Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I lose my Bank of Ireland Tracker Mortgage if I cancel my TRS? (T&Cs say it must

• 20-01-2017 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

We have had a tracker mortgage with Bank of Ireland since 2006. We are now renting out our apartment and therefore its no longer our primary residence. We want to cancel our TRS and sort out all the tax implications of renting our apartment but do not want to lose our tracker. Has anyone recently canceled TRS and had the bank approach them about their tracker. I know the banks aren't actively pursing the trackers but surely they have a process whereby when informed a residence is no longer a primary residence they seek to remove people from their trackers.
    I hope not....but looking for anyone's RECENT experience with the bank over the past 1-2 YEARS.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Check your loan offer documents to see if there is any condition saying the tracker is dependent on it being your principal residence, there may not be. Back in 2006 trackers were being given for Buy to Lets too so might not even be an issue.

As regards the tax relief I doubt BoI will even notice the TRS is gone unless something brings it to their attention such as a query on the account which makes a person look at the transactions. The TRS amounts just come in from Revenue with account numbers and amounts and is processed by a computer, no one actually looks at each individual one and accounts drop off and new ones are added all the time. It's an automated process really.

Advertisement