Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Want To Become A Self Employed Artist Need Dummies Advice?

• 19-01-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm a single bloke, claiming Jobeeker's Allowance at the moment, no kids, not married. I'm an artist, I do paintings and drawings, like portraits and stuff. Now, I'm not earning anything at the moment, but beside the full time job I use to have, my art us to bring me in about €80 extra a week on top of my job.

I've not been able to find any work for about 18 months, and that stopped me doing art but I really want to get back into it as I was good. The only thing is, going just self employed as an artist on just €80 a week just wouldn't be beneficial. So I need some advice for a dummy like me who doesn't understand all the maths and tax stuff properly how it all works.

I seen on visual arts .ie about earning under €5000 being exempt from tax but not sure what that means exactly, is that yearly? It also talk about being self employed but still claiming Jobseeker's Allowance?

So, I'm trying to make this easier for me to understand as I have learning difficulties with numbers and such, if I applied to become self employed professionally but was still on my Jobseeker's allowance, is their a certain amount I am limited to earn a week on my art? And what about the tax? Is it the higher you earn the more you have to pay on tax, or if you're under a certain amount a year you are exempt? It's all very confusing but I'm really interested, it's just hard at the moment because I can't afford to go off my Jobseeker's Allowance until I find a full time job.

Cheers, I'll appreciate all the help I can get that isn't too complicated for me to understand in terms of percentages and stuff lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

You'll have to be good at drawing.
    Drawing the dole that is. BOom!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MichaelDunne85

Yeah, appreciate the pun dude, but looking for some serious answers. Thanks for making me laugh though!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Couldn't resist.
    I'll actually be speaking to someone later who's studying art at the moment, she may know something as they have a module that covers the practical details of that sort of thing.
    I'll ask them and see if they know anything.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx
    There is a scheme to allow people become self employed while keeping benefits for a while.

Your business plan would have to be approved though - I don't know how easy or hard that would be for an artist.

For the above you would have to register as self employed with revenue and start filing tax returns.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html
    The artists exemption is quite generous.

Yeah cheers for that, any advice helps, it's only cause its not worth doing any art at the moment in case it jeopardizes my jobseekers allowance, so i thought I'd ask before I go ahead and inquire about it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've been reading a few of the articles today, I would probably be better asking in person to get a more clear point from them about all the little details that I wouldn't understand. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I'm a single bloke, claiming Jobeeker's Allowance at the moment, no kids, not married. I'm an artist, I do paintings and drawings, like portraits and stuff. Now, I'm not earning anything at the moment, but beside the full time job I use to have, my art us to bring me in about €80 extra a week on top of my job.

I've not been able to find any work for about 18 months, and that stopped me doing art but I really want to get back into it as I was good. The only thing is, going just self employed as an artist on just €80 a week just wouldn't be beneficial. So I need some advice for a dummy like me who doesn't understand all the maths and tax stuff properly how it all works.

I seen on visual arts .ie about earning under €5000 being exempt from tax but not sure what that means exactly, is that yearly? It also talk about being self employed but still claiming Jobseeker's Allowance?

So, I'm trying to make this easier for me to understand as I have learning difficulties with numbers and such, if I applied to become self employed professionally but was still on my Jobseeker's allowance, is their a certain amount I am limited to earn a week on my art? And what about the tax? Is it the higher you earn the more you have to pay on tax, or if you're under a certain amount a year you are exempt? It's all very confusing but I'm really interested, it's just hard at the moment because I can't afford to go off my Jobseeker's Allowance until I find a full time job.

Cheers, I'll appreciate all the help I can get that isn't too complicated for me to understand in terms of percentages and stuff lol!

this is an interesting read... but it is a small bit dated because it does not cover any online methods, but some very good tips all the same.

http://bit.ly/2j4r3rx

In order to qualify for exemption in Ireland, here is the criteria

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html#section2

also, see if you can get a copy of this book.. it is very useful

https://books.google.ie/books?id=4hKACoL7jD0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=right+brain+business+plan&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=right%20brain%20business%20plan&f=false

Advertisement