Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minute steak..tough?

Options
  • 20-01-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I bought a pack of minute steak yesterday (it has 3 steaks in it) and I planned on cooking a stirfry tonight, cutting the beef into strips and doing the usual myraid of veg.

Trouble is, from my experience, minute steak tends to be tough.

Is there anything I can do to ensure it's not like chewing a welly?

Oh and I don't have a wok unfortunately. Just a few different size pans and pots of course.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was only talking about minute steaks yesterday - I think it's round steak that has been beaten to tenderise it? You're right - if you fry it it will be tough. If it's thick enough you could brown it on the pan with some onions, add a little beef stock and braise it in the oven covered in foil for about 40 minutes. Or you could make something like a beef curry and simmer it for a good while.

Another thing I thought of yesterday - my mother used to buy round steak and roll it with stuffing inside. You could layer the steaks with stuffing and roast it, covered with foil for most of the time, if that took your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I usually use stewing beef for stirfries and fry it to brown it, then keep it covered on a very low heat and put a few tablespoons of liquid (water or soy sauce) in at a time til they cook down, then add more etc. I could easily do this for an hour. It always softens the meat nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a chinese cooking thread and they gave tips takeaways use to tenderize beef. Might have had baking soda or something on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Okay, two tips for tough minute steak, for your stir fry.

Step 1
    Marinate it. The marinade must contain an acid to break down the tough meat. Try marinading it in red wine, soy sauce, garlic and honey. Leave it overnight.

Step 2
    Flash fry it. Remove the steak from the marinade, and dry it off with paper towel. Rub it with oil on both sides. Heat a pan til screaming hot, then cook the steak for 40 seconds a side and remove from the pan and allow to rest. Make the rest of your stir fry. Then thinly slice your steak against the grain and throw it back into the pan for a few seconds with the rest of your veg/noodles/sauce.

Should be nice and tender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement