Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked with immediate effect

Options
  • 20-01-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Two questions,

One I was only in the company 9 days part of a 6 month probation period do I have a right to apply?

The wording says I texted fellow colleagues about a colleague during training causing upset to that team-mate.

They have no proof is that slander and is there legal grounds there?

Hope ye can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Unfair dismissal only comes into play after 12months.

Nothing you can do except chalk it to experience and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

but1er wrote:

How do you know they have no proof, the teammate you texted may have showed the text to management.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Do you have a right to apply for what exactly??

Regardless of having No proof, if you were bad mouthing another employee off then your hardly expect to get away scott free when caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

9 days in? If they want you out, you're out. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So did you send the text or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

No text to team mates where sent.

Unfortunately I was checking in on a ill family member I was very worried about.

The girl reporting did not see eye to eye with me from day one

Can I apply there decision of sacking?

Surely they should of gotten character references

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

You mean appeal?

And no, no legal recourse or appeal. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No. Move on no point dwelling on this. You have no right to unfair dismissal claim if that's what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

but1er wrote: »
    Can I apply there decision of sacking?

Surely they should of gotten character references
    The onus is on you to conduct yourself professionally. Reading between the lines of the limited facts you provided, they decided you weren't a good fit, you provided the opportunity, and they took it.

Learn and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi guys

Two questions,

One I was only in the company 9 days part of a 6 month probation period do I have a right to apply?

The wording says I texted fellow colleagues about a colleague during training causing upset to that team-mate.

Hope ye can help

You have no rights as you were in prob period and forgetting about their proof, if what they said is true then you deserve to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭username2013

No text to team mates where sent.

Unfortunately I was checking in on a ill family member I was very worried about.

The girl reporting did not see eye to eye with me from day one

So basically you're saying that you were sacked for sending a text message to see if an ill family member was OK?

If that's the case why can't you show them the text message? Where did they get the idea that you texted a fellow colleague from? I think there is something you are not telling us about this OP. No way I can see any company getting rid of a potential employee for texting a family member!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Were you supposed to be sending texts at all?

I'm guessing that the issue isn't the content of any text, it's the fact that you sent it.

Big picture - do you really want to work with the bitch who reported you?

Thanks guys.

Anyone hiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anyone hiring?

not you - I've heard you're trouble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thanks guys.

Anyone hiring?

Sure thing! Dodgy story really makes you an attractive prospect. :confused:

So basically you're saying that you were sacked for sending a text message to see if an ill family member was OK?

If that's the case why can't you show them the text message? Where did they get the idea that you texted a fellow colleague from? I think there is something you are not telling us about this OP. No way I can see any company getting rid of a potential employee for texting a family member!

Honestly I showed text message to them In hearing, yeah the girl made a complaint and claimed I was texting about her which is incorrect it was a family member

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Honestly I showed text message to them In hearing, yeah the girl made a complaint and claimed I was texting about her which is incorrect it was a family member

Your story makes no sense. Why would a girl claim you were sending texts about her?

So simple to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Your story sounds a bit funny to be honest. You'd want to get it straight cause its not your job you should be worried about, its some of the boardies on here they'll rip you and your story apart....and it wont be pretty.....just a heads up.

Right long post alert.

Started with a group of 6
    This one girl and me never seen eye to eye clash of personalities and we just bump off each other.

Tuesday gone bad mood worried about home so middle of her presention I texted home (should of waited my own fault)

She took her own idea of this that I texted someome in the class went to the trainer and reported this as bully which then led to my dismissal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

but1er wrote:
    Started with a group of 6 This one girl and me never seen eye to eye clash of personalities and we just bump off each other.

Man I'd move on if I were you,if it's true she's probably a brat and because you didn't give her the attention she thought she deserved, she probably got resentful and decided to get revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Johnson_76

Thanks guys.

Anyone hiring?

Send me a text :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So she said you texted something about her, nobody saw such a text and you still got fired?

There's something missing here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Out of curiosity, what did you text that could be interpreted as being about a new colegue who you didn't get on with while she was presenting something?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So she said you texted something about her, nobody saw such a text and you still got fired?

There's something missing here

Maybe.

Or she might just be a bitch, but the boss likes her tits or something. They're on probation, one of them needs to go. No brainer.

In which case OP is best out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Maybe it was the rudeness of texting while another member of staff was doing a presentation that was the reason for the firing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Maybe it was the rudeness of texting while another member of staff was doing a presentation that was the reason for the firing?

Jayzus seriously ???

If a company had this policy,the OP is well rid....

I let my staff text away,I like to have staff who feel a bit of freedom in their working environment.

I suppose were all professional hortuculturists and no need for presentation's my staff are well capable.
    Creativity is spiritual thing it's a soul thing....It's a house thing

Play your favorite house mix and let it go Mon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Jayzus seriously ???

If a company had this policy,the OP is well rid....

I let my staff text away,I like to have staff who feel a bit of freedom in their working environment.

I suppose were all professional hortuculturists and no need for presentation's my staff are well capable.
    Creativity is spiritual thing it's a soul thing....It's a house thing

Play your favorite house mix and let it go Mon...

Looks like you and the op are a perfect fit, op you should PM steathfins your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

To be honest, it sounds like you dodged a bullet- better to be let go from the place when you were on a trial period, then to get hired, have someone be like 'he's bullying me' and have your employment record tarnished.

That boss sounds dodgy-he may very well have the eye for her, or she may very well be fulfilling a quota. Who knows. She crazy. That's all I can say really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

To be honest, it sounds like you dodged a bullet- better to be let go from the place when you were on a trial period, then to get hired, have someone be like 'he's bullying me' and have your employment record tarnished.

That boss sounds dodgy-he may very well have the eye for her, or she may very well be fulfilling a quota. Who knows. She crazy. That's all I can say really.

To be fair, in the second week of a new job, at a presentation with a small group, its abit stupid to be both texting on your phone, and being seen texting on your phone. To many it would appear like disinterest.

Advertisement