Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do tulips start showing through?

Options
  • 20-01-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

a few years ago i planted loads of daffodil and tulip bulbs and for the past two years I have had a beautiful display from Feb onwards. This year the daffodils are doing well and I expect them to flower in the next few weeks but i can only see about 4 tulips coming through when there was easily 50 bulbs planted. Is it still a bit early (although the ones that have come through are a couple of inches tall) or maybe something has happened to my tulips? I don't recall doing anything differently last year, just letting them die down like I did the daffodils.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Too early for any of my tulips yet although the daffodils are breaking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

From my understanding, some people treat tulip as annuals as they do not always rebloom. It's too early for tulips to be showing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I planted 50 bulbs in mid November. After seeing this post, I went out to see if there's any progress. Myself and kids are super excited to see all 50 of em have broken thru the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

same here. planted about 60 in november and all are broken through. some of them 2-3 inches high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

same here. planted about 60 in november and all are broken through. some of them 2-3 inches high

Looks like i won't be having tulips this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mine are just breaking ground today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

jaffa20 wrote: »
    From my understanding, some people treat tulip as annuals as they do not always rebloom.

That's true for me. I no longer invest in fancy tulips for that reason... apparently they are not really suited to the Irish climate and they tend to last one year only.

But I can see my plain tulips breaking through, they've been at it for the last couple of days if not weeks. It's a very mild winter indeed.

Advertisement