Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday in Canary Islands or Majorca

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

BMCC1 wrote: »
    Just back from Majorca. Stayed at the opposite end (Palma) but cycled up as far as Port Valldemossa - that descent is such a blast - you have to do it. Probably the most fun descent I have ever done - and no cars!

Puig Major down to Soller is pretty frickin awesome too. Fast as you like.

i learned to my cost however how slippy damp hairpins can be. Came a cropper on the Col de Soller descent (Palma direction). Was taking it nice and handy, just a fraction too much lean and.... well, I won't be sleeping on my left hand side for a week or so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BMCC1

jamesd wrote: »
    Hair pins or straight down ?

Hair pins followed by more hair pins. Really narrow mountainside/rustic roads. The roads are so narrow it puts most people off taking cars down - but perfect for riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm off to Majorca on Thursday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm over in May and the current plan is to do this as our long spin but possibly add in the drop into Port Valldemosa and Port Des Canonges. doing all that though would mean > 4,000m elevation, which might just be a bridge too far for us! time will tell...

That's the beauty of the day, you can decide as you head back which you want to take in and which you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

nilhg wrote: »
    That's the beauty of the day, you can decide as you head back which you want to take in and which you don't.

yeah that's what we're thinking, unfortunately the shuttle won't have us in Andratx before 9am-ish so will be getting going a bit later than we'd like. having the freedom though to stop as and when you please for lunch / coffee etc is a very appealing aspect of the day. if we go for the big one I expect we'll be looking at a 6pm or 7pm return to Port de Pollenca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

07Lapierre wrote: »

I'm off on Friday 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Pack your mudguards lads the forecasts not great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

next thursday this time - arrive there for 10 days with bike -yipee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Pack your mudguards lads the forecasts not great ;)

I know. The forecast just got worse as the week went on!

Pain in the h***!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    ...i learned to my cost however how slippy damp hairpins can be. Came a cropper on the Col de Soller descent (Palma direction). Was taking it nice and handy, just a fraction too much lean and.... well, I won't be sleeping on my left hand side for a week or so. :(
    ...and if you're renting, the brakes will be the opposite way. Had a few squeaky bum moments with that over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

...and if you're renting, the brakes will be the opposite way. Had a few squeaky bum moments with that over the years.

yep, I had a bit of a shock on my first descent last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

bilbot79 wrote: »

I'm off on Friday 😀

We’re here, bikes assembled...... now, just waiting for the RAIN to stop! :( yep it’s raining, although the forecast is good for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What’s standard for you. I always had rear on RHS, but Genesis came from UK with it on the LHS and I just kept it that way. I pull both still have a tendency to use RHS more. When I get out on good bike again I wonder how I will fare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

We’re here, bikes assembled...... now, just waiting for the RAIN to stop! :( yep it’s raining, although the forecast is good for the rest of the week.

Ah no, hope it improves for ye as nothing worse.

Flying out Sunday week.

Advertisement