Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child tracker

Options
  • 20-01-2017 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

The story is I live on a farm and house is beside yard , I have a sick elderly uncle staying with us for a few months . There is 2 cares come in to house 3 times a day and they only half close front door of house.
    Today my 2.5 year old got out the door without us noticing him gone. After 15min I went to room to look for him and saw front door was opened .
    We spent 20min looking for him thinking the worst that he could be dead drown in ditch etc but luckily he was at the end of a big field 800 meters from house.
    What could we get to track him incase this ever happened again? Something that could warn you if he breaks 50meter boundary an alarm would go off.
    If in a shopping centre etc something to track him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Fat Cant wrote: »
    The story is I live on a farm and house is beside yard , I have a sick elderly uncle staying with us for a few months . There is 2 cares come in to house 3 times a day and they only half close front door of house.
    Today my 2.5 year old got out the door without us noticing him gone. After 15min I went to room to look for him and saw front door was opened .
    We spent 20min looking for him thinking the worst that he could be dead drown in ditch etc but luckily he was at the end of a big field 800 meters from house.
    What could we get to track him incase this ever happened again? Something that could warn you if he breaks 50meter boundary an alarm would go off.
    If in a shopping centre etc something to track him?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007TW3QG2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484871513&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gps+tracking+for+children&dpPl=1&dpID=51wSZRy63rL&ref=plSrch#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1484871486008

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Get one of those collars for their neck that when they cross a certain boundary it gives them an electric shock?
    That'll surely teach them especially when ya can't be arsed looking after them.
    Sure it'll save you a load of hassle. And what kind of an idiot child gets lost after 15 minutes of not being looked after... like seriously... teach the Wee dope some cop on.
    I hate it when kids don't care what happens to them and just wander off. They are so selfish. Little pricks the lot a them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I think you should be talking to the carers and their employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Op as someone with a 2.5 year old you need to stress to the carers to close the door. It just has to be non negotiable l. I live in an estate and I wouldn't like to think of the trouble she could get into within 50m... it really is far too high a risk to be taking with a toddler. In a shopping centre you hold their hand or put them in the buggy. Please don't rely on technology like this it can fail and honestly at this age they need constant supervision. Could you maybe put a stair gate on a sitting room door or something to keep him safe while you look after your uncle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Op as someone with a 2.5 year old you need to stress to the carers to close the door. It just has to be non negotiable l. I live in an estate and I wouldn't like to think of the trouble she could get into within 50m... it really is far too high a risk to be taking with a toddler. In a shopping centre you hold their hand or put them in the buggy. Please don't rely on technology like this it can fail and honestly at this age they need constant supervision. Could you maybe put a stair gate on a sitting room door or something to keep him safe while you look after your uncle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

idnkph wrote: »
    Get one of those collars for their neck that when they cross a certain boundary it gives them an electric shock?
    That'll surely teach them especially when ya can't be arsed looking after them.
    Sure it'll save you a load of hassle. And what kind of an idiot child gets lost after 15 minutes of not being looked after... like seriously... teach the Wee dope some cop on.
    I hate it when kids don't care what happens to them and just wander off. They are so selfish. Little pricks the lot a them!!!!

Maybe we should up your voltage if you think this is even remotely acceptable. This is your second strike in Parenting. Third strike and you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

They just have to close the door. Not a negotiable. If they don't close it you need to go to the door every time and make sure it is closed. I wouldn't sleep a wink thinking of the what if's.

Don't trust technology, it could give you a false sense of security.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Close the door. I'd go mad with them. The risk is huge, and it's your child at the end of the day. In our house (in an estate) 50m would mean she would probably be knocked down by a car. The front door stays locked here.

What you could try is actually putting something on the door itself. A dead lock, or something for starters. And some sort of bell or chime that goes off when the door opens and/or closes. If all else fails maybe one of those door closers that are used on internal fire doors in big buildings. (Although I don't know about the safety of that in a fire etc).Or.....some sort of child safety gate near the inside of the door somewhere.

I wouldn't rely on something to find the child, I'd rely on something to either close the door or remind adults that the door must be closed. Even a big sign or something, along with a chime, dead bolt etc. I'm afraid you need to drive the message home here.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Why on earth are they incapable of closing a door?

Aside from letting a small child wander, It's the middle of winter, I bet they wouldn't leave their own front door open and let all their heat out.

Talk directly to them. Tell them to close the door behind them. If they cant manage a simple task like that then they should not be caring for an elderly person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They need to shut the door, I don't understand why putting a tracker device on your child would be easier than asking and ensuring that they do this tbh, unless there's information missing from the OP. If there is, and closing the door is a problem, then you need to watch the child very carefully, or limit access to the front door by using something like a stair gate to section off a part of the house (I'm talking like a gate on the door of an open plan living area or something).
    But really, once you have kids, you need to grow extra eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I agree with everyone saying that you should speak to these carers (who are caring for an elderly person and should have the cop on to close a door?).
    I'd also add that no 2.5 year old should be left to his own devices for 5 minutes never mind 15 minutes, that's a disaster waiting to happen door open or closed.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

m'lady wrote: »
    I'd also add that no 2.5 year old should be left to his own devices for 5 minutes never mind 15 minutes, that's a disaster waiting to happen door open or closed.

Come on?! There's usually no harm in leaving a child playing in a room on their own for a while without constantly sitting watching them. Most parents with small children have fairly babyproofed their houses and the children are quite safe being left to themselves. I have a 2 and a half year old. We have a train set on the landing and she could play there for hours if she wasn't interrupted. There's a playroom upstairs too that she bangs around in. I don't sit on the landing watching her. I don't even be upstairs with her. You hear the general noises and know she's fine.

Occasionally I'll realise everything has gone quiet and I'll go to check. The worst I've found is a toilet full of toilet paper or a bath full of shampoo! I was out during the week and when I got home my husband said he had found her covered in his shaving foam after realising she was a bit quiet. He had called her a few times and asked was she ok and kept getting "Yes, Daddy"!

If the front door was closed the child would have been unlikely to come to any great harm. Yes, unfortunate accidents happen, but they're not common place and parents shouldn't be judged for not sitting on their child's shoulder for every waking minute.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

when they go to bed they are in the room on their own for 12 hours...
    I know my 2 year old plays and then goes to sleep or gets up and plays in the morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We lock the door in my folks place. there's always a key nearby if someone has to unlock it.

The kids know they shouldn't open the door, but anytime they do, they're so used to me asking them to close it, that it's what they do. My 2 yr old nephew even lets me know if the door isn't locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

GPS Child Trackers; http://www.safewise.com/blog/10-wearable-safety-gps-devices-kids/

As you live in the country, it may be handy for them to have anyhoos, if they're the wandering off sort.

=-=

As said, make closing the door non-negotiable. To the point of "do it, or you get replaced".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aside from having a chat to the carers, put a spring on the door so it can't be left open and will always swing shut.

It just means you have to always have your house keys in your pocket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Who answers the door to let the carers in?

Chat with the carers, ask them to lock it. If they're arriving at the same time everyday, coul d you check yourself that it is closed? The carers are there to look after your uncle, they are not responsible for your childs whereabouts

Advertisement