Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance cancelled after 10 months

Options
  • 19-01-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine took out an insurance policy about 10 months ago with aviva on a 01 fiesta, it is his first year driving.

He got a phone call from aviva today stating the policy will be cancelled and was giving 10 days notice due to the age of the car.

Will he earn the 1 years no claim bonus ?

Also, is this common practice or even legal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As far as I know they can't do that, you took the policy out for a year, they underwrote it for a year, that's what the original quote was based on. Are you sure they havn't just said they are refusing renewal because of the age of the car?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They can't just decide to cancel. They're under contract.

There must be some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

As far as I know they can't do that, you took the policy out for a year, they underwrote it for a year, that's what the original quote was based on. Are you sure they havn't just said they are refusing renewal because of the age of the car?

No definitely over 2 months left on the policy apparently.

He did ask could they just keep if going till the end of the policy so he can go about getting a new car but they wouldn't budge.

He also done 12 lessons with aviva driving school and got the 6 months free cover on his dads car before taking out his own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't know how he insured the car with them originally, they have been refusing cars over 12 or may have been 10 years for a couple of years now. Was the car already insured with them on his policy before this?

They can't just decide to cancel. They're under contract.

There must be some other reason.

That's what I said, but I've asked him twice now and that's the story!

• Advertisement

I don't know how he insured the car with them originally, they have been refusing cars over 12 or may have been 10 years for a couple of years now. Was the car already insured with them on his policy before this?

Nope he only only bought the car 12 months ago.

He avoided fronting the policy so paid heavily for the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tell him to get on to the insurance ombudsman. I would have thought the only reason they could cancel would be for not disclosing info or something?

Hang on.....

Just got more information, so his dad actually took out the policy for him and added him as a named driver.

He used his NCB on his own policy and took out the second policy without an NCB.

Both policies were with aviva.

Fronting at its best.... no leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cork981 wrote: »
    Hang on.....

Just got more information, so his dad actually took out the policy for him and added him as a named driver.

He used his NCB on his own policy and took out the second policy without an NCB.

And even worse they both now have to declare that they've had a policy cancelled so insurance is going to be even more difficult and expensive for both.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hang on.....

Told you so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Nope he only only bought the car 12 months ago.

He avoided fronting the policy so paid heavily for the policy.

What does fronting mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

pilly wrote: »
    What does fronting mean?

Fronting is where a 17-year-old is a named driver on his mother's Jap Integra Type R.

Advertisement