Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday in Canary Islands or Majorca

Options
  • 20-01-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Can decide between the above as to where to go for a weeks road cycling in late Summer. I am told Lanzarote is too windy. Can anyone offer feedback as to the best island to go to and recommend a self catering hotel and where to rent a road bike on whatever choice you suggest. Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

Can decide between the above as to where to go for a weeks road cycling in late Summer. I am told Lanzarote is too windy. Can anyone offer feedback as to the best island to go to and recommend a self catering hotel and where to rent a road bike on whatever choice you suggest. Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

You could also consider Gran Canaria

I've cycled there on holidays many times . Perfect weather and roads. Certainly less windy than Lanzarote . Also the Freemotion chain are a great rental shop with high end bikes .
    Pro cycling teams are often there too so you never know who you might meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Go to Majorca.

Spent 10 days cycling in Lanzarote over Christmas. Its very windy, which you can put up with, but its now totally over crowded and the roads are crazy busy. Tour buses, trucks and rental cars(F*ckin fiat 500's running you off the road). I will never go back there. Speaking to people over there they told us that 2016 has been mental busy. Its now the go to place for Brits that used to go to Tunisia and east med resorts. I cycled in lanza six years ago and loved it, very quite roads. Allot has changed since.

A club mate spent Christmas in Gran Canaria and he said the same as me, really busy roads compared to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Folks,

Does it really need to be an island?

Northwest of Spain would be my choice.

http://bikeasturias.net

Disclaimer: I am biased. I am from there. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

look at mallorca and go to playa de muro area or port alcudia area - easy access into the hills. nice scenery and friendly towards cyclists on the road - some websites to look at are below

mallorcacycling.co.uk
    seemallorca.com/cycling/guide
    tramuntanacycling.com

you will get information on routes and bike hire etc. you can fly with both EI and FR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Whatever about the wind on Lanzarote, the hills aren't too high. Tenerife or Gran Canaria would be better choices. The traffic is fine once you pick the right roads. I agree with the previous post, its tourists in cars that are a concern, rather than locals who are always respectful.

Better still is Mallorca which would probably be cooler than the Canaries at that time of year.

They are all great for cycling, but Mallorca would be my favourite. You wont go wrong with any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 Majorca!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

If you are going late summer it opens up a lot more options. Bear in mind the Canaries are a 4.5 plane ride away. Parts of spain and france should be plenty warm enough at that time of the year and much closer with the likelihood of cheaper flights.
    Because of the year round climate flights to the canaries never really dip into the budget price range but bike hire and accommodation should be no problem. For Gran Canaria look at the Maspalomas / Meloneras areas as opposed to Playa Ingles

I went to Majorca in mid October several years ago and the weather was still good for cycling and would have no problem going back.

I was on a non cycling holiday in Santander and the Asturias in September this year and would definitely recommend going back there with a bike. The airport was the easiest i have ever been in to get out of and there was a cycle path all the way to the city centre from the arrivals lounge.

Girona would be another good option for that time of the year and you could find a very cheap flight to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Did Majorca last year in april and September and loved it, weather was perfect for cycling and relaxing and the cycle routes are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Don't rule out Portugal either - fabulous cycling in the hills above the Algarve!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

A club mate spent Christmas in Gran Canaria and he said the same as me, really busy roads compared to other years.

I was there for the first half of december and it was exactly the same as it always is. Grand.

It's about timing your spins. Leave at 9am and everything is quiet. Leave mid-morning and you'll find it much busier.

And, as someone else said, it's about picking your routes.

Gran Canaria is a great place to cycle. Hoping to go back in early April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for all the replies folks. Think I might go for Majorca and basing myself in Alcudia. Can anyone possibly suggest accommodation and bike rental places to stay and rent a rod bike respectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Thanks for all the replies folks. Think I might go for Majorca and basing myself in Alcudia. Can anyone possibly suggest accommodation and bike rental places to stay and rent a rod bike respectively?

When I'm on my own I stay in the Siesta Apartments - cheap and clean. With family we use the Sol Alcudia which is nice but can be busy. Cycling friends have used the Delfin Azul which they like a lot. In general you cant go too far wrong with hotels in Alcudia. Its an older/family crowd rather than young lads/ladies on the tear.

For bike hire I use Sports Bequi -good bikes and nice staff. I have used another crowd, which I wont name, and found them terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Majorca can't go wrong if it's good enough for the pros that will do

I stay in puerto pollensa - get my bike from rentmarch.com and stay here : http://hoposa.es/hotels-destinations/puerto-pollensa/hotel-apartments-hoposa-villaconcha/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Going by current weather, i'd say head to one of the Canary Islands, at least the weather is consistently good and the quality of roads is very good.. Though even in late summer it's pretty hot there... Most people go for cycling holidays in Autumn/Winter to GC/Lanza...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Majorca +1. Stay in Puerto Pollenca, pretty, stylish, flat road and hills.

Was there twice last year on family holidays. Threw my helmet, shoes, pedals and a few other bits into hand luggage. No bikes prebooked. PP is small and compact and if you're staying in a central location 15 minutes of walking will bring you to at least 5 good bike hires places. Unless you're there when something like the Majorca 312 is on, you'll always get a good bike at a decent price. Single day rent 20-30 euros, longer works out cheaper.

Anyone here heading over to Majorca for the first week in April ? 2 of us heading over for a few days cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I've used Bike Experience Mallorca three times and can't fault them. They have some top quality Giants and Cervelos. I particularly enjoyed riding the Giant TCR i had last year. The TCR was built for tackling the hills of Mallorca.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

I have stayed in the viva tropic, which is the same place that Sport Active use and this year, I am using the hotel ivory between port alcudia and playa de muro - got both off booking.com as it allows me to view and compare. if you check mallorca cycling touts- they have a link to all the bike hire companies also - allows you to check and compare .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

jamesd wrote: »
    Anyone here heading over to Majorca for the first week in April ? 2 of us heading over for a few days cycling.

You looking for bodies or just curious?

• Advertisement

You looking for bodies or just curious?

If anyone was staying in the same area as us they are welcome to join us for the cycles - will do the sa colabra , lighthouse and trying to pick another nice days cycling.

Heading over in 2 weeks time for a few days - has anyone done Valldemossa via Port Valldemossa and back to Pollenca ?

(https://www.mallorcacycleshuttle.co.uk/valldemossa-back-to-port-pollenca.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm on the bus to Palma as I type after four days in Majorca. Was absolutely stupefyingly fantastic. Loadsa climbing, 450+k. Not one beep or glare or gesticulation. Lovely rental di2 Pinarello Gan. The only question I have is when can I come back.

I stayed in Illetas last summer and rented a bike from Liberty Sports. Fairly easy access to some nice routes around Calvia and the climb from Es Cap Della to Galilea is one of the nicest climbs I’ve done. A bastard, but a nice bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I've cycled in both and someone who enjoys nature and scenery it's Majorca hands down

Although Lanza will be a cheaper expedition overall, it just offer anything as special as the coll de soller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Heading over in 2 weeks time for a few days - has anyone done Valldemossa via Port Valldemossa and back to Pollenca ?

We did the bus to Andratx and cycle back trip last year when we were over there, great day on the bike, the intention was to go down to Port Valldemosa and back up but we missed the turn off the main road and didn't bother going back, said we'd leave it till next time.

Go for it I'd say, a very enjoyable excursion and a chance to see some of the island that might be out of normal range otherwise

https://www.strava.com/activities/975622420

nilhg wrote: »
    We did the bus to Andratx and cycle back trip last year when we were over there, great day on the bike, the intention was to go down to Port Valldemosa and back up but we missed the turn off the main road and didn't bother going back, said we'd leave it till next time.

Go for it I'd say, a very enjoyable excursion and a chance to see some of the island that might be out of normal range otherwise

Thanks , just booked it there now as the last few times we were over it was lighthouse day 1, Sa Calobra day 3 and then flat but scenic on day 5 so wanted something new different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BMCC1

Just back from Majorca. Stayed at the opposite end (Palma) but cycled up as far as Port Valldemossa - that descent is such a blast - you have to do it. Probably the most fun descent I have ever done - and no cars!

BMCC1 wrote: »
    Just back from Majorca. Stayed at the opposite end (Palma) but cycled up as far as Port Valldemossa - that descent is such a blast - you have to do it. Probably the most fun descent I have ever done - and no cars!

Hair pins or straight down ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

nilhg wrote: »

I'm over in May and the current plan is to do this as our long spin but possibly add in the drop into Port Valldemosa and Port Des Canonges. doing all that though would mean > 4,000m elevation, which might just be a bridge too far for us! time will tell...

Advertisement