Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked with immediate effect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair, in the second week of a new job, at a presentation with a small group, its abit stupid to be both texting on your phone, and being seen texting on your phone. To many it would appear like disinterest.

True-but in that case someone would usually walk over and be like 'Hey, mate-show some respect, okay? PResentations are on and it's important'.
    Instead of a sacking-then claiming bullying...yeah, that's too extreme for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Wierd...

Were you actually standing up and giving the presentation a the time of Textgate?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

but1er wrote: »
    Hi guys

Two questions,

One I was only in the company 9 days part of a 6 month probation period do I have a right to apply?

The wording says I texted fellow colleagues about a colleague during training causing upset to that team-mate.

They have no proof is that slander and is there legal grounds there?

Hope ye can help

What does your contract of employment say? Does your employer have their own disciplinary procedures they failed to adhere to?

The offence of slander no longer exists per se, but there is a general offence of defamation, which could come into play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Was your message easily /conveniently interpreted as being about a sick person / boring colleague? Did it go something like this 'this is ****, can't wait to be out of here, she is just awful' [-ly sick I hope she gets better soon] ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

davo10 wrote:
    Looks like you and the op are a perfect fit, op you should PM steathfins your CV.

Very funny, just because I believe in a more relaxed working atmosphere you said that.

Davo I don't believe in the new age thing tying people to desks or work benches.
    Firing people because I don't like them,then saying I can do what I like because I'm the boss.
    I'm under the impression you use the good old you're not here long enough so I can fire you if I like.

If someone has an important text to send I think it's OK.
    Firing people over sending a text during a presentation lol it's not North Korea.

My staff are well able to send messages and tune in to what's going on around them.

There's a big difference between working in an office environment and working in the outside world.

You'll work harder physically sometimes but at the end of the day you can see your work done, and look at it with satisfaction.

If you need to go for a pss you don't have to log out of your working station or computer and it's timed,so if you're gone too long you'll get a warning.

Those kind of working conditions are a million miles away from my working conditions.

I probably earn a lot more than you anyway,had my mortgage paid off by the time I was 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

So you were in a company 9 days, had already rubbed a colleague up the wrong way (maybe because you have an attitude of '' the boss likes her tits or something '' which is just the type of guy everyone wants to work with)
    She was giving a presentation which you decided to ignore, pull out your phone and start texting.
    Mate you wouldn't make it through probation in any of the companies I've worked for either.
    Your coming across as ignorant, not only as a person (by not realising texting when someone is presenting to you is dopey as ****) by not doing the usual social expectation as being whiter than white and cleaner than clean In a new job (9 days in) but ignorant in how you spoke of your colleague and the company.
    1. You weren't sacked, you were told while on probation that you weren't a good fit and that you didn't pass your probation.
    I'm guessing because the managers went Jesus Christ this guy is oblivious get him out asap.
    2. You come across as an asshole- referring to your colleague as not having the job for a reason other than the boss liking her tits.
    3. Slander? Seriously a colleague giving a presentation said to her manager this guys is wrecking my head pulled out his phone in the middle of a presentation and ignored me and started texting away.

Move on, cop on and grow up.

The only people who get away with texting during either a conversation or a presentation in real life at work are people who are important in the org. Not people in the door 9 days. It's hardly business critical is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So you were in a company 9 days, had already rubbed a colleague up the wrong way (maybe because you have an attitude of '' the boss likes her tits or something '' which is just the type of guy everyone wants to work with)
    She was giving a presentation which you decided to ignore, pull out your phone and start texting.
    Mate you wouldn't make it through probation in any of the companies I've worked for either.
    Your coming across as ignorant, not only as a person (by not realising texting when someone is presenting to you is dopey as ****) by not doing the usual social expectation as being whiter than white and cleaner than clean In a new job (9 days in) but ignorant in how you spoke of your colleague and the company.
    1. You weren't sacked, you were told while on probation that you weren't a good fit and that you didn't pass your probation.
    I'm guessing because the managers went Jesus Christ this guy is oblivious get him out asap.
    2. You come across as an asshole- referring to your colleague as not having the job for a reason other than the boss liking her tits.
    3. Slander? Seriously a colleague giving a presentation said to her manager this guys is wrecking my head pulled out his phone in the middle of a presentation and ignored me and started texting away.

Move on, cop on and grow up.

The only people who get away with texting during either a conversation or a presentation in real life at work are people who are important in the org. Not people in the door 9 days. It's hardly business critical is it?

I don't think the likes her tits comment was the ops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I went to the trainer at the end of class explained the situation at home and apologies for texting I was worried about home.

I feel favoritism against me. This company was all about progress and helping people why could they just not sit me down and say cop on,

Very drastic.

I feel it's slander as there saying on the letter upsetting other people in work what proof have they got? They have none, yes I'm on my phone there is the text with date and time to home.

Creol1 wrote: »
    What does your contract of employment say? Does your employer have their own disciplinary procedures they failed to adhere to?

The offence of slander no longer exists per se, but there is a general offence of defamation, which could come into play here.

Unfortunately I have no right to appeal it because I was on probation.

Well did you upset her?
    You have to see it from their side as well like if the trainer came to them and said this douche has been texting through my class etc he's not the right fit for the company of course their going to get rid of you.

It sounds like you made a really bad impression let it go it's not slander if you really were being a jackass.

• Advertisement

Well did you upset her?
    You have to see it from their side as well like if the trainer came to them and said this douche has been texting through my class etc he's not the right fit for the company of course their going to get rid of you.

It sounds like you made a really bad impression let it go it's not slander if you really were being a jackass.

You know what the worse thing is I got the total other Impression the feedback all positive got on well with other class mates.

Yes I sent one text I was worried. I done it on the sly and she got the hump

And you were new and they decided they didn't want the trouble. You said you had an issue with this employee since day one.
    That's never a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

but1er wrote: »
    I went to the trainer at the end of class explained the situation at home and apologies for texting I was worried about home.

I feel favoritism against me. This company was all about progress and helping people why could they just not sit me down and say cop on,

Very drastic.

I feel it's slander as there saying on the letter upsetting other people in work what proof have they got? They have none, yes I'm on my phone there is the text with date and time to home.

Nobody is going to fire anyone for a text. They certainly aren't going to waste precious time on such a trivial thing.

There is more to this story than you're telling us.

What was your attitude when challenged on it during the meeting?

Was it "oh, my bad, sorry!" or was it "dafuq bud, whats yer problem?"

If its the latter, or any shade of the latter, that's why you were sacked, not the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

It's 9 days in and already you're saying "this company is like this and that, there's favoritism etc."

If that's your attitude then obviously they weren't a fan of it. I doubt it's this one text that got you out the door but how do you fall out with people and claim that they have favorites in the company in such a short space of time?

You're coming across like a difficult person to work with and you don't seem to realise it. Maybe it's a good lesson that this happened here and you can start fresh somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Still doesn't add up - are you really telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

You have no rights as you were in prob period and forgetting about their proof, if what they said is true then you deserve to be fired.

I wouldn't say that a person on probation has no rights, they have whatever rights are in the probationary policy of the company or probationary clause in the contract given. These would normally allow an opportunity for under-performers to improve their performance during the probationary period - if they fail to do so then they can be let go. They also have rights under Equality legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What a vile, vindictive woman.

People like that are a cancer in any organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

It doesn't matter whether you did it or it was fair or anything.

You were on probation. They don't even have to give a reason.

As long as it wasn't discriminatory, (i.e. they explicitly said "its because youre a protestant/Chinese person/disabled") you cant do nothing.

What a vile, vindictive woman.

People like that are a cancer in any organisation.
    #nastywoman
    lolz

#nastywoman
    lolz

#rite2job4life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MerrionMusings

If you're sacked in week 1, and you are trying to take a slander case... I'd just move on. What are you expecting out of taking the case? A settlement? To be re-hired? Neither would happen I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OP you were sacked at least stand up and own what you did and give us all a little amusement.

FYI don't mention this company on your CV or in the next interview you get.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    #nastywoman
    lolz

#rite2job4life
    No one has that right mate

@OP What was the wording of the text you sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Similiarish thing happened me last week.

As in sacked with immediate effect, I was only there around 6/7 weeks. In fact everyone of us got the sack. A new restaurant opened, bar & restaurant to be exact - with an absolute d head for an owner typical rich guy who didn't give a f about anyone just money, no kids no family just money. So 6/7 weeks into the restaurant it's going so bad (cause he never ran a restaurant before and keeps changing the menu and idea of the place) so he hires a new head chef who brings in a whole new team

Doesn't even have the balls to tell us all the floor staff, and chefs that were fired, just brings us up to the office and says, don't bother coming in for your hours for the rest of the week, we have other people to do your work now basically.

The place will be changed yet again in another week.. Imagine relaunching your new restaurant ALREADY six weeks after opening. HAHA.

Life is annoying sometimes unfortunately!

I just laugh now cause the place is turned into/ trying to be a 'Organic Beetroot' type place - rabbit food, vegan type of thing....

You win some you lose some ;) .

No one has that right mate

"Sigh" Not the intended meaning but okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just move on and stricken this from your cv. You'll get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My advice is to take this job off your cv and start looking for a new job.

When you get you get a job interview don't say that you worked here. Be plesent to who you meet then and just be aware that companies do ask staff what did you think of ie John who we interviewed today.

When you get a new job. Leave your phone off and just look at during brake times or lunch time. Always be in on time and be back from brakes on time.
    Be plesent to all the people you meet. If you start with a few people and even if you think your new boss, supervisor or trainer are horrible do not say anything to the others. Some people are quite happy to run to the boss and repeat what you said or did.

Some jobs dont work out for a reason. Learn form this, move on and don't make the same mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Similiarish thing happened me last week.

As in sacked with immediate effect, I was only there around 6/7 weeks. In fact everyone of us got the sack. A new restaurant opened, bar & restaurant to be exact - with an absolute d head for an owner typical rich guy who didn't give a f about anyone just money, no kids no family just money. So 6/7 weeks into the restaurant it's going so bad (cause he never ran a restaurant before and keeps changing the menu and idea of the place) so he hires a new head chef who brings in a whole new team

Doesn't even have the balls to tell us all the floor staff, and chefs that were fired, just brings us up to the office and says, don't bother coming in for your hours for the rest of the week, we have other people to do your work now basically.

The place will be changed yet again in another week.. Imagine relaunching your new restaurant ALREADY six weeks after opening. HAHA.

Life is annoying sometimes unfortunately!

I just laugh now cause the place is turned into/ trying to be a 'Organic Beetroot' type place - rabbit food, vegan type of thing....

You win some you lose some ;) .

Cool story bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Cool story bro.

Original

Advertisement