Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which is the cheapest pre-pay money card in Ireland in 2017?

• 19-01-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    I did have an o2money card and it was OK.Then they doubled the top-up fee and then 3 took over and it became even more expensive to have so i asked them to terminate it.
    I have had a problem with Amazon recently and was thinking of getting a pre-pay card again,as no company would be abel to take more than was on it,but it seems what's available work out quite expensive.
    I was wondering which one's other people have in 2017,are they happy with them and how expensive they are.I am on a VERY low income!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ultra violet 5

if it's for online poker a paysafe card

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Moved to the Banking forum for more replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 crystal hedgehog

It's just for online shopping e.g.Ebay.

OK thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Revolut. See this thread.

• Advertisement

Thanks,I will study the site when I can.Do you know if the card can be topped up at Payzones and the like? I don't have a smartphone so the app is no use to me and I was considering a pre-pay card so as not to have to put money in my partner's bank account anymore when I want shop online.I only have a credit union account and will never have a bank account again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you don't have a smart phone than your choices are very limited these days and what is out there is extremely costly.

The only other offer beside Three's card is Swirlcard which you can load at payzone but the charges are bad. You pay loading fee's (2.99/3.99) and also 2.95% (min 0.75€ max 2.95€) every time you use the card. You can get around the load fee if you make a SEPA transfer from your credit union.

If you just want a card for online shopping and your credit union offers SEPA transfers than have a look at mycard2go (from german wirecard bank) which offers a free virtual visa card that you can load via SPEA bank transfer. They also offer a plastic card for 9.95€. Loading is 1€ and if you shop at Amazon in £, there is no currency conversion fee , you get Visa rates, which can save you some money. However you can only load up to 100€ a month onto it as you can't do an upgrade to a higher limit unless you travel to Germany. But if you have limited funds, this might be the best option.

Beside that some shopping centers are offering prepaid mastercard's which you can use anywhere not only the shopping center. But I'm not sure of those offers, you would need to inquire at the respective service desks or websites to have a look. Those however are limited as you can't withdraw funds that you don't use easy and also they might have fee's if you don't spend the money in time etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Beside that some shopping centers are offering prepaid mastercard's which you can use anywhere not only the shopping center. But I'm not sure of those offers, you would need to inquire at the respective service desks or websites to have a look. Those however are limited as you can't withdraw funds that you don't use easy and also they might have fee's if you don't spend the money in time etc.

I'm 99% certain the shopping centre cards (Multi Centre Gift Cards etc) can't be used online, as there is no address attached to them.

Advertisement