Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional receipe book

Options
  • 20-01-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm looking for receipe book suggestions. I'm hoping to find a real traditional one. Nothing that requires a load of extras in the cupboard that barely get used. Some real traditional, hearty dinner receipe and of course great desert/treat receipes.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"All in the Cooking" - it's an old school book.
    Covers all the standards, sauces, cooking methods, etc..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course is excellent. It was one of the first cookery books I got and I'm still using it more than 30 years later.

Mod note I've moved this into the main Food forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I own both All in the Cooking and Delias book. While both are simple I also think they are important as they both teach the essential basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Another vote for CCC from Delia here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If you want a real 'classic' thats been updated, then try the Good Housekeeping Institute book

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Housekeeping-Cookery-Book-Institute/dp/1909397857

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen Cook Book. Only available secondhand, but loads on Amazon from 1p (plus P&P :) ).

It's a compilation of recipes sent in by viewers of a TV programme I'd never heard of. No photos. It's from the 1980s. Lots of accumulated wisdom. No obscure ingredients. Recipes for dishes you've only vaguely heard of, as well as loads of standards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Farmhouse-Kitchen-Cook-Book/dp/0004112563

That page also links to a newer edition from 1993. Price goes up to 2p though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

spurious wrote: »
    "All in the Cooking" - it's an old school book.
    Covers all the standards, sauces, cooking methods, etc..

My mother still has the original!! Also second Delia - I can't remember which Delia one I have, but it's one of her basic ones too and it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course is excellent. It was one of the first cookery books I got and I'm still using it more than 30 years later.

Mod note I've moved this into the main Food forum :)

I can second this!!!
    My book is only about 5 years old but I'd be lost without.
    I'm no great cook but enjoy cooking, so the book is a great resource.

I didn't do Home Economics in school (back in the day!!! -not sure if it's still called that.) but I believe from friends it's a super book that they used at the time.
    Sorry that's so random I've no clue what it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shivpepper

Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course is a great book that has almost everything, and it's a good price on Amazon....https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballymaloe-Cookery-Course-Darina-Allen/dp/1856267296/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484940796&sr=1-1&keywords=ballymaloe+cookery+course

Also "Smart Cooking 1", the post primary home economics book has some nice recipes, a bit of everything.

Also check the charity shops - you can find some real gems there from Jamie Oliver, Delia Smith, Neven Maguire etc....and cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blackangel

"101 square meals" I'm not sure if you can still get hard copies of this but I've attached a link that will allow you to download it. This has some very good basic meals for anyone starting out cooking and uses basic ingredients

http://www.safefood.eu/Healthy-Eating/Recipes/101-Square-Meals-(PDF).aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an older white-covered Darina Allen book that starts from almost basics (not quite as much as some Delia books) that's very good and fairly traditional - but its at my parents house and I can't remember the name, or find it. There is a possibility it was just an earlier version of the green covered one up-thread though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

L1011 wrote: »
    There's an older white-covered Darina Allen book that starts from almost basics (not quite as much as some Delia books) that's very good and fairly traditional - but its at my parents house and I can't remember the name, or find it. There is a possibility it was just an earlier version of the green covered one up-thread though.

It might be How To Cook. That had a white cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Delia Smith's Cookery Course was my go-to cook book when I got married in the 70's. Still love it and use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I like Jamie Oliver's "Ministry Of Food" Nothing too complicated and he does variations on the basic recipes it was my present to my son when he left home to go to collage a few years ago and he found it really useful.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Jamies-Ministry-Food-Anyone-Learn-Cook-Hours/0718148622/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485675062&sr=1-1&keywords=ministry+of+food

Advertisement