Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot order in BIOS ?

Options
  • 19-01-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Time to upgrade my Samsung N 130 Netbook from XP to W7 via USB. However before I generate a bootable OS, I am confused by the boot options, Whats the difference between USB HDD & USB Key? And whats with the "N/A" ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think USB HDD and USB KEY would relate to the format of the filesystem, I'm unsure of any other way they might be different.

N/A seems to mean there's no attached device, so you currently only have your old hard drive attached, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭mrtom

I think USB HDD and USB KEY would relate to the format of the filesystem, I'm unsure of any other way they might be different.

N/A seems to mean there's no attached device, so you currently only have your old hard drive attached, correct?
    Correct,
    After connecting both USB HDD & USB stick, BIOS detects both and places the stick as 1 & external drive as 7 on current configuration. . File system in XP NTFS.
    thanks for accurate info !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have a couple of desktop boards that will boot from a SSD in a USB enclosure, but not from a USB stick. I don't know how it tells the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

a usb Key is a solid state drive , as opposed to a usb external drive which is usually sata type spinning disk.
    na =not avaidable , or device not detected .
    i see no reason to put in 2 devices in to 2 usb ports ,just plug in 1 device
    with windows os install data on it.
    i have never found any pc that will not boot from usb,IF theres a usb boot device in the bios boot menu ,
    put USB device = 1ST boot device ,or device 0 in the bios boot menu.
    Even the bios menu may show the device info.
    eg usa drive WD500GIG OR USB 4gig drive

riclad wrote: »
    a usb Key is a solid state drive , as opposed to a usb external drive which is usually sata type spinning disk.
    na =not avaidable , or device not detected .
    i see no reason to put in 2 devices in to 2 usb ports ,just plug in 1 device
    with windows os install data on it.
    i have never found any pc that will not boot from usb,IF theres a usb boot device in the bios boot menu ,
    put USB device = 1ST boot device ,or device 0 in the bios boot menu.
    Even the bios menu may show the device info.
    eg usa drive WD500GIG OR USB 4gig drive

I connected 2 devices, one USB stick & an external (Intenso) to check for detection. Both detected as USB HDD. USB Key entry reads N/A. Interesting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What version Bios are you using? Can you update it?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-N130-KA01UK

FanadMan wrote: »
    What version Bios are you using? Can you update it?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-N130-KA01UK

Thanks for the link FandaMan:
    Bios reads 00CM,
    MICOM 00CM (whatever that means)
    Unsure whether to attempt available W7 Bios (WIN_N130_00VO) update prior to installing W7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

mrtom wrote: »
    Thanks for the link FandaMan:
    Bios reads 00CM,
    MICOM 00CM (whatever that means)
    Unsure whether to attempt available W7 Bios (WIN_N130_00VO) update prior to installing W7.

You could try but it may not work (Windows 7, 2.36 MB, exe, MULTI LANGUAGE Version : 00VO)

Maybe try one of the older ones first.

Advertisement