Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Van Basten Proposals

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The yellow card should just be reformed and be a sin bin, no need for an 'orange' card. The current system is daft.

Player commits yellow card offence ----> into the bin. The # of minutes could be dependent on the severity of the offence, ranging from 2 or 3 minutes up to 15.

It'd work well with a fixed clock like someone mentioned earlier. The current system with time added on is also daft. Two 30 minute halves and the clock stops whenever the ball goes out of play. The half ends when time runs out AND the ball is put out of play.

Stopping and starting the clock cuts out quick free kicks and throw ins taking away some sort of attacking advantage as the player would have to wait until the ref blows his whistle to restart the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

In all seriousness I think removing the offside rule will never happen. But the introduction of Sin Bins would be a brilliant thing for football in my opinion. Joe Allen took down Rashford yesterday as he was about to enter the box and it was blatant foul and received a yellow card which really is no punishment at all. Ander Herrera was swinging out of Firminho the week before and that got a yellow card but again its not really a punishment.

Sin Binning players would be a great addition to the game as it would add more drama if a team temporarily goes down to 10 or 9 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stopping and starting the clock cuts out quick free kicks and throw ins taking away some sort of attacking advantage as the player would have to wait until the ref blows his whistle to restart the game

I'd ban substitutions after the 85th minute.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'd ban substitutions after the 85th minute.

And what if a team goes behind in the 85th minute and now desperately need a goal and want to throw on a big guy up front or bring on an extra attacker?

The rules really shouldn't be stifling a team trying to make a comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

all teams should play a 12th man. and it should be a supporter of said team. he must be over 40 and overweight. each team will run a lottery and the 12th player will be chosen and have to train with "the lads" for a week leading up to the match. i could see my proposal being very popular with supporters.

this proposal is as realistic as some of the van basten stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cross between that, have a line say 25 yards out that is only in effect in open play a bit like ice hockey no attacker can be goal side of that before the ball unless they are running with it. There you have the linesman at the line for that.

Then any free kick outside the line you have the normal offside rule back to the old one were no matter where it is in the pitch there has to be 2 players between the forward most attacker and the goal line

Yeah hockey is exactly what was going through my head.

You actually had to implement that offside line in your Youth Cert coaching course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like the Sin Bin proposal will go up for a vote in the IFAB meeting.

A 75% majority is needed. It will be expected that FIFA (who have 4 votes) will vote for it. Wales and Northern Ireland generally oppose any change to the game. So its up to the FA and SFA to choose.

Advertisement