Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop - Advice sought

Options
  • 19-01-2017 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5748 back in Oct 2014 at a cost of €580. Approx 4-6 months ago I started having issues, basically if the screen turns off or the laptop goes into sleep mode I am unable to wake it up again. I have no other option but to force shutdown and restart. It was a minor-ish issue but very annoying, as a work around I changed the power management settings so that the screen/laptop never goes to sleep while the laptop is open.

A couple of days ago I was working away and the screen started flickering, and then it all siezed up. I couldn't do anything. It restarted itself eventually. This happened twice and then yesterday it just shutdown without warning.

So, I have a 26 month old laptop that won't wake up and shuts down randomly, and it's starting to piss me off. Granted I didn't break the bank to buy it, but I don't think I should be having these issues so soon.

I emailed Dell about it, just looking for advice, and their response was as it is out of warranty I would have to call 1850 543 543 for support at a "nominal cost". Which I thought was shocking!

So, what are my options here? Is the SCC an avenue I could go down?

edit: I forgot 2 more issues. 1. The laptop won't start without the power cable plugged in. If I try and do it the fan comes on when I press the power button and then it stops straight away. 2. When torrenting (legal things of course) I get the BSOD, but I take this to be a Windows 10 issue.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Did you get recovery disks with it to do a completely wipe and re-install?

Does this occur in safe mode (when booting tap F8). You can double check for a recovery partition.

It might be an idea to check the event viewer to diagnose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Software is an iffy area that I've not a lot of experience with from a consumer rights point of view. Windows 7?

Personally I'd just rebuild the machine, throw an SSD and some extra RAM in there for good measure. It'll most likely end up much better than when you first bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

@me_irl I don't recall to be honest, if I did though they are gone now. I moved recently and did a total purge of stuff I (thought) I wouldn't need.

I haven't tried safe mode, will try this evening.

theteal wrote: »
    Software is an iffy area that I've not a lot of experience with from a consumer rights point of view. Windows 7?

Personally I'd just rebuild the machine, throw an SSD and some extra RAM in there for good measure. It'll most likely end up much better than when you first bought it.
    It's Windows 10.

I have been meaning to do a fresh re-install of windows and throw in an SSD alright, but have been using it for college and it's my only source of entertainment, so have held off in case I make a balls of it. :) Just had exams so couldn't afford to be without.

I've updated my OP with a couple more issues I had forgotten about!

Windows 10... *shudders* :pac:

Ah, it's just my aversion to using it.

Did a quick search and found this thread on reddit which seems to mirror some of your issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3xrprj/windows_10_dell_inspiron_5748_have_the_issues/

Is there any way to roll back to 8/8.1/7?

EDIT: That's a very odd issue regarding the torrenting. Did you try a different application? I prefer Deluge http://deluge-torrent.org/ As uTorrent became bloated and buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sleep issues are almost always down to the OS, driver updates that aren't 100% compatible with each other etc and not the responsibility of Dell.

Screen flickering etc is probably hardware - but the first thing I'd do is clean the fan out.

If you do need to go to small claims, a judge is unlikely to understand or care about software but you won't get full value for a 26 month old laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pelvis wrote: »
    Hi,
    When torrenting (legal things of course) I get the BSOD, but I take this to be a Windows 10 issue.

Thanks

This is a known issue with some wireless drivers. I had it on Win10 using an Asus wifi card, it was 100% stable but the second I started torreting, BSOD within a few minutes at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

as none of the problems you have mentioned are confirmed as hardware related, im not sure you will see any joy in the SCC at this time.

have you tried entering the BIOS and running the extended suite of diagnostic tests? that would be the 1st thing to try. if the machine comes out as all clear, you can troubleshoot this as a software issue.

But if it fails the diag tests, then would suggest going back to Dell again, armed with the diagnostic failure code.

X

So, quick update. Got home this evening and the laptop kept shutting down on me, so booted up in Safe Mode and all seemed okay.

I decided to do a restore but save my existing files. Took a while but it appears all issues mentioned are resolved, will see how that goes over the next few days....

Thanks all!

Pelvis wrote: »
    So, quick update. Got home this evening and the laptop kept shutting down on me, so booted up in Safe Mode and all seemed okay.

I decided to do a restore but save my existing files. Took a while but it appears all issues mentioned are resolved, will see how that goes over the next few days....

Thanks all!

If the issues start again, it might be an option to revert back to whatever was on it before.

I'm assuming you upgraded from 8 or 8.1 to 10. I think you can still downgrade back to the original operating system by going in to Update & Security and then clicking on Recovery. The option should be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Go to Power options, and set the machine to never fall asleep on battery or power. when you have all your work done do a full recovery. You should prob create recovery discs now because they usually cost around 30 or 40 quid

Also. Take the battery out and unplug. Hold down on the power button for about 45 seconds. Put the battery back in and charge fully. This usually works

Advertisement