Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair vs Aer Lingus with 9 month old

Options
  • 20-01-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for some opinion on whether AL are more child friendly than Ryanair for a 4 hour flight with a 9 month old? Times and prices are similar - I've flown both pre baby but not paid much attention to baby suitability so hopefully I can get some opinions here :)

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What are luggage allowances like with each? What child necessities can you bring with you - I know AL do a free car seat/travel cot/buggy thing, I don't know what Ryanair do.

As for which is better in-flight, AL tends to be my preference, but that's more habit than anything else. A couple years ago it was because you could all get a seat together and that's important with kids, rather than the rush onto a Ryanair flight, but I don't think that's the case any longer.

I think I'd also be looking at what airport each flies into - if AL get you closer to the final destination, I'd go with them.

Those are the factors I'd be looking at other than cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Aer Lingus all the way for me. I found them great when my little man was 10months

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking for some opinion on whether AL are more child friendly than Ryanair for a 4 hour flight with a 9 month old? Times and prices are similar - I've flown both pre baby but not paid much attention to baby suitability so hopefully I can get some opinions here :)

Thanks a mil

We flew with both with our 4.5 month old in Dec (her 1st flight), 4 hour flight (Canaries), AL there and Ryanair back. Not a huge amount of difference between them to be fair (baggage & free equipment allowances are fairly identical, although I think it looks better on paper with Ryanair).

We were very lucky with AL on the way out as the flight wasn't even half-full, so the crew had more time to be attentive & helpful and there were loads of free seats (so we had a row of 3 to ourselves). We were blessed with our baba as she had no issues on the flight at all. Disembarking, the crew didn't seem to know whether our buggy would be brought to the door of the plane (air-bridge) or not, which was surprising (you think they'd know one way or another). We waited a while and then they told us that we should probably go into the terminal as it must be getting sent in there - that was a minor inconvenience. So if flying to Fuerteventura, don't expect to get your buggy to the door of the plane.

No issue on the way back with Ryanair, although they don't seem to call for elderly/passengers with babies/needing assistance to board first - don't know if this still happens with other airlines either though, couldn't judge with AL on the way out as we were the last to board anyway. Certainly didn't have any issues with Ryanair overall and the buggy was waiting for us at the bottom of the steps on returning to Dublin.

Would happily fly with either again with young children, so it would pretty much come down to price/suitability. If prices are similar & other decisions like that are all fairly equal, I would probably just about edge towards AL on a flight that long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

Both are pretty much the same, go with whichever price/time combination suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Thanks guys - does anyone remember/know if AL arm rests slide up? If they do I'd go with them in case herself wants to lie down, wishful thinking :D And the distance walking to the gate is a lot less with AL in T2, the Ryanair walk in T1 goes on forever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yep, the armrest goes up. In a lot of 'away' airports the buggies are collected after passport control, so this might (or might not) be normal (in Faro they are collected close to the carousels, but not on the carousel).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We've flown BA, Monarch, Easyjet and Ryanair with our 10 month old (first flight at 4 months) - Ryanair from LGW by far the worst, BA into LCY best. Pretty much everyone else allows families with small children to board early (even if Easyjet don't advertise it, even with paying for priority boarding on Ryanair we still ended up getting shoved around a bit. Also got a dirty look from cabin crew because my son's legs were stretching into the aisle while he was breastfeeding during takeoff.

Gatwick security's "family line" is a bit of a joke as well - got my liquids bag back on the other side of the scanner with a broken bottle of Calpol in it destroying pretty much everything and they were on a go-slow with parents with buggies, I was lucky I had my son in the sling for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Lots of love for Aer Lingus on this thread! I've never travelled with children on Aer Lingus - too many bad experiences when it was just me - but have travelled with children of all ages on Ryanair, as has the rest of my family, from the "bad old days" to now. Never any problems, and the one time my wife had to travel alone with three small children on a standby flight, RA were extremely helpful, even to the point of re-seating some other passengers to keep them all together.

As for the "families first" boarding. Why??? These days, whether it's RA or AL, your seat has already been assigned, so it doesn't make any difference if you're the very first or the very last to board, you'll be sitting in exactly the same place. Much better (especially for the children) to wait and play in the terminal where you've got easy access to toilets for last minute "can't wait" emergencies and space to burn off some energy before being tied into a seat for an hour or two! Works equally well for adults. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Thanks guys - does anyone remember/know if AL arm rests slide up? If they do I'd go with them in case herself wants to lie down, wishful thinking :D And the distance walking to the gate is a lot less with AL in T2, the Ryanair walk in T1 goes on forever!

Bring a jumper or pillow , fold down your table and your partners table and put herself to sleep on it. Instant bed.

Kids under 2 don't get seats, they sit on your lap

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We've flown BA, Monarch, Easyjet and Ryanair with our 10 month old (first flight at 4 months) - Ryanair from LGW by far the worst, BA into LCY best. Pretty much everyone else allows families with small children to board early (even if Easyjet don't advertise it, even with paying for priority boarding on Ryanair we still ended up getting shoved around a bit. Also got a dirty look from cabin crew because my son's legs were stretching into the aisle while he was breastfeeding during takeoff.

Gatwick security's "family line" is a bit of a joke as well - got my liquids bag back on the other side of the scanner with a broken bottle of Calpol in it destroying pretty much everything and they were on a go-slow with parents with buggies, I was lucky I had my son in the sling for travel.

With designated seating why board first? Keep the kid off the plane for as long as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

.......... Never any problems, and the one time my wife had to travel alone with three small children on a standby flight, RA were extremely helpful, even to the point of re-seating some other passengers to keep them all together.

As for the "families first" boarding. Why??? These days, whether it's RA or AL, your seat has already been assigned, so it doesn't make any difference if you're the very first or the very last to board, you'll be sitting in exactly the same place.

Mmmmmm

Ryanair standby ....... That's a new one to me

*If your last onboard with Ryanair you will likely not be allowed carry your cabin bag on board and if you do you unlikely to get it over your seat. My advice is if you go with Ryanair is book priority (guaranteed bag on board). AL and EJ usually call families with small children first (even as posted above they don't advertise it) and get on board early. Allocated seats or not RY is still a fair old scramble on board.

* my daughter with a 10 month old had her bag put in the hold. We all had priority but they decided to board last as they thought it would be better/easier. Lucky enough we exchanged bags before boarding so we had the bulk of baby stuff with us on board and our bag was the one in the hold.

Advertisement