Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Woodworm in Old Furniture

Options
  • 19-01-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭

I've an old farmhouse kitchen dresser that I'm tidying up..
    Its got a bit of woodworm in a few places but structurally its perfect.. The only repair needed is to replace two drawer bottoms..

It has been painted a few times in its life and when the work is done I plan to repaint..

Do I need to strip off paint down to the bare wood to apply the woodworm treatment?? Most (90%) of the woodworm is underneath or inside where its not painted so I'm painting the treatment onto that bare wood, but there are areas which were painted that need treatment..

I'm using this product by Cuprinol

http://www.cuprinol.ie/products/5_star_complete_wood_treatment_(fp).jsp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will have to strip off any paint in suspect areas to expose any boreholes. Have a look for 'frass' - the fine sawdust that the larvae makes. If you don't see any they are probably not active. The consensus seems to be that they can't survive in dry wood anyway and even if the larvae hatch out they just die off in a centrally heated house.
    I once exposed a larva in the end of his tunnel while cutting some pine - a little white pinhead sized beggar. That piece went into the fire.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks.
    It's definitely active woodworm.

I've emailed someone in the restoration trade and they said that I'm on the right track.
    While there may be some emergence there should be no further infestation and the cycle will be broken.

Indeed they said that in a warm dry house they can't survive so should be fine.

Advertisement