Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook swimming in coffee

Options
  • 19-01-2017 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Did a quick search and there are similar threads but they don't answer what I'm looking for.

Partner spilled half a cup of coffee all over her MacBook keyboard and speakers this morning. I believe it was swimming in coffee.

She didn't turn it off straight away (I know I know).

Worked absolutely fine for a a few hours and then the sound stopped working, internal spellers and 3.5mm.

Restarted it and it made the usual startup sound but still no sound.

I'll now leave it off in the hot (Luke warm) press for the next few days upside down. The battery cannot be removed.

My question is, why would the startup sound still work but not sound from music / YouTube etc?

Also any advice on further steps would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hi Guys,

Did a quick search and there are similar threads but they don't answer what I'm looking for.

Partner spilled half a cup of coffee all over her MacBook keyboard and speakers this morning. I believe it was swimming in coffee.

She didn't turn it off straight away (I know I know).

Worked absolutely fine for a a few hours and then the sound stopped working, internal spellers and 3.5mm.

Restarted it and it made the usual startup sound but still no sound.

I'll now leave it off in the hot (Luke warm) press for the next few days upside down. The battery cannot be removed.

My question is, why would the startup sound still work but not sound from music / YouTube etc?

Also any advice on further steps would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Not a lot to be honest sounds like the sound cards gone so the best thing to do is dry it out as best you can. I assume you don't have apple care. Maybe a hair dryer it would help a bit faster. If you can open it up it might let you see what damage is done and how you can dry it out. I like the fact that electricity plus liquid didn't apply any alarm bells in her head, That status update to important.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd wrap it in a towel and put it in the hot press for 48 hours and then see if it turns on. Leaving it on after the spillage was a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

JamboMac wrote: »
    Not a lot to be honest sounds like the sound cards gone so the best thing to do is dry it out as best you can. I assume you don't have apple care. Maybe a hair dryer it would help a bit faster. If you can open it up it might let you see what damage is done and how you can dry it out. I like the fact that electricity plus liquid didn't apply any alarm bells in her head, That status update to important.

She uses it for her POS system in work, so kind of vital. Thanks anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 themagiconion

I don't think it is a good idea to put that laptop in a hot place as the battery could explode. Check to see what temperature the battery is capable of handling, but I would think it is bad practice to leave it for 48 hours in a hot press or other, too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

She uses it for her POS system in work, so kind of vital. Thanks anyway.

Have you backed it up. Honestly, If it's that amount spilled i'd be surprised that it's even turning on at the moment. They don't don't really come back from that sort of damage. I'd be getting any info off it while it was still working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I spilt a mug of tea on my MacBook Pro and nearly cried. It wouldn't work so I put it in its box and left it. Bought a replacement. Sister suggested a few months later that we sell damaged one for parts. Plugged it in and it started up! Won't work without being plugged in, but perfect otherwise!

Have you backed it up. Honestly, If it's that amount spilled i'd be surprised that it's even turning on at the moment. They don't don't really come back from that sort of damage. I'd be getting any info off it while it was still working.

Yeah fully backed up so not too concerned about that. Fingers crossed we got lucky and it's just this sound concern. No idea why the startup "bong" would still play but other sound wouldn't.

After one hour upside down there is coffee seeping out of it...

Another concern if laptop is left to dry normally over time would be that the keyboard buttons would be very tight and still sticky, but if you could change the keyboard on that system it would remove that sticky pad problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the keyboard is super glued in as well though.

Just don't put it near any heat unless you can find a way to remove the Li-ion battery. Li-ion batteries can very easily explode, so I'd warn against putting it near any heat source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I don't think it is a good idea to put that laptop in a hot place as the battery could explode. Check to see what temperature the battery is capable of handling, but I would think it is bad practice to leave it for 48 hours in a hot press or other, too dangerous.

Daft. A hot press will be absolutely fine. It's hardly sauna level temperatures.

• Advertisement

Daft. A hot press will be absolutely fine. It's hardly sauna level temperatures.

I don't think you fully understand the danger of doing this. I have already explained how dangerous such a thing could be. There is a safety limit in regards to the temperature of the battery, if the temperature is higher than its recommended temp then the battery could explode. It's there for a reason to warn you not to allow the battery to go over this.

It's less than 30 degrees, MacBook fine up to 35+ I believe when operating.

It's less than 30 degrees, MacBook fine up to 35+ I believe when operating.

Is their not a way to open up your mac book if warranty is gone and coffee is seeping out the only true way to know when its fully dry is by opening it. You can then have hair drier set on cold air which will help it dry better, a hot press is just a hit and hope, your best opening it you can't do more damage.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Is their not a way to open up your mac book if warranty is gone and coffee is seeping out the only true way to know when its fully dry is by opening it. You can then have hair drier set on cold air which will help it dry better, a hot press is just a hit and hope, your best opening it you can't do more damage.

I'd like to but I don't have the tools for it, they are torx screws and there are no removable parts anyway. Going to put it in a small room tomorrow with a dehumidifier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

I don't think you fully understand the danger of doing this. I have already explained how dangerous such a thing could be. There is a safety limit in regards to the temperature of the battery, if the temperature is higher than its recommended temp then the battery could explode. It's there for a reason to warn you not to allow the battery to go over this.

FFS. Do you even know what a 'hot press' is? The total overreaction suggests you don't.

Apple's MBP recommended storage upper temperature is 45 deg C, for long term storage.

It will SAFELY handle ANY Irish 'Hot press' for a couple of days.

I don't think you fully understand the concept of what a hot press is or what temperatures they tend to be. Nobody is suggesting he puts the thing in an oven ffs.

I see that there is a lot of anger on this thread, I was simply explaining to you the safety when it comes to Li-ion batteries and that it would still be a safety concern to wrap the laptop in a towel and stick it in a hot press for a long period of time.

I go by the book when it comes to electrical safety, and I know quite well how unstable Li-ion batteries can be with heat.

Have a nice day.

I see that there is a lot of anger on this thread, I was simply explaining to you the safety when it comes to Li-ion batteries and that it would still be a safety concern to wrap the laptop in a towel and stick it in a hot press for a long period of time.

I go by the book when it comes to electrical safety, and I know quite well how unstable Li-ion batteries can be with heat.

Have a nice day.

Anger? No anger, just disbelief at your scaremongering reply and tut-tutting.

Would you consider it dangerous to put a Macbook Pro in a padded laptop case and take it to the south of France in July?

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're writing about. Li-Po batteries are somewhat 'unsafe' when subjected to a hot environment. Li-Ion are, at this stage, stable and safe. Especially so when used and stored in accordance with manufacturers specifications.

So, let's stop the hand wringing and get back to reality.

OP, throw a couple of kgs of uncooked rice in a bin liner, place the laptop in a pillowcase/towel on top of the rice. Tied a knot in the bin liner and put it in the hot press (airing cupboard) or similar warm space. Leave for 24-48 hours, cross your fingers and hope the damage is limited to the soundcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

OP, throw a couple of kgs of uncooked rice in a bin liner, place the laptop in a pillowcase/towel on top of the rice. Tied a knot in the bin liner and put it in the hot press (airing cupboard) or similar warm space. Leave for 24-48 hours, cross your fingers and hope the damage is limited to the soundcard.

I thought the rice thing was a myth?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/14/9326035/can-rice-actually-save-your-wet-phone

(I know that article is regarding a phone)
    So, does the trick work? In 2014, Gazelle.com ran a semi-formal test that indicated it didn’t. Of the seven household desiccants they tested, uncooked rice was the least absorbent, behind cat litter, couscous, oatmeal, and instant rice. Unless you’re willing to spend serious money, leaving your phone on a shelf to air dry, they suggested, may be your best option.

I'd say just give it time to dry out and cross your fingers that it works afterwards.

Did it not occur to some of you that liquid has entered the system and motherboard. Even at this stage there is possibility for a short circuit to the battery of which could cause a fire. If people want to risk it by wrapping it in a towel and putting it for a long period of time in a hot press then go ahead.

I just outlined the safety concerns as to actually doing this. It is not recommended, but by all means skip the safety measures and work away.

The manufacturers do not tell you that it is safe to do the above.

Anyway I hope your laptop comes back to life after the drying period.

• Advertisement

There is ZERO safety risk of trying to dry out a laptop in a hot press. It may not work, but it will not spontaneously combust and to suggest otherwise is idiotic.

There is ZERO safety risk of trying to dry out a laptop in a hot press. It may not work, but it will not spontaneously combust and to suggest otherwise is idiotic.

It's not exactly spontaneus, their's still a power source connected and liquid in the circuitry and where exactly are the connectors for the battery to the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Put it in a mildly warm room and put in a paper bag full of uncooked rice (the rice will act like silica gel and draw moisture)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Don't put it in a hot press or a with rice they are both stupid ideas. If you're just trying to do it yourself the smallest space you can get it into with a dehumidifier is the best option.

When coffee dries it will leave a residue and this is enough to cause a short circuit when you try to turn it back on. If you want the highest chance or it working again get somebody professional to clean the motherboard with alcohol, or even better an alcohol bath before you try to turn it on, and the sooner this is done the better chance is has of survival.

While a hot press is better than just leaving it on a counter, it isn't much better, if you want to ensure some electronics are dry in the hot press, you need to wait at least two weeks but ideally a month before it will be dry. I regularly open phones that have been in the hot press for a few days then left in a drawer for a few months and they are still soaked inside.

Rice absorbs liquids that it is placed in but it doesn't absorb water from the air like silica gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I had the exact same thing happen to my MacBook. Would not connect to wifi etc after the spill. Left it in to mactivate and they were able to remove effected parts, they were all salvageable so the repairs were very reasonable, they said if I have and problems in relation to this they would deduct what I paid already from any further work required. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

+1 for this.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Don't put it in a hot press or a with rice they are both stupid ideas. If you're just trying to do it yourself the smallest space you can get it into with a dehumidifier is the best option.

When coffee dries it will leave a residue and this is enough to cause a short circuit when you try to turn it back on. If you want the highest chance or it working again get somebody professional to clean the motherboard with alcohol, or even better an alcohol bath before you try to turn it on, and the sooner this is done the better chance is has of survival.

While a hot press is better than just leaving it on a counter, it isn't much better, if you want to ensure some electronics are dry in the hot press, you need to wait at least two weeks but ideally a month before it will be dry. I regularly open phones that have been in the hot press for a few days then left in a drawer for a few months and they are still soaked inside.

Rice absorbs liquids that it is placed in but it doesn't absorb water from the air like silica gel.

The coffee will form a residue that will cause corrosion on the logic board. It needs to be dismantled and cleaned with IPA ASAP. The keyboard will have taken the brunt of it but you might be lucky if you act quickly. I managed to clean up a MacBook Air that had Coke spilled on it the previous day.

Drying the machine in a warm place will evaporate the water in the coffee but will leave a difficult to remove residue, especially if it gets under a component.

Ken

Thanks for all the input.

Keys are VERY sticky from the spill, more so to upper right hand side near power button.

GarIT wrote: »

When coffee dries it will leave a residue and this is enough to cause a short circuit when you try to turn it back on.

Stupid ideas? :eek:

Good intentions, that's all.

So, drying it out is a bad idea, but you give advice on how to dry it out anyway? :p

Fair enough though. It's stuffed now anyway, so it probably doesn't really matter what the OP does, bar taking it to a repair centre.

It's now been 54 hours or so since this happened.

It's been in the hot press about 50 hours.

Couldn't wait any longer to find out how bad things were, booted it up, keys feel like they are glued, however everything seems to be working fine and the sound is once again working.

Think we dodged a bombshell...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dust will stick to the coffee and clog the vents.

I think you want to ignore that you still have a huge problem.

Advertisement