Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD Gone Offline

Options
  • 19-01-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm so bloody pissed off.

Basically was working in MS Word while GOG copied The Witcher 3 files from one drive to the now defunct SSD. Word tried to autosave my document and froze, locked everything down. Couldn't close word, couldn't close GOG, Ctrl-Atl-Delete brought me to a blank screen, Esc brought me back to the frozen Windows.

I managed to get into the task manager, force closed Word, GOG and Chrome (took about 5 minutes for them to close) and then restarted Explorer.exe.

No luck, had to hard reset. A very long boot time later, my drive that GOG was copying the file to is now not showing up in Windows Explorer, or Disk Management. When I enter into disk management, I get this screen

15s1pnc.png

and clicking OK on either option gives me an error

"The System Cannot Find The File Specified"

And that's as much as I can do.

Lost the bloody files I was working on, and I can't play The Witcher.

Anyways, live booting into GParted now so I'll see what it says, I presume I'll have to reformat the drive, anyone managed to get around similar without reformatting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gparted wouldn't even find the drive, and Samsung Magician (It's a sammy drive) basically gave me a blank screen, but after disconnecting it physically, and rebooting several times it's worked so I'm not complaining.

Stupid MS Word... At least I'm not down an SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RMA it, sounds like a dodgy controller that could die again later.

Happened again a few hours later.

RAM would hardly do this?

It's only happened twice, both times saving in MS Word

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RMA not RAM. "return merchandise authorization" AKA return it for a replacement.

I know the difference, but would dying ram have effects like would you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

next time its up I'd overwrite it then return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

I know the difference, but would dying ram have effects like would you know?

Due to how computers work, usually a number of components could be to blame for any given issue. This is one reason we do troubleshooting. You could try connecting the drive to another PC and running Samsung Magician on it if you wish. But since the problem can be replicated, even after restarts and occurs when writing to the SSD, that is where the issue probably is.

Note that if you send it back, your data is gone so try recover anything you need first. Also, read the warranty terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Boot into bios and run SMART disk checks, see what it says.

I think it's just over 12 months old.

Don't have another PC to test it with, will run a few tests and a memtest later and see what I get.

Cheers lads, hopefully won't have to RMA but I can survive on mechanical drives for a while

Advertisement