can upset little tummies which is why it's not recommended.

Because I have no idea what suits. I have tried C&g and I don't know if she spewed from too much milk or it was too fast. Also tried to give her some last night and she wouldn't take it so I don't know if she doesn't like it or just wanted nipple comfort as she had been fed but was still looking to be nursed. I wanted to try another to see if I can tell if one is best. I only give it once or twice a week when I've ran out of pumped milk usually and I'm out or too tired to keep feeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Maybe going off topic a little here but I came across, on fb, recently vegan baby formula! Made with rice I think it was, never had heard of it before

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Because I have no idea what suits. I have tried C&g and I don't know if she spewed from too much milk or it was too fast. Also tried to give her some last night and she wouldn't take it so I don't know if she doesn't like it or just wanted nipple comfort as she had been fed but was still looking to be nursed. I wanted to try another to see if I can tell if one is best. I only give it once or twice a week when I've ran out of pumped milk usually and I'm out or too tired to keep feeding

I was going to recommend SMA I used it with both of mine and never had any issues. But to be honest to me it sounds like you're breastfeeding and topping up with formula, now I have no experience with feeding myself but I know that Cuidiu groups can be really helpful and supportive, giving tips and advice. ? Maybe have a look on face book and see what's local to you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

A lactation consultant told me last time out Hipp Organic was the best to use for top ups (could be bs), but I used it and little one found it fine. Bf'ing going much better this time so haven't needed any formula but if I did I'd probably go hipp again.

Why the need to top up??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Why the need to top up??

Low supply, baby wasn't gaining, was pumping and waiting on tongue tie release. It was only for a week or two.

It's not easy at all and then topping up can make things worse but what can you do really, it's a hard situation! And tongue tie!! Fair play to you :)

Thankfully baba number 2 came out a pro from day one it's been a pure joy so far.

You were probably a bit more relaxed and confident in yourself too and that makes it so much easier! Yeh for boobs ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement