Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail account

Options
  • 20-01-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have what seems to be a big problem.
    I have had a Hotmail email account for at least 15years. On 14th Jan I changed my password. No problems there, have changed about twice before in the 15 years. Have logged in every day with new password no problems.
    Today I tried to log in and was told it was wrong password, it was not. After trying a couple of times I was asked to reset password so I thought this was only option. So I went through process and changed password again. This process used the phone to send a verification code etc. No problems.
    So then I went to log in again with this latest new password and guess what, same thing exactly happened again. I seem to be stuck in a loop. I am stuck. It makes no sense.
    So I went to Microsoft community to post my problem …of course I couldn’t as they ask you to sign in to your account before you can post.
    This is my main email account. I have never had problems with it before. How do I solve this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update : I just rebooted my computer and logged in successfully with the latest password, have no idea what was wrong. panic over. thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Following on from the above email. I have just tried to log in to my yahoo email account and I am getting the same notification again, that the password is invalid. I haven't gone any further as its not important to access it at this time. I have rebooted my computer and it is still the same.

I am now suspicious. The desktop computer I am using is just a few months old with windows7 and firefox. Also I used the 'on screen' keyboard facility when logging in to emails and banks etc. My online banking all seems ok.
    I have an old eircom account which I will try shortly.
    I am feeling a little uncomfortable now. Any thoughts would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Is there perhaps a "stuck" control key or perhaps your regional settings are a little off so that, for example the @ key becomes " ?

When you're having a problem again type your password into notepad to make sure that you get what you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Slightly off topic, do you use a password manager?

A password manager allows you to use one master password to store all other passwords and autotypes entries with a keyboard shortcut. Keepass is one such program for windows.

Probably other programs available, anyway it would save hassle from mistyping, if you change a password, just update the database file.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

So the Yahoo one turned out to be ok as I finally remembered I had changed password about 4 months ago when traveling and had forgot about that.
    I very much appreciate the comments you have posted and will look into those suggestions.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement