Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza 0

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

kevin6877 wrote: »
    I've played the entire series up to this point, including the Japanese only ones. I'm actually a really big fan of 1 and especially 2. The story in both of them is very well written. Only other games that have gotten close to capturing that same feel are 5 and 0.

Regarding Yakuza 1 One thing you'll notice should you decide to go back to 1, 2 etc. is that the combat is less deep. Ishin introduced the style switching you'll see in 0 and Kiwami, but before then, Kiryu only had the one style of combat. That, and there's no karaoke, but there's still mahjong and stuff. Karaoke was introduced from 3 onwards.

Kiwami is a remake in every sense of the word. I've some reservations about it compared to the original, but one of the big things for me was that it was a full price game when it released in Japan back at the start of 2016. It definitely had a lot of attention put into it, but it just didn't feel worth the ¥70,000. Sega seem to have realised this and made it much cheaper for the English release, so I'm a lot happier to recommend it to people now.

For the completely uninitiated, I'd recommend playing the series in order of release, as this is the kind of series that makes you feel rewarded for having stuck with it. 1 and 2 can be kind of hard to come by, but otherwise, there is a PS3 HD collection that was released in Japan if you don't mind playing with a guide. PS3s are region free, so you just need to import a copy either physically or get it off Japanese PSN and you're set.

If you've already played 0 and can't stand the thought of going back to the much shallower combat of the originals, then yeah, definitely get Kiwami and play the first game that way. It's definitely a lot more worth €30/35 than ¥70,000.

On that subject, though, the RRP or whatever for Kiwami in English was announced by Sega to be €35, but I checked in Gamestop and they're charging €70 for it. What's the story there?

Wow that is one hell of the a write up for the series, agree with all your points, if we had a Yakuza sub forum that should be stickied.

As regards the price, I pre ordered Kiwami on Amazon day one and the steel book version is costing me £22.99 with the Prime discount, knowing how Gamestop usually overprice Japanese games it could be the actual price and not a placeholder, even if it is they were selling Yakuza 0 for 69.99 and I got it on Amazon for £29.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kevin6877

Xenji wrote: »
    Wow that is one hell of the a write up for the series, agree with all your points, if we had a Yakuza sub forum that should be stickied.

As regards the price, I pre ordered Kiwami on Amazon day one and the steel book version is costing me £22.99 with the Prime discount, knowing how Gamestop usually overprice Japanese games it could be the actual price and not a placeholder, even if it is they were selling Yakuza 0 for 69.99 and I got it on Amazon for £29.99.

Cheers, Xenji, I'm quite passionate about the series as you can tell, haha. I've been thinking about writing a player's guide for those who have already played 0 or are just interested in the series in general and wondering where to start, since we're now out of the doldrums that came after Dead Souls' release, and with 6 coming out in English next year, there's arguably no better time to get into the series.

Ah, nice, I saw Base.com are doing it for mad cheap, could ship it over to Ireland and all for cheaper than if I got it from amazon. Anyone have experience ordering from them? I'm mainly looking to have the game for the day of release, which I know amazon always dispatch games on the day of release, or even the day after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Due to lack of hardware, I'll have to experience the franchise however Sega decides to play it out on Euro PS4. Will be getting Yakuza Kiwami on launch day, more than likely in Argos but if any price in b&m is higher than 35 I'll just get it digitally. Then I'll be getting Yakuza 6 next year. Sega said they'll have new Yakuza news soon so hopefully that means more remakes.

I'm mad to have a look at the Yakuza website for the new comics they have going over the franchise but I want to play Kiwami first and then will need a link between that and 6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Even though I'm a big fan, I'm still not interested in paying for and getting locked into Sony's playstation economy. Hopefully SEGA manages to publish the series on PC, otherwise I'll just have fond memories of it. Just sold 3 & 4 for PS3 on adverts, too.

Even though I'm a big fan, I'm still not interested in paying for and getting locked into Sony's playstation economy. Hopefully SEGA manages to publish the series on PC, otherwise I'll just have fond memories of it. Just sold 3 & 4 for PS3 on adverts, too.

Have Sega ever hinted at releasing them on PC? Maybe that could be their upcoming announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

did i hear correctly that they are remaking all of them in chronological order for ps4?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

bigphil2 wrote: »
    did i hear correctly that they are remaking all of them in chronological order for ps4?

No, 1 is next, then 6.
    I don't think they have plans to remake 2-5 ...or they haven't announced em.

Maybe depending on the success and sales of 1 they might. I hope. Who knows :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

SeantheMan wrote: »
    No, 1 is next, then 6.
    I don't think they have plans to remake 2-5 ...or they haven't announced em.

Maybe depending on the success and sales of 1 they might. I hope. Who knows :eek:

its crazy ive never played these before 0,they remind me of Shenmue but not ****e.. :)

Ryu ga Gotoku are promising a new title announcement next month, I would say it will be a Yakuza announcement and not a new IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's currently on sale on Zavvi for €27, worth it at that price?

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    It's currently on sale on Zavvi for €27, worth it at that price?

Great and well worth it for that price, but you could be waiting weeks/months to get it from Zavvi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm absolutely loving this game. Completely quirky and mad! Over 33 hours in and on chapter 14 of 17. Last night I decided to ordered the steel book edition of Yakuza Kiwami.

I could see how some people would not like it but you do owe to yourself to give it a go. More Shenmue than GTA and very, very Japanese.

I think it'll be one of those games where I'll be sad when the ending credits roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I really liked it for the first 10 hours or so, and then felt myself getting awfully bored. I felt it was closer to a telltale game than say GTA, there's a lot of watching the story, and go here to hear more of the story. Not my cupan tae.

Yeah I completely understand that view. In some of the early stages I did find it pretty slow with too many cut scenes. However it does speed up. I don't get much time to play games at the moment but I've completed a few chapters in the last few days with some very good action pieces.

It's a real love our hate game.

Yeah the start is very cutscene heavy but I think it's around chapter 4 it opens up. I got a bit burnt out midway through from doing to meet sidequests but when I went back to the story, I couldn't put it down till I cleared it. If you're feeling the same, I'd suggest leaving off the side stuff and businesses til after you clear it.

Yeah I agree with that. I need to finish it before Christmas as I'll be occupied with a Switch so I have breezed through chapters 9 to 13 in the past few days. The story accelerates around then.

Finally got around to finishing it. Just watching the credits now. What a game! I have to say Goro Majima is one of my favourite video game characters now, despite this being my first Yakuza game.

Great soundtrack too. Look up YouTube for the vocal version of Reign. Looking forward to the Kiwami now.

Edit - after over 42hrs my completion rate is only 22.79%! Lol.

Finally got around to finishing it. Just watching the credits now. What a game! I have to say Goro Majima is one of my favourite video game characters now, despite this being my first Yakuza game.

You can vote for Majima as best character in the boards GOTY awards that are live now :) #MakeGamingGreatAgain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    You can vote for Majima as best character in the boards GOTY awards that are live now :) #MakeGamingGreatAgain

they're locked...

I wasn't even aware the game awards were going on :(

SeantheMan wrote: »
    they're locked...

I wasn't even aware the game awards were going on :(

See the opening post of this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057816597

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Going to start this( my first Yakuza game ) . Do ye recommend Japanese or English audio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

brady12 wrote: »
    Going to start this( my first Yakuza game ) . Do ye recommend Japanese or English audio ?

I don't think there is an English audio option at all. Japanese would definitely be best anyway imo.

If there is a choice, go with Japanese, yeah there'll be a lot of reading but the way they deliver their lines is epic. KIRYUUUUUUUUUU!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus there's a lot of dialogue that would just sound weird in English. It can be weird enough reading the subtitles but at least it's softened by not being able to hear it spoken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Open to correction, but only Judgement, Like a Dragon and the OG Yakuza 1 got an English cast dub. I bring this up only so we can all marvel at the fact that Mark Hamill once played Goro Majima.

My first Yakuza game I'm
    About 5/6 hours into just wondering iv unlocked 3 fight styles should I put all my money and attention to 1/2 or all 3 ? Afraid to make a mess of my first play through in the series ...

brady12 wrote: »
    My first Yakuza game I'm
    About 5/6 hours into just wondering iv unlocked 3 fight styles should I put all my money and attention to 1/2 or all 3 ? Afraid to make a mess of my first play through in the series ...

The one thing i didn't like in 0 was the upgrade system, everything was so expensive and being able to lose money didn't help. I'd recommend getting the first few upgrades across all fighting styles as they all come in very handy. I was never a fan of Kiryu's beast but ended up being my go to style for later game. Some bosses are now susceptible to certain styles as well so i wouldn't ignore any of them.

Once upgrades start getting really expensive, then go with the styles you enjoy using most, really no way to mess it up as long as you have the first few tiers of upgrades in each style. If you're unsure, look up guides on quick ways to make money to pump into upgrades. I didn't have many upgrades at all as i was unsure which ones to get so never fully committed to the expensive ones, game was still a lot of fun.

I didn't think I could like a beat em up until I played this game granted it's cut scene heavy or a subtitled game but I sure liked this !50 hours to finish it my first yakuza game . I have to say for a finish I loved using majima much more easy fight with . The story unreal and what a beautiful game colours really pop on LG CX . I think I will play like a dragon next and go back to kiwami 1 in time .

Advertisement