Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody using the F2000 (FTTH) Modem Router in Bridging mode

Options
  • 19-01-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

I currently have ADSL  - and use a modem in bridging mode to feed an Asus RT-3200 router. The reasons are 1) Great Coverage 2) Router has VPN installed 3) High Speed internally.

I have just signed up to FTTH - due for install 16 Feb.

How can I continue to use my Asus ?

Has anybody used the F2000 in bridging mode or used a VPN on FTTH ?

Regards

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

yes a collegue of mine put his in to bridge mode, however the router he intended using wasn't capable of 1gb speed, (only getting 150mbp - 200 mpbs) so he resumed using the modem supplied by Eir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

SeanDeng wrote: »
    Hi

I currently have ADSL  - and use a modem in bridging mode to feed an Asus RT-3200 router. The reasons are 1) Great Coverage 2) Router has VPN installed 3) High Speed internally.

Regards

Sean
    Hi SeanDeng,

Thanks for getting in touch. For the best support on this, I would recommend contacting the technical team directly on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 & they can assist as best on this. 

Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi

Regards

Sean
    Have you anything further on your experiences with this?
    I will soon be faced with a similar issue and would like an idea of how frustrated i am likely to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SeanDeng

Hi

Yes I got the bridging working with out issue. Seeing great wireless speed ~500MB on last check with ipad.

I did have issues with IPTV. After much experimentation is did also get IPTV working ...but...

The procedure below show how to get the F2000 into bridging mode and how to get the Asus set up.

The initial settings I had was under "Auto IP"......and with this I had the main Eir vision box working, but not the multi room boxes - which I dont understand.

But last night I was looking at some other settings on my Asus and noticed that is is now PPPOE ?....I dont know what happened - though I do have teenagers who may have been messing around with it as they regularly access the Asus s/w to turn  / off the VPN.
    I checked the Main Eir Box and it still works and still no Multi room boxes.

Here is the procedure I used: (BTW I am using AsusMerlin)
    1) Bridge the Eir router (F2000). Under the "Internet settings" tab, find your connection type (pic 1). To find your connection type click on each of ADSL, VDSL, GE-WAN, UMTS. 

One will show as Connection status as "connected"
    2) Under Basic information -> Connection Type -> click down arrow and select "Bridged"
    3) Click "Save". You get a popup when you click “Save” indicating that the modems DHCP, Firewall & WLAN, will also be switched off. Which is OK.
    4) Connect the Asus to the F2000 by connecting a suitable network cable from a LAN port on the F2000 to the WAN port on the Asus.
    5) Log in to the Asus using 192.168.1.1, input user name and password.
    6) Run the Internet Auto detect wizard. 
    7) Select Auto IP and input your EIR user name and password. and that should be it for setting up incoming broadband.
    8) Set up your Wireless
    9) Disconnect your Eir Vision boxes from the Eir router (F2000), either disconnect from the Router or from the Eir Home plug.
    10) Connect your ethernet cable from LAN 1 on the Asus to the Master Eir home plug. This should pass the IPTV signal to each / all Eir Vision boxes.
    11) Connect each of your Eir Vision Boxes to the respective Home Plug
    12) For Eir Vision Asus set up: On the Asus click on "LAN" tab on the left. Then pick the the "IPTV" Tab from the menu across the Top (see pic 2)
    13) Under "Special Applications" -> "Use DHCP routes" ..from the drop down pick "Microsoft"
    14) from the drop-down "Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) " - Pick "Enable"
    15) From the drop-down "Enable efficient Multicast forwarding ( IGMP Snooping) - Pick "enable"
    And that is it.

Let me know how you get on.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Hi

Yes I got the bridging working with out issue. Seeing great wireless speed ~500MB on last check with ipad.

I did have issues with IPTV. After much experimentation is did also get IPTV working ...but...

The procedure below show how to get the F2000 into bridging mode and how to get the Asus set up.

The initial settings I had was under "Auto IP"......and with this I had the main Eir vision box working, but not the multi room boxes - which I dont understand.

But last night I was looking at some other settings on my Asus and noticed that is is now PPPOE ?....I dont know what happened - though I do have teenagers who may have been messing around with it as they regularly access the Asus s/w to turn  / off the VPN.

1) Bridge the Eir router (F2000). Under the "Internet settings" tab, find your connection type (pic 1). To find your connection type click on each of ADSL, VDSL, GE-WAN, UMTS. 

2) Under Basic information -> Connection Type -> click down arrow and select "Bridged"
    3) Click "Save". You get a popup when you click “Save” indicating that the modems DHCP, Firewall & WLAN, will also be switched off. Which is OK.
    4) Connect the Asus to the F2000 by connecting a suitable network cable from a LAN port on the F2000 to the WAN port on the Asus.
    7) Select Auto IP and input your EIR user name and password. and that should be it for setting up incoming broadband.
    8) Set up your Wireless
    9) Disconnect your Eir Vision boxes from the Eir router (F2000), either disconnect from the Router or from the Eir Home plug.
    10) Connect your ethernet cable from LAN 1 on the Asus to the Master Eir home plug. This should pass the IPTV signal to each / all Eir Vision boxes.
    12) For Eir Vision Asus set up: On the Asus click on "LAN" tab on the left. Then pick the the "IPTV" Tab from the menu across the Top (see pic 2)
    13) Under "Special Applications" -> "Use DHCP routes" ..from the drop down pick "Microsoft"
    15) From the drop-down "Enable efficient Multicast forwarding ( IGMP Snooping) - Pick "enable"
    And that is it.

Sean
    Sean,

In bridging mode do the LAN ports on the F2000 still work or would I need to connect the ethernet cables into the new router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Shambolic

gerryk wrote: »
    I will soon be faced with a similar issue and would like an idea of how frustrated i am likely to be.

Hi Gerry

I was reading some previous posts that you made.
    I have just got connected to FTTH with Eir. I have the F2000 modem router. 300Mbs speeds.
    The wired speeds are fantastic but the wireless is not satisfactory at all (60Mbs near router diwb to 20Mbs). I was thinking of buying an ASUS router like yours or similiar and bridging from modem over to the router. Did you ever achieve this?

What kind of wireless speeds are you getting?
    Is there much of a drop off in speed, the further away you get from router?
    Do you have phone line with Eir and if so, is this connected off your F2000 modem as normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can impart.
    Shay

Caillte wrote: »
    Sean,

In bridging mode do the LAN ports on the F2000 still work or would I need to connect the ethernet cables into the new router?
    You need to use the new router. The only Ethernet cable that should go to the F2000 is the one going to the WAN port on your router.

I used the F2000 in bridge mode for about 6 months and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Shambolic wrote: »
    gerryk wrote: »

Hi Gerry

I was reading some previous posts that you made.
    I have just got connected to FTTH with Eir. I have the F2000 modem router. 300Mbs speeds.
    The wired speeds are fantastic but the wireless is not satisfactory at all (60Mbs near router diwb to 20Mbs). I was thinking of buying an ASUS router like yours or similiar and bridging from modem over to the router. Did you ever achieve this?

What kind of wireless speeds are you getting?
    Is there much of a drop off in speed, the further away you get from router?
    Do you have phone line with Eir and if so, is this connected off your F2000 modem as normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can impart.
    Shay
    Hi... 
    Yes, I do have my F2000 bridged. My set-up is as follows:

Eir F2000 configured in bridging mode -> TP-Link TL-WDR3600 running OpenWRT with WAN port configured as DHCP client.
    This then connects to a gigabit switch through the SamKnows whitebox (broadband monitoring service). The gigabit switch connects to 2 more GB switches, one upstairs and one downstairs, with each having a Meraki MR12 Access Point, again running OpenWRT, and capable of full 802.11n data-rates.

I don't get much drop-off, because the access points are quite directional, so don't waste RF warming up the plaster in my walls. I get decent speeds on devices capable of the full N spec. Certainly up to 100Mb/s at times. Right now, I am the far end of the house from the access point, and through 2 concrete walls I am getting >39Mb/s d/l

6521942369.png

I do have a phone with Eir... this goes directly to a landline, not into the roiuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wortmann

Hi

8) Set up your Wireless
    And that is it.

Sean
    hi, I just got fibre installed. great 150mb speed. I want to use the Zyxel f2000 modem in bridge mode. Got one Zygel as router installed. Got Ip over power boxes to Apple extreme and IPTV and all works well. Now I like to install the extra Zyxel F2000 in my office. Got Ip over power connected to the modem. got into the setup of it but ALL the  Internet settings of ADSL, VDSL, GE and UMTS are all disconnected. So when I try to change any of them to Bridge mode I get an error message stating: The Current WAN is not connected, please choose the connected WAN.... . Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

wortmann wrote: »
    Hi

8) Set up your Wireless
    And that is it.

Sean
    hi, I just got fibre installed. great 150mb speed. I want to use the Zyxel f2000 modem in bridge mode. Got one Zygel as router installed. Got Ip over power boxes to Apple extreme and IPTV and all works well. Now I like to install the extra Zyxel F2000 in my office. Got Ip over power connected to the modem. got into the setup of it but ALL the  Internet settings of ADSL, VDSL, GE and UMTS are all disconnected. So when I try to change any of them to Bridge mode I get an error message stating: The Current WAN is not connected, please choose the connected WAN.... . Any help?
    Hi wortmann,

Glad to hear you're happy with your broadband speeds :)

If you give our technical support team a call on 1890260260 or free phone 1901, they should be able to help you out with the issue you're having with your modem.

- Adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement