Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmaceutical or forensics

Options
  • 19-01-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm a leaving cert student and I want to do pharma or forensics but today I heard that pharma is really hard, I'm not an a student i just about pass chemistry and physics. The Q's I want to ask is did anyone do pharma or forensics in Dublin anywhere and how is the course is it hard and what are the exams like? Class times and job opportunities? And which one would yous go for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Kacperxo wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a leaving cert student and I want to do pharma or forensics but today I heard that pharma is really hard, I'm not an a student i just about pass chemistry and physics. The Q's I want to ask is did anyone do pharma or forensics in Dublin anywhere and how is the course is it hard and what are the exams like? Class times and job opportunities? And which one would yous go for?

Being perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't go for a third level degree in science if you're only passing LC science subjects.. if you're sure it's science you like and want to do, I'd try a PLC first. To answer your question, yes, science degree courses are quite difficult but that would apply for both pharmaceutical and forensic courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Kacperxo wrote: »

Are there even forensics jobs in Ireland?

My understanding was there's plenty of courses after CSI and the like made it popular, but hardly any jobs.

Actually found this on the FSI website. The bit in bold really answers your question:
    For the post of Analyst, the minimum academic qualification is a level 7 qualification in an appropriate Science subject. For the post of Scientist, the minimum academic qualification is an honours degree (level 8), normally in chemistry, analytical science or an appropriate biological subject such as biochemistry, biology or molecular biology, or an equivalent qualification.

A formal qualification in forensic science is not required as all new staff members will be fully trained on the job.
    http://www.forensicscience.ie/careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Sorry OP, if you are barely passing LC subjects now, I'd give it a pass. It gets tougher in college and some of the maths for chemistry at third level is something else. That's why I chose Law :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Elemonator wrote: »
    Sorry OP, if you are barely passing LC subjects now, I'd give it a pass. It gets tougher in college and some of the maths for chemistry at third level is something else. That's why I chose Law :D

Not entirely true. First year science is basically 6th year science again plus a bit more. You've plenty of time to get good at science before the LC and then first year shouldn't be too bad.

First year is usually a common course, where you do a bit of everything without getting too deep. this means you'll get the option to pursue whichever branch appeals to you most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

eeguy wrote: »
    Not entirely true. First year science is basically 6th year science again plus a bit more. You've plenty of time to get good at science before the LC and then first year shouldn't be too bad.

First year is usually a common course, where you do a bit of everything without getting too deep. this means you'll get the option to pursue whichever branch appeals to you most.

I was just basing my opinion on the one's of my friends. I know of a few doing Pharmaceutical and Chemical Science in DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Kacperxo

Elemonator wrote: »

I haven't really put my head down, for Christmas I got 340 points so I guess it's not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kacperxo

user53 wrote: »
    Being perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't go for a third level degree in science if you're only passing LC science subjects.. if you're sure it's science you like and want to do, I'd try a PLC first. To answer your question, yes, science degree courses are quite difficult but that would apply for both pharmaceutical and forensic courses.
    I was thinking the same it's not like I'm stupid it's just I haven't really put my head down maths is not a problem as I get c and b chemistry wouldn't be bad if I put my head down I'm not sayin I'd get 80 and above

Advertisement