Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance with an old conviction

Options
  • 20-01-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Lads,

When I was a teenager I was stupid and got caught with no insurance. Ended up with 1k fine and 2 year off the road. It was on the 12 Aug 2010.
    Well I tried to get insurance.... good luck with that. Even after almost 7 years.
    Can't get a quote. One after another are refusing to insure. I recently got full license too (had a provisional for like 7-8 years).
    Anybody knows a way to get a decent quote? I'm prepared to pay up to 3k as I really need to drive.

26 Male, living in Kerry.
    Car: 2001 Golf 1.4 petrol, 5 door manual.

I'll be glad if I can get any help with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

The age of the car isnt helping you eithre.
    If it was me i would be looking towards brokers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sphinister

9935452 wrote: »
    The age of the car isnt helping you eithre.
    If it was me i would be looking towards brokers

It has 56k on the clock.
    It's not like I'm gonna buy a new car. What I ha e has to last at least 6 months. Then I can get something newer as those greedy fks require. Until then I have to get this insured for a reasonable price.
    Any suggestions on brokers? Preferably in Clondalkin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

As stated, the age of the car has already blocked you from most insurance companies, Stupid , but true.

My mother is in a similer situation with her 05 z4, getting very difficult to insure even though it is in perfect condition with less than 40k miles on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Did you obtain any insurance since your licence was reinstated ?

If not , then the conviction will effect the 1st 2-3yrs at least with a loading depending on the endorsement that was handed down in court.

You may have to obtain 3 decline letters from the first 3 companies that said NO and approach insurance ireland whom will handle your scenario under the 'Decline Cases Agreement (DCA) thus nominating an Insurance company to take you on.

If an insurance company are willing to quote you, be it expensive, it may be cheaper than the DCA route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Sphinister wrote: »
    It has 56k on the clock.
    It's not like I'm gonna buy a new car. What I ha e has to last at least 6 months. Then I can get something newer as those greedy fks require. Until then I have to get this insured for a reasonable price.
    Any suggestions on brokers? Preferably in Clondalkin area.

Broker location doesn't matter, you don't have to go into them. Ring them. Are you Clondalkin or Kerry?

• Advertisement
Advertisement