Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not fixing up heating.

Options
  • 20-01-2017 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there, I moved in a new house 2 months ago and since day 1 the heater in one of the rooms didn't work. I told my landlord that its not working and he said he's gonna fix it... I have to use the hot water bottle to keep myself warm. After 2 months, my room is still not fixed and as it seems nothing is working (it usually took 15 minutes after turning the oil on to get the house warm, now even after few hours the house is cold), I went through 500l of kerosene in one month and you cant really tell the difference as its still cold in the house. My landlord is telling me that "he is gonna take care of things" and that his plumber is in hospital, which is nice but is freezing outside and now is freezing even in the house....
    And I wonder what I am supposed to do now? calling him every day doesn't change a thing as "he is gonna take care of it"... Do I call a plumber myself and deduct the price from rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You need to give him a deadline in writing, with notice that you will engage your own tradesman after this deadline has passed should the issue not be resolved. You can then get your money back from the landlord should you have to get it fixed yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mefistos

You need to give him a deadline in writing, with notice that you will engage your own tradesman after this deadline has passed should the issue not be resolved. You can then get your money back from the landlord should you have to get it fixed yourself.

What deadline? From what I found online he has 3-5 days to fix the heating problem which is already late. Do I need to send him a letter or is text message considered giving them heads up "in writing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You are probably covered by a text, but you're better off in writing. 3-5 days is the guidance Threshold give but there is no legal time limit on what is required, merely that the landlord refuses to carry out the repair at the agreed time and delaying of the repair causes impact on health and safety or signification reduction in the quality of the tenant's living environment. Your issue is under the latter. At this stage, I'd give him until Tuesday owing for the weekend and start making prospective calls in case you need to call out your own plumber.

You are probably covered by a text, but you're better off in writing. 3-5 days is the guidance Threshold give but there is no legal time limit on what is required, merely that the landlord refuses to carry out the repair at the agreed time and delaying of the repair causes impact on health and safety or signification reduction in the quality of the tenant's living environment. Your issue is under the latter. At this stage, I'd give him until Tuesday owing for the weekend and start making prospective calls in case you need to call out your own plumber.

Will do! Thank you very much for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mefistos wrote: »
    since day 1 the heater in one of the rooms didn't work.
    What sort of heater is it? Electric, storage, or one heated by hot water?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    What sort of heater is it? Electric, storage, or one heated by hot water?

I have a back boiler so the one heated by hot water.... I wish I had electric one as I spent 600 Euro on kerosene in 2 months.... never was even close to that with electricity for full apartment over winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a back boiler so the one heated by hot water.... I wish I had electric one as I spent 600 Euro on kerosene in 2 months.... never was even close to that with electricity for full apartment over winter...

What kind of back boiler are you running on kerosene?

A water filled radiator not working suggests its either turned off or completely full of air and needs bleeding. Have you checked both of these?

L1011 wrote: »
    What kind of back boiler are you running on kerosene?

A water filled radiator not working suggests its either turned off or completely full of air and needs bleeding. Have you checked both of these?

I don't know what kind of boiler I have.. all I know is that I can use either kerosene or coal.. coal is not working at all and oil is working only if I release air out of all radiators in the house from bottom to the top and even then the boiler in my room doesn't get hot at all.... and I have to release the air every single day... so I assume there is not enough water, but I dont know how to fill it back up...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A back boiler is behind a fire. You can have a fire without one - if the radiators aren't getting hot from a fire you probably don't.

There should be a feed valve for the heating to allow water in, or if its a very old system it may be fed without any valve from a header tank in the attic. The valve would likely be in the hot press if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

oil is working only if I release air out of all radiators in the house from bottom to the top and even then the boiler in my room doesn't get hot at all.... and I have to release the air every single day... so I assume there is not enough water, but I dont know how to fill it back up...
    Having to release the air every single day sounds odd to me. Can anyone else clarify if this is normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

the_syco wrote: »
    Having to release the air every single day sounds odd to me. Can anyone else clarify if this is normal?

That sounds like a leak in the system. I'm sure the lads over on the DIY forum would have a better idea if the OP can clarify

goz83 wrote: »
    That sounds like a leak in the system. I'm sure the lads over on the DIY forum would have a better idea if the OP can clarify

Don't know if I would be able to fix a leak in the system by myself:D... I will let plumber to take a look at it and see whats going on... :)

Advertisement