Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Driver Install in Windows 10?

Options
  • 20-01-2017 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭

I have a generic ultrabook Im trying to fix for someone, I grabbed the appropriate drivers and am trying to install them to fix the common touchscreen issues in Windows 10 (press on one part of the screen and it registers the touch in another part of the screen).

I see multiple reports of the drivers fixing this issue and the Microsoft touchscreen driver being the problem but I cant get them to install in Windows 10, every time I try to install them using the normal method it tells me the HID touch screen driver is up to date, and when I check its still the Microsoft driver, how do I force Windows 10 to install whats in the driver folder I supplied? Ive used driver forcing tutorials like this but nothing seems to work:

https://en.code-bude.net/2015/08/19/how-to-install-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-10/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Thargor wrote: »
    I have a generic ultrabook Im trying to fix for someone, I grabbed the appropriate drivers and am trying to install them to fix the common touchscreen issues in Windows 10 (press on one part of the screen and it registers the touch in another part of the screen).

I see multiple reports of the drivers fixing this issue and the Microsoft touchscreen driver being the problem but I cant get them to install in Windows 10, every time I try to install them using the normal method it tells me the HID touch screen driver is up to date, and when I check its still the Microsoft driver, how do I force Windows 10 to install whats in the driver folder I supplied? Ive used driver forcing tutorials like this but nothing seems to work:

https://en.code-bude.net/2015/08/19/how-to-install-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-10/

I assume you've verified the installed version is indeed superceded. Have you tried uninstalling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't update it, uninstall it then install the OEM driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    Don't update it, uninstall it then install the OEM driver.

Yeah I ended up doing this, thankfully one of the driver packages I downloaded had an install.bat that I could run to get them installed, otherwise I was screwed.

I would still like to know how to force a driver to install in 10 when you just have the driver itself, I know I'll run into this again when I'm trying to flash roms onto phones etc, it doesn't seem to be possible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well if its unusual you can uninstall + delete the cached copy. Then refresh and becomes an unknown device. Then you install and point to where the .inf is. For stuff that MS has generics for I'm actually not sure, haven't had to deal with that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    Well if its unusual you can uninstall + delete the cached copy. Then refresh and becomes an unknown device. Then you install and point to where the .inf is. For stuff that MS has generics for I'm actually not sure, haven't had to deal with that yet.
    What refresh though? The only refresh was a reboot and that installs the generic MS driver...

• Advertisement
Advertisement