Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance: Naming Spanish Licence holder on my policy

Options
  • 19-01-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am trying to renew my car insurance policy through a broker.
    I have a Spanish girl coming to live with us for at least 6 months but possibly more.

I was told that because she is 'non resident', RSA (the underwriters)will not cover her.
    I wish to know is this legal? Is it not discriminatory to not cover her? She holds a Full European Drivers Licence for 9 years and is over 25 years of age and accident free.
    Surely its discriminating against her for not being Irish?
    When I enquired about the ‘Permanent Residency’ part, the girl on the phone said because she hasn’t been a resident for 3 years RSA will not cover her.

I ve contract the Irish Federation- but haven't had a response yet.

Thank you for your responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Insurance companies can choose not to insure someone if they so wish.. now you can push the matter, and eventually you will get a quote, but it will be an astronomical figure.

Save your breath, and just check for quotes with other companies/brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I haven't had any problems with Aviva sub cos or Quinn with getting American and Australian licence holders included, albeit for a shorter period. Given the number of nannies and au pairs around, I would be surprised if this was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

Corn market, advised the underwriters will cover her for a month as a temporary named driver but not any longer.

I rang Axa and asked about open driving and they said that being 25+, Full European licence and must be Permanent resident!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'll be loaded to the hilt. A friend ultimately had to change her licence to an Irish one as insurers outright refused to insure her with the Spanish one. She's resident mind you but it should be illegal to load as EU nationals have the right to retain their licence, my brother for example has no loading for holding an Irish one in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

pa990 wrote: »
    Insurance companies can choose not to insure someone if they so wish.. now you can push the matter, and eventually you will get a quote, but it will be an astronomical figure.

Save your breath, and just check for quotes with other companies/brokers.

There is no legal obligation on an insurer to add on a named driver.

They can be compelled to quote for a policy holder by the DCC but that does not extend to named drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement